Feeling lost after loss of drone

Just received a call from my insurance company. They've accepted my claim. :) The pictures I took of the Phantom were enough, like the claims adjuster said: "It looks pretty bad." So no need for a 3rd party assessment of the damage and what a possible repair might cost. Partially I believe my extended insurance coverage was a reason for this.

As the item is valued based on domestic prices for a similar replacement, I checked three Finnish dealers and they all charge 1599 € (~1755$) for a P3P. Mine is from Amazon.de and it cost 1395 € (~1530$), just the same price DJI now has for us Europeans, except DJI has the free shipping. So with 150€ deducted due to the policy, it means I can get it from DJI and not loose a penny (1449 € to pe paid). What a relief! This still leaves me with one working battery, which I might be able to use (dunno if it's safe to use a crashed battery?) and one RC, which I can sell off.

The separate parts would've cost at least as much as a new P3P, which is why there was no point trying to repair the bird and the insurance company didn't require it.

So this case seems to have a happy ending. :) Thanks to everyone for the support and comments! I'll be flying sometime soon again. This time however with prop guards, carbon props and not close to possible RF interference sources. :p

One more follow-up: DJI has analysed the data, but they don't see any issue with the drone. However I'm still certain something happen with the signal, so RF interference looks very likely.

One point worth mentioning: DJI has a new policy, which forbids issuing discounts for buying crash replacements. This was the message today from the HQ in China. But thankfully mine was already covered by my home insurance.

I'm happy you got it back. Thanks for sharing your experience and sharing it in detail. I always like to read about crashes and learn so it doesn't happy to me. Although from what I read so far, we don't know for sure why it crashed but the possibilities that were shared is good enough for me.

Just received a call from my insurance company. They've accepted my claim. :) The pictures I took of the Phantom were enough, like the claims adjuster said: "It looks pretty bad." So no need for a 3rd party assessment of the damage and what a possible repair might cost. Partially I believe my extended insurance coverage was a reason for this.

As the item is valued based on domestic prices for a similar replacement, I checked three Finnish dealers and they all charge 1599 € (~1755$) for a P3P. Mine is from Amazon.de and it cost 1395 € (~1530$), just the same price DJI now has for us Europeans, except DJI has the free shipping. So with 150€ deducted due to the policy, it means I can get it from DJI and not loose a penny (1449 € to pe paid). What a relief! This still leaves me with one working battery, which I might be able to use (dunno if it's safe to use a crashed battery?) and one RC, which I can sell off.

The separate parts would've cost at least as much as a new P3P, which is why there was no point trying to repair the bird and the insurance company didn't require it.

So this case seems to have a happy ending. :) Thanks to everyone for the support and comments! I'll be flying sometime soon again. This time however with prop guards, carbon props and not close to possible RF interference sources. :p

How did you end up getting your home insurance to cover it?

How? Well, my insurance policy covers all my belongings also outside my home, including when travelling. It excludes sports equipment that gets damaged due to use and any engine powered vehicles. However a quadcopter is neither, so it's classed as a hobby device. Typical household and hobby related items, such as electronics, are covered. IMO a quadcopter is a staple nowadays and not a novelty. ;) I anyway filed it as a remote controlled camera, because it's not used for transportation. Also sent them pictures of it and what make and type it was. They made no sign of refusal. Will see if the terms are updated as drones become more commonplace.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl