Failsafe behavior for non-GPS

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone.

May I ask what will happen if the DJI is flown with 'Ready-to-fly (NON-GPS)' status and looses the signal from the remote controller? what will it do when the failsafe is triggered?

Thanks in advanced!

From what I've gathered and IME it will maintain altitude and compass bearing but will drift with the wind. Essentially, ATTI.

My understanding is if you have a home position established it will RTH as normal to the home position wherever that is. If you never got sufficient sats to get a home position it will land straight down wherever it is.

I think I remember reading or watching a video someplace that BlackTracer is correct. But I too am interested in the definitive answer. Thanks.

I haven't actually witnessed the behavior, but reading the manual I remember this:

If you lose GPS 'lock' by having less than 6 satellites (not sure how long you need to have lost the 6th satellite--maybe 20 seconds like below), the Phantom will be in Attitude mode unless it finds 6+ satellites again.

If you are in failsafe mode and you lose GPS 'lock' by having less than 6 satellites for more than 20 seconds, the Phantom 2 Vision+ will land where ever it is. It will not return to home or will stop where ever it is in the process of returning to home and land.

BlackTracer said:
My understanding is if you have a home position established it will RTH as normal to the home position wherever that is. If you never got sufficient sats to get a home position it will land straight down wherever it is.

If in 'Ready-to-fly (NON-GPS)' mode, then it will not have a home position established.

When flying in ATTI mode and you lose signal, your phantom will come home and land (assuming you have setup your failsafe as such and had a home position registered at start-up)

When flying in ATTI mode and you lose signal, your phantom will come home and land (assuming you have setup your failsafe as such and had a home position registered at start-up)

Sanderx, This seems to contradict everything I have been told about failsafe without GPS (ATTI mode). Can you point me in the direction of where you got this info? OR have you done this and had it fly to the originally recorded home point? Or am I missing something here?

Tnx

sanderx said:

In ATTI mode Phantom does not care about GPS, it does not know where it is. How could it know the way to fly home?

Let's see if the manual is of any help:

4.2 Failsafe Procedure
Initiating the Failsafe mode from different flying statuses will results in different landing processes.

Ready to Fly (non-GPS) ---- Automatic landing
The Flight Control System will keep the aircraft level during descent and landing. It may be drift during the descent and landing process.

Ready to Fly ---- Automatic go home and land
The Flight Control System will automatically control the aircraft to fly back to the home point and land.

Page 41 of the phantom 2 Vision Plus manual

Thank you guys for answering and SilentAV8R for pointing out the right answer in the manual. But I have a follow up question. If I take off in ''Ready-to-fly (NON-GPS)' status and S1 switch is set to ATTI and ascend at a position where the DJI can get more than 6 satellites and toggle the S1 switch to GPS mode what will happen? Will it still assists me to stabilize the DJI if I let go of the control stick?

Yes it will fly in gps mode as it has now got 6+ satellites.
I have done this only once.

DoubleD,

Do you know if (using the above 2 posts), it in fact DOES acquire 6+GPS sats sometime AFTER take off, will a new home point be recorded wherever it found the 6+ sats?

What I am wondering, is, if as Daimous says in his post, he takes off without 6+ sats, Flies 200 feet up and 300 feet out and THEN the phantom gets 6+ sats. Does this become the recorded home point ? And if upon further flying, at some point it initiates a failsafe, will it return to this "new" home point that he acquired 200 feet up and 300 feet out ?

Or is the software smart enough to know that he is somewhere mid-flight, and therefore do not record a home point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl