Filing Flight Plan

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have a client that is asking about filing a flight plan. I have not been asked this before, so I was hoping for some clarity. The flight will take place in Class B airspace.
Thanks

Hello, new to the forum. I have a client that is asking about filing a flight plan. I have not been asked this before, so I was hoping for some clarity. The flight will take place in Class B airspace.
Thanks
Well there is no such thing as "filing a flight plan" for UAS flights. That terminology and procedure is for manned aircraft. If you are planning in Class B airspace, you need to:
  • Have your Part 107 license, or be flying as a hobbyist only at an approved club field.
  • Look at the VFR sectional charts and facilities maps to determine if you can fly in that specific area at all. If you can, then determine what is the maximum allowed altitude.
  • Apply for and receive authorization from the FAA. Depending on the airport, this should be available through LAANC. Don't apply for any altitude above the maximum altitude shown in the facilities map.
  • If necessary for that specific area, obtain a DJI NFZ unlock so that your UAS will be able to start and fly.
Once you have obtained authorization, make sure you fly only in the area, time, and altitude specified in the request. Be safe!

Reactions: BigAl07
You can fly anywhere as a hobbyist as long as it is not in restricted airspace for right now later LAANC will be made available for hobbyist which should make things better I hope:)

Well there is no such thing as "filing a flight plan" for UAS flights. That terminology and procedure is for manned aircraft. If you are planning in Class B airspace, you need to:
  • Have your Part 107 license, or be flying as a hobbyist only at an approved club field.
  • Look at the VFR sectional charts and facilities maps to determine if you can fly in that specific area at all. If you can, then determine what is the maximum allowed altitude.
  • Apply for and receive authorization from the FAA. Depending on the airport, this should be available through LAANC. Don't apply for any altitude above the maximum altitude shown in the facilities map.
  • If necessary for that specific area, obtain a DJI NFZ unlock so that your UAS will be able to start and fly.
Once you have obtained authorization, make sure you fly only in the area, time, and altitude specified in the request. Be safe!
Thanks for the response.

You can fly anywhere as a hobbyist as long as it is not in restricted airspace for right now later LAANC will be made available for hobbyist which should make things better I hope:)

A couple of points to clarify:

1) He stated it's "for a client" so the whole aspect of HOBBY is out the window at this point...

2) Ummmm I think you're mixing the term "Restricted" with "Controlled" airspace. LAANC won't help with Restricted airspace.

While this doesn't help with Part 107 operations (this is indeed a Part 107 operation) this is good for anyone who hasn't yet become intimately familiar with the new HOBBY Regulations that went into effect 5/17/2019:

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Thanks for the response.
Another question, if the class b airspace has a floor of 7000msl and ceiling of 12000msl, do I still need to get authorization from the FAA. Thanks again.

Another question, if the class b airspace has a floor of 7000msl and ceiling of 12000msl, do I still need to get authorization from the FAA. Thanks again.

If 7000msl is less than 400' AGL then yes. Your only concerns with airspace are the ones you'll fly in which would be between SRF and 400' AGL.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
A couple of points to clarify:

1) He stated it's "for a client" so the whole aspect of HOBBY is out the window at this point...

2) Ummmm I think you're mixing the term "Restricted" with "Controlled" airspace. LAANC won't help with Restricted airspace.

/[/URL]
@BigAl07 on first one I was trying to say as hobbyist you can fly in other places besides a AMA field on the second one your dead on meant to say controlled airspace Duh:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
@BigAl07 on first one I was trying to say as hobbyist you can fly in other places besides a AMA field on the second one your dead on meant to say controlled airspace Duh:oops:

Roger that :)

Reactions: dronesky

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31