False accusations of voyeurism, from a cop caught shinning my drone with laser !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might help to note that a laser can DESTROY the sensor on your camera. It appears this did not happen because you were able to record video after the incident but I can show you first hand how a laser can destroy the camera sensor. Of course you'll have to donate your camera for the test but it will destroy it if it's direct and powerful enough. I've got a green laser that will wipe it out in .00001 sec.
Do you really think he could of destroyed my camera from that far (250m) ?

Do you really think he could of destroyed my camera from that far (250m) ?
Think? No... know? YES! Keep in mind not every laser is created the same. I've got one that we use in Salt Water aquariums that literally boils a nuisance algae from outside the tank (through the glass and water). It will catch wood on fire from about 10' away and I can show you how it will accidentally burn holes through multiple layers of clothing and onto your skin. OUCH!

Reactions: N017RW
How could you tell the thug was holding a green laser pointer when you approached him and how did you manage to unpack your AC and remove the SD card to hand to your friend?

Last edited:
This is neither here nor there but, the first lunar lander's video camera burned out quickly because it was pointed in the direction of the sun so it failed to record a lot of the astronaut's footage while on the moon. I know technology has moved on just a little bit since then but I bet a green laser can and will do damage to a sensor. Maybe not a flash from a strong laser but with some length of time to the mix.

We'll sort of. Me being an Apollo fanatic, it was Apollo12, the second landing, when Alan Bean accidentally pointed the camera into the Sun during the set-up on a tripod. He was extemely sorry and embarrassed.

Reactions: isopro
How could you tell the thug was holding a green laser pointer when you approached him and how did you manage to unpack your AC and remove the SD card to hand to your friend?
I've all evidences required about this ready, but will not share what they are for obvious reasons.
As for documents, I went to the station to get documentations, and they say i must do a freedom of information act request, and wait weeks, anyway my job warning other drone users that this type of situation is done, and i do not have to proove anything to anyone here, also obviously in order to protect my evidences, i will not share any other evidence...
Also I knew some peoples would be negative about this post, but it was important for me to warn others, that this can happen, and that if they gather evidences of someone flashing them with a laser, go directly to the police or just land and do nothing, because if you go to someone door to warn him about the dangers of doing that, bad surprises could happen like it did to me...

Thanks everyone

Reactions: snowghost and SGs
Confronting someone is always risky, whether he is a Police officer or not.
And it's risky whether it's a road rage incident, someone playing music too loudly, someone blowing smoke your way while you are trying to enjoy your dinner etc.

The person could be crazy, under the influence, armed etc.
You never know.

Even when they are in the wrong, no one backs down.
I rarely ever ever got anyone saying "You know what, you are absolutely correct and I apologize, I made a mistake. I am sorry."

Instead they feel cornered, they will lie in your face, become aggressive, they will talk back, it becomes an argument, then a shouting match, someone starts pointing a finger etc.

People think wrongly that freedom means do "whatever you want". The selfish approach to feeling free and independent in a densely populated area doesn't work.

Wish you the best outcome in this situation and yes, do not discuss this on or offline anymore.

Reactions: SGs and N017RW
What I see that the cop was just playing with his laser as a bad cop indeed so when you went to him he got worried maybe!? So he took advantage of his badge and ate you at lunch before you eat him at dinner if you got what I mean
However I was wondering why you went to him in first place
When you see something is wrong just land your aircraft & leave and swear never speak of it.
Don't go sneaking for troubles what I say

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What I see that the cop was just playing with his laser as a bad cop indeed so when you went to him he got worried maybe!? So he took advantage of his badge and ate you at lunch before you eat him at dinner if you got what I mean
However I was wondering why you went to him in first place
When you see something is wrong just land your aircraft & leave and swear never speak of it.
Don't go sneaking for troubles what I say

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

well i went to him thinking it was some kid, and wanted to warn the kid before he get in trouble for real with the police, plot twist "the kid was a police" !

I would have NOT confronted the guy shinning a laser to me. Chances are is a teenager, a drunk or an idiot having fun. In your case was a stupid cop.
If you wanted action taken against the individual, the best course would have been:
- find out the local and federal laws regarding laser pointed to aircrafts
- make a few copies of the video
- go to local police, show and give them a copy of the video and ask for action on their part
- show them the law in case the ignore you
- ask for investigation updates
If you are ignored, post EVERYWHERE the video, show the house and mention that local law is not doing their job that you pay for and could have caused a crash and injury.

Your first mistake has been pointed out already, you were illegally flying at night, flying over people and flying over houses. Then, you wanted to play vigilante and chase down the perp to give him what for. Learn your lesson and move on. Fly legally, fly safe.

Your first mistake has been pointed out already, you were illegally flying at night, flying over people and flying over houses. Then, you wanted to play vigilante and chase down the perp to give him what for. Learn your lesson and move on. Fly legally, fly safe.

Do you have supporting documents that show those actions are illegal at his location?

Do you have supporting documents that show those actions are illegal at his location?
It was stated he's in Canada. Someone stated the rules up there. Just going on that. But even still, flying in populated neighborhoods is just plain dumb. You're just asking for trouble.

False it is perfectly legal to fly at night, over houses and peoples in Canada...

It was stated he's in Canada. Someone stated the rules up there. Just going on that. But even still, flying in populated neighborhoods is just plain dumb. You're just asking for trouble.
Well i've flown in Toronto, Montreal, and other big cities, my stuff was used and published in some magasines, websites, etc(I gave it for free), 9.9999999% of the feedback i get is positive, I've 0 crash and over 3000 succesful flights in populated area(over 800 in this city), flying a drone is safer then a real size aircraft and helicopter, over populate area(if experienced and you do proper airworthiness maintenance, checkups, etc)...

Well i've flown in Toronto, Montreal, and other big cities, my stuff was used and published in some magasines, websites, etc(I gave it for free), 9.9999999% of the feedback i get is positive, I've 0 crash and over 3000 succesful flights in populated area(over 800 in this city), flying a drone is safer then a real size aircraft and helicopter, over populate area(if experienced and you do proper airworthiness maintenance, checkups, etc)...
I'm glad all of that supersedes the rules. You're good to go.

The
“Do’s and don’ts” for flying your drone" are not law, they are basic advises by transport canada and have no force of law...
Ah, here we go again. Fly however you like. I'm not your keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20