Finally fixed my Yaw Drift

Good luck ! I got my glass from a picture frame that the glass was 14"x14" and It worked great. Just don't let ya wife catch ya taking one down !:eek:
Used playing cards for the shims .

Last edited:
After reading the full thread on the DJI forum (great thread) I think a sheet of glass across the 4 motors and a bull’s-eye spirit level will do the job the best as it’s the motors that drive the Phantom and they are the most important thing to be level.

As for the IMU being level inside I don’t think this will mater as long as the motors are level. Even if the IMU is a mile off and you get motors level and calibrate the IMU. It will set its self to the same level (ie 0 0 0 0) as the motors, all should be fine. I would think this is how DJi would do it so they don’t have to set the IMU perfectly level with the body.

let me know what you guys think.

This is what I believe too. It seems to me that the whole point of the calibration is so that the system can determine what error margins exist between the IMU and the motor plane when it is level. All you should need to do is level the motors and do an advanced calibration.

Unless of course your Naza/IMU is not fastened down :D

Ya ... I get what ya saying and did another one earlier with just the glass on top to compare again . It fly's ok , not as tight as when I did the naza level but not off enough to really matter .
I was just trying all the ways to see just what was the way to go and all I saw was when 1 way is level the other 2 are not .

After a lot of experimentation, leveling and IMU adv calibration, my P2 still drifts forward during yaw. It's not bad enough to keep removing the case and tweaking, but it noticeable. I have a couple thoughts on this issue:
  1. No one has pointed out that we are just leveling the plastic case on the FC. The IMU inside might actually be at a different angle.
  2. The very first post on this issue concerned a yaw drift after installation of iOSD, Tx, gimbal, landing gear and GoPro. I had the same experience. Wouldn't the addition of all of those components throw off the balance of the P2? With the gimbal, GoPro and iOSD all installed toward the front of the craft, it might cause forward drift. When we level the FC and do ADV IMU calibration, it is still not taking into account the balance issue. We are basically blindly experimenting until we get the correct result, but it works.

It could and I think ya could mess with this forever . Mine really was fine when I started messing with this and just got carried away trying it all .
Done got good at removing the shell top though ;)
And welcome to the forum aerialavenue ! :)

Thanks for the suggestions about fixing yaw drift. I have a P1 with a gimbal and FPV transmitter attached to its underbelly, and was experiencing some bad yaw drift, in both yaw directions. The drift was so bad my P1 was almost un-flyable. Based on your suggestions, I bought a bubble level at Home Depot, pulled the top off my P1 and using the level on the top of the NAZA controller leveled my Phantom. I ran the advanced calibration with a fall blowing over the controller so I won't get the over-temp message. I put the top back on and made a test flight. To my surprise, my yaw drift was all but gone. Doing the calibration with the controller level was the trick.

If ya talking about this whole thread being " nice one " you are correct Fan !
Has solved a lot of folks drifting issues .
And welcome to the forum the both of ya's :)...Fan00m and Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers