Fast spins, can I slow it down?

Reaction score
I like the fact of how responsive the Phantom is but I would actually like the slow it down. How do I slow the yaw or rotate or spin or whatever you want to call it down for smoother videos. I don't know if the gain is the right thing to change or if there is something in the controller configuration.

Wheat said:
I like the fact of how responsive the Phantom is but I would actually like the slow it down. How do I slow the yaw or rotate or spin or whatever you want to call it down for smoother videos. I don't know if the gain is the right thing to change or if there is something in the controller configuration.

Adjusting gains won't help. You just need to be smooth and slow on the controls. Instead of grabbing the sticks at the tips, grasp them all the way at the base.

One thing I found that works great for me is when I am putting the videos in my project to present, I use Adobe After Effects and Premiere, I can slow down the video to any speed I want, this makes the video look great!

I did it in this video cause I was turning too fast

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikcbHdBHSmI[/youtube]

I have been shooting in 720 with 60 frames per second just so I could slow it down better in post but it would be better for turns and to rotate around a subject. Thanks for the info dirty bird. I was hopping for a technical answer and not just need more practice. I prefer easy fixes and not just hard work and practice :).

I find that squeezing the stick at the very bottom between the thumb and forefinger and then holding pressure down helps smooth the yaw.

Dirty Bird said:
Wheat said:

Adjusting gains won't help. You just need to be smooth and slow on the controls. Instead of grabbing the sticks at the tips, grasp them all the way at the base.

My friend listen to Dirty Bird. He is the one I turn to when I have a question because he knows his stuff when it comes to the Pv2+. He is absolutely correct. I am a beginner with the UAV's and I am flying with 100% caution until I get comfortable and from the looks of it that is going to take me a while. I can yaw my bird so slow its hard to see she is moving unless your are watching the FPV. Don't use the tip of the stick, choke down and use the base of the stick and just gently push it to one side or the other. The aircraft is capable of minute movements, I know because that is how I fly all the time LOL LOL, (I think it would be more interesting to watch paint dry than for someone to watch me fly.) I don't really use the FPV to fly, I find something I want to get a pic of I slowly fly her into position, put her into a hover and then set up my camera and move her one way or the other to get the angle I want and take the pic. Practice makes perfect and you will get there just as I will. The aircraft is capable of doing it, we just have to train ourselves to her capabilities. Good luck, and I wish you many hours of joyous flight............

Changing the panning rate in the Phantom may not be the best way to go, what if you see a subject while you are flying and the rate you have chosen is to slow to follow the subject, to late, you will never get that shot again.

The above posts are sound advise.

The panning rate is proportional to the input to the control stick, the more you move the lever, the faster the rate and visa versa.

Here is a portion of a video that I did other day. The original video is silky smooth but the compression I used has caused it to be jerky but I think it is a reasonable example of slow panning.

http://youtu.be/CxtZ6hmqEak

The aircraft is capable of minute movements, I know because that is how I fly all the time LOL LOL,
(I think it would be more interesting to watch paint dry than for someone to watch me fly.)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wheat said:

To answer your question, yes you can. But not by changing gains settings, it will require some basic soldering/electrical wiring skills and you can modify your TX to have duel rate control.

I have modified two of my controllers, so that I have a switch that I can turn on adjustable speed for the yaw as well as a slide potentiometer for the tilt function of the camera. That way the phantom behaves normally, and when needed I can make the model turn as slowly as I want. Below is a link to RemE's instructions (I have done a bit different but this is a great write up)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990

Here is a link to the tread for doing the slide potentiometer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 0&page=125

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj