Firefighters Can't Save People Burning in Cars Because of Drone

The word now on CNN is that there were 5 drones!
Tomorrow on CNN -- that probably will be 10... most of CNN broadcasts are for ratings, and the drones are getting the ratings. Has absolutely nothing to do what actually happened.

Imho cnn is good for a laugh when u need one. [emoji4]

I find it hard to laugh at their incompetence, -- but maybe that is what I should do:D
If i didnt laugh, i would need a roll of duct tape. So when my head explodes, i would still have all the pieces. [emoji4]

Reactions: bobmyers
I do find I get increasingly incredulous when it supposedly happens over and over again and what few descriptions that emerge don't correspond to anything in the consumer sphere. It seems any unidentified object is now a consumer drone to the point that I have a feeling that alien UFO sightings have dropped inversely to the rise in drone sightings from aircraft regardless of altitude or location. I would be the first to want to slap a hobbyist flyer upside of the head for flying over or near a raging wildfire (not just for the risks to emergency aircraft but to themselves at such short ranges), but I haven't seen any actual evidence pointing to consumer drones, even though it supposedly is happening over and over. All that said, I would like more information from the people who supposedly see these objects as to what the objects look Iike and what they are doing or maybe the ASRS reports.
In ASRS right now there are 6 drone sightings for Jan-May 2015 under airborne conflicts or airspace violations. One was at FL250 and another was someone self-reporting that they flew an Inspire below 76 Ft and under tree top level within 5 miles of an airport. The others were at 3500ft (two at this altitude), 2000-2500 Ft, and an airliner FO who was looking for drones on approach to LaGuardia. I'll be curious to see the actual reports for these firefighting "drone" incidents.

i think the government has another agenda for articles like this. They will use it, regardless if it's true or not, to pass very strict drone laws in the future.

The MSM and it's propaganda is the drone's worst enemy. The government wants to be the only one that is allowed to operate drones. Drones give way too much power to the little people. It gives us eyes where the government don't want them. "Little people operating drones need to be stopped" , articles like these prove as much.

Not only was the image in the article taken from a helicopter, there is a helicopter in the picture!

So there were 2 copters in the air, but the firefighters could not go up there because of the drone.... Right.... And the news copters were not interfering.... Right.

I am actually starting to think, that the drones filming events are a threat to journalists, which is why the media is joining in the frenzy.
The reporters need to fly

I saw and heard a lot of the reports. I seriously doubt it was a small quad, but you never know. I do know that the one that halted the air operation over the Big Bear fire was a 4 foot wingspan plane that was flying around 1000 feet above the fire, they were concerned with it being sucked in the air intake on the jet that dropped retardant. Damage from something that big could be a problem for a jet engine.
As to the fire over the Cajon Pass I would think the winds were too strong for a small quad to handle easily, they may have been in the perimeter of the lines. I was watching the footage of the sky crane dropping water and he was having to head into the wind because it was so strong and then slip sideways over the cars on the freeway to dump.
So I think some of it hype of the media and they are overplaying it, but some of it could be true, hard to speculate with more facts.
Alan

This post does not belong in the P3 forum. Please post in the correct forums.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/psa-posting-in-the-p3-forum.48248/

I didn't realize how much this forum was a joke until this,,,I created this because it is something that should be discussed by people that want to fly drones,,,now it can't be posted except in news???

There are people bragging that they went 1600' AGL on the 'x flight,,but you think this is a post to move?????

I guess this is not something to discuss?????

Last edited:
It's all over the UK news..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33593981

US firefighters have condemned drone owners who flew their craft near forest fires and grounded helicopters being used to douse flames.

Lives were put at unnecessary risk because helicopters could not fly, said fire department officials.
The helicopters were helping to contain a large wildfire in San Bernadino county over the weekend.

Five drones spotted hovering over the fire were thought to be shooting video for their owners.

News footage of the fire shows people abandoning their cars to escape the flames as the fire engulfed Interstate 15 - a major road that links Los Angeles and Las Vegas. The fire destroyed 20 vehicles on the road and damaged 10 more.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4395/

upload_2015-7-20_20-26-37.png

What amazes me is the number of people on these forums who should know better who are so quick to believe every unsubstantiated "drone sighting". Especially the impossible ones, like hovering in high winds or flying to 15,000 ft.

Reactions: AmosMoses
The misinformation is incredible, someone said the drone at one fire was at 10,000' (which would not work for a Phantom), but it was 10,000' ASL, just over 1,000' AGL (if they had been at 10k AGL no one would have ever even noticed it, if it was there),,,reporters write stories but don't even understand what they are writting about,,its nothing new.

In 2008 watching CNBC a reporter one morning made the statement " The markets in Europe are closing",,,it went like wildfire,,they were all saying yes, the markets in Europe are closing, sounding like something really serious was happening,,,guess what,,they were closing, same time they close every day,,but they didn't realize it was the normal closing time so they made it so dramatic

I didn't realize how much this forum was a joke until this,,,I created this because it is something that should be discussed by people that want to fly drones,,,now it can't be posted except in news???

There are people bragging that they went 1600' AGL on the 'x flight,,but you think this is a post to move?????

I guess this is not something to discuss?????

He meant it's not a P3-specific topic and should be in the News section of the forum.

I have been quite busy lately and not able to post much, but there is so much wrong with this story and others like it that I have to chime in. Being an AF veteran and having seen what fixed wing and helos have endured and survived during wartime operations, it is MY BELIEF that there is little threat to rotary aircraft from the Phantom-size quadcopter. It will get eviscerated upon contact with a prop. Ever watch any video posted only where the quad contacts a fixed object? The result is immediate crash unless the pilot gets extremely lucky. Imagine it hitting a prop turning. No threat to aircraft safety, no more that a bird.

There is a DC-10 and B747 in the Cal Fire inventory that would be more seriously affected by ingesting a P2-size object into its intake. That said, based on my own experience looking for my P2 in flight, I very seriously doubt these aircrews could have laid eye on a P2 or similar quadcopter in flight based on the demanding nature of the low-level flying in the terrain they operate in, at the speed they move at. Just doesn't sound at all like it's plausible.

But then again, pilots reported UFOs all the time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4