Those Bad Drone People.............:(

Reaction score
Well, well, here was NBC News tonight with a story suggesting there are 1,000s of 'drone incidents' near airports nation wide.
And, they use a DJI Phantom 3 to show what sort of damage may result if a drone were to hit an aircraft's wing.
According to the news story, a 2 pound drone can cause significant damage to an aircraft's wing.

No doubt.

But, this story is just another example of the main stream media having a go at the drone hobby.

What NBC News didn't mention is the fact that it is illegal for drone pilots to come within some miles of any airport.

And, any drone pilot who ignores this, is operating their drone irresponsibly.

Just like vehicle drivers who operate their cars or trucks over a certain speed limit or boaters who operate their boats irresponsibly.

In the hands of morons who disregard the rules, ANY object(car, boat,drone or chainsaw) can become a danger.

The media love to 'pile on ' the drone hobby and leave the public with the distinct feeling that drones AND the people associated with them are irresponsible overall and require a heavy regulatory hand.

Tonight's NBC News story made no mention of the 1,000s of drone pilots out there who fly their aircraft responsibly and aren't any menace to society.
Doing so wouldn't be as sensational.

Reactions: Zymurgist and DR.B
And portraying the Phantom with it's distinguishing looks in this light makes peoples heads roll off their shoulders when you whip one out to fly.
Like guns, banning all drones will actually make the earth spin faster, birds chirp more and fix global warming.

Reactions: DR.B
Well, well, here was NBC News tonight with a story suggesting there are 1,000s of 'drone incidents' near airports nation wide.
And, they use a DJI Phantom 3 to show what sort of damage may result if a drone were to hit an aircraft's wing.
According to the news story, a 2 pound drone can cause significant damage to an aircraft's wing.

No doubt.

But, this story is just another example of the main stream media having a go at the drone hobby.

What NBC News didn't mention is the fact that it is illegal for drone pilots to come within some miles of any airport.

Just like vehicle drivers who operate their cars or trucks over a certain speed limit or boaters who operate their boats irresponsibly.

In the hands of morons who disregard the rules, ANY object(car, boat,drone or chainsaw) can become a danger.

The media love to 'pile on ' the drone hobby and leave the public with the distinct feeling that drones AND the people associated with them are irresponsible overall and require a heavy regulatory hand.

Tonight's NBC News story made no mention of the 1,000s of drone pilots out there who fly their aircraft responsibly and aren't any menace to society.
I comment a lot to my wife about tv news making news. They have to outdo the next station. They are a Drama show and they have to make you fearful, mad or upset. I’ve been through many hurricanes and 3 in less 30 days. The weather people get me all upset when they stand”in the hurricane “. They make it look like nothing. If they stand in the hurricane force winds, they will die. Things are flying that will kill you. The rain atomizes and looks like smoke when it hits thing. The wind isn’t a gust. It constant and relentless.

Thanks for all the replies.......that NBC News story came during a newscast in which I counted TEN......10 separate examples of news video that was shot by a drone.
Great overhead shots of hurricane and storm surge damage in the Carolinas as well as the Florida Panhandle.........there was also a drone shot of a bridge under construction.

These great overhead shots give viewers a lot more perspective about an event or the aftermath of an event that otherwise a viewer wouldn't get...

And, all these shots are courtesy of drones and the people who fly them.

Too bad the major news outlets(NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX and CNN) weren't forced(every time they use a drone shot or video) to acknowledge that fact.

Something like:

'Photograph courtesy of a drone' or ' Video courtesy of a drone '

I find more and more drone footage being used in newscasts and, I'm sure the media outlets sure appreciate the still shots and video footage they get.

But, then they go and use a story like the one aired by NBC News last night.

Truth is, that story last night wasn't really about the drone..........

It was about the few numbskulls out there who irresponsibly fly them.

Reactions: FCD
Very well said,Drones are changing the way of life for many people.Lets see some news for the positive effects they have and not just the negative.

Truth is, if the nightly newscasts(NBC;CBS;ABC,FOX.and CNN) removed all the great drone aerial footage they use, their news coverage wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

All the coverage of the hurricane and storm surge damage recently was absolutely enhanced courtesy of the great drone video these news outlets used.
And it came to them by responsible drone pilots using their aircraft to be 'eyes in the sky' and show the public the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Michael.

The overhead video of the Mexico Beach area of the Florida Panhandle was all done by drones and it was shocking how much damage there is there.
Basically, that whole area is wiped out.
Just devastated.

The mainstream media would not have been able to effectively cover this hurricane without the use of drones.

That's the nature of humans. Their fears, ignorance, and sometimes jealousy are fueled by the media and causes them to become violent towards anything they don't understand. I had a neighbor get puffy with me because he claimed I was spying on him. After I told him I was sorry he thought that and would not fly anywhere near his property. He continued to be aggressive so my two German Shepherds put him back in his truck . I was flying within the law, respectful to all, and never hovered or filmed anyone. Perhaps he had a grow operation? Not sure but that is what we are up against.

Truth is, if the nightly newscasts(NBC;CBS;ABC,FOX.and CNN) removed all the great drone aerial footage they use, their news coverage wouldn't be nearly as interesting....

As well as CNBC, HNN and others.

No doubt.

You know what? Here in WI, they allow ATVs to drive, unlicensed, on county roads. I thing THAT is a nuisance! They go faster than the 35mph they're supposed to go, they get in the way, they hassle bicyclers. I don't see THEM getting any bad publicity or negative news stories. They're noisier, too.

Welcome to “fake” news. The media today cannot seem to tell an unbiased story. They also report news, as you have indicated, selectively to reinforce their perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO
Let's not forget that NBC is the one that fabricated the stories of Chevy trucks exploding upon impact around the fuel tank and the flames coming from spigots because of fracking. I am Not refuting the fact that any near stationary object (relative to an airplane's operating speed) impacting the air frame would most likely cause damage. I haven't read the article, but given the media's current state of "journalism", I can only imagine.

Reactions: MTO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.