Fireworks - chickened out

I had both batteries charged, the inverter for recharging packed up, the GoPro charged with a spare battery and I was all set ...

until the wife said ...

"Why don't you just go and watch them?"

So I left the P3P and the GoPro at home and watched them live instead of through a monitor. I didn't even pull out the iPhone 6 out of my pocket.

Best Fireworks show in Years
Really?

Yes, if you somehow find yourself in a direct line of fire from the main mortar, you will likely lose your drone. But most of the pretty trails of sparklies are the size of a pea or smaller. and they are falling, not fired like a grenade.

No fear here but I do think if you fly through them this risk is definitely there.

I know during my filming this weekend the first explosion at 200 to 300 feet in the air would shoot pretty large projectiles that would explode again.

I did not get near anything that I considered large but got into a lot of stuff like below.

The ones that startled me where when I was 100' above (estimate) the fireworks looking straight down and I would get a missile going past me. So those few extra high ones caused a slight pucker !

DJI_0001.00_00_07_12.Still001.jpg

Reactions: skyhighdiver
These are a few I got on July 4th. I was really impressed with how many of the 2" exposures came out sharp.

Note: You can see people below in the shot, but I was careful to keep the drone far back, over an empty area behind buildings where no one was watching from due to no visibility.

2015-fireworks-red.jpg
2015-fireworks-white.jpg
2015-fireworks-blue.jpg

I really wanted to take the p3p down to the big show downtown but, I fire off my own fireworks. Anyway, I got some decent video and had a blast flying the phantom around my neighborhood on the 4th. The house on the left is me. I rig 4 tubes together x 2, one with a longer wick, light one, go and light the other...it makes for an interesting display, probably a little dangerous. Only one scare this year, 1 shell went off about 15 feet out of the tube.

It was awesome seeing all the fireworks going off across the city. Pretty good visibility that night although it did rain for about 20 minutes.

Reactions: Joe el Ojo
I chickened out too.

My friend and I spent around $500 on fireworks and I had fully intended to film or photograph (timed exposure) the festivities.

On the evening of the 3rd we sent up two rounds so I could try to find a good spot to hover. The first one was higher than I was so I mostly missed it, but I nailed the second one.

On the 4th we were grilling and drinking and having a good time. When it came to the fireworks show I decided to not fly as I was tired and a little buzzed and it was nice to watch them from the ground. It was good thing I didn't fly that night as the spot I chose to hover was down the street right above where someone else was shooting fireworks that night.

Settings please I tried long shutter speed but just got really blurry

The ones I posted were at ISO-1600 at 2".

Even at "only" two seconds, I still find that only 1/2 - 2/3 of the images come out sharp and clear. So, you just need to take several and expect that not all of them will turn out.

Another key for me is to monitor the h/s and v/s readings in the Pilot app. The drone can seem stationary in the gimbal follow view, but still be drifting slightly enough to affect a 12MP photo at long exposures. I always wait until they've read 0.0 for a second or two.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj