Failed Compass Calibration - Cannot Fly

Did this happen after a crash?

Hope someone can help here.

Harry

Yes but it was not a hard hit

harrysdrone said:
Hi,
Same here but after a crash.
Dji suggested I ask for a replacement from dealer, Instead of telling me the problem.
Now I have a phantom as decoration.

Did this happen after a crash?

Hope someone can help here.

Harry

For what it's worth: the first week I had it I had no compass due to assembling it with a magnetic screw driver. I still flew it every day without a problem.

D'oh, well looks like I am the same boat. Just FINALLY got my Phantom today, and I can't calibrate the compass. I still flew it around the yard but the compass is not calibrated and I'm just getting blinking green lights in GPS mode. It definitely does not stay in one place in GPS mode.

I'd love to upgrade to 2.02 to see if that fixes it but I don't have a Windows computer.

Maybe I'll go bug my neighbor.

Ok, so I have a MacBook Pro in which I downloaded the Windows 8 Preview awhile back. Them preview expired this month so I assumed I would no longer be able to access it. Since I couldn't get my compass to calibrate, I tried it anyway and Windows did boot fine, I just have one hour to use it and then my computer restarts - no big deal, I still have plenty of time to adjust settings with the Naza-M software.

So, after multiple compass calibrations, I finally got it calibrated, I guess. I did the basic calibration in the Naza-M assistant, then the advanced, then I used a magnet, then I did the advanced again. Finally got it to calibrate and not give me the red-yellow-red-yellow lights. Frustrating.

So I flew it in ATTI mode and it flew ok, didn't drift too much, then flew it in GPS mode - it's drifting hard right and accelerating! Not sure what is going on there, so I need to do some more research to see what I am doing wrong.

It's supposed to basically stay in the same position during GPS mode, correct? I'm just getting a slow blinking green in GPS mode.

Ok, I'm giving up for the night. I think the compass is calibrated but I keep getting error 27 that the GPS is not calibrated.

Ok good to go. Got it flying in GPS just fine. I think I wasn't flying high enough, and when I started flying it much higher it started getting the hold and holding position.

Bez Crunst said:
Check out the new DJI "How To" video #7 showing how to fix a compass that is beyond normal calibration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo ... 8XhIrjtx3h

Luv Bez xxxxx

The video worked for me! I moved the magnet around the sensor until I got rid of the Y's negative number.

But for some reasons in the beginning, I could not go into the compass calibration mode by flipping the ATTi switch 6-10 times!

I must be lucky, my Phantom arrived yesterday, and Calibrated with only one disturbing fact, only 5 Sats, so did a check with my GPS and sure enough only 5 Sats within range. As it was, and still is rather windy, no flying yet. Checked with my Ano and wind at 15 mph, gusts to 25 mph.

Right, now about the magnetizing, in my experience the suggested method of demagnetizing should work. In the past I was involved with demagnetizing items, and methods used involved several choices depending on item and size. these methods could be the use of a large electronic coil, through which the item would be passed, or a permanent magnet moved around the item, or item being hit with a heavy metallic instrument. (Large heavy hammer). The rule used in the first two choices were that you used same polarity to same, if you do plus to minus you increase the magnetism.

I'm having trouble calibrating my compass. My values are way out of whack but they never change even when I put a magnet near it. Is there anything else I can try? This is what I get regardless of position/magnet proximity:

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-13%20at%203.03.14%20PM.png

This is new out of the box, so no flight time, crashes, etc.

Apparently even when the compass is completely disconnected, it recognizes horizontal calibration but not vertical calibration so that's obviously a red herring. Seems I got a defective unit. Does anybody know a better way to contact DJI than their web site contact form? I would really like to have this thing flying before Christmas...

bees said:
I'm having trouble calibrating my compass. My values are way out of whack but they never change even when I put a magnet near it. Is there anything else I can try? This is what I get regardless of position/magnet proximity:

Are the numbers not fluctuating at all and just sticking on that number? Some times passing a magnet around the compass takes a few try's! I must of past one over mine 20 or so time's before I got to the right levels!! Pass the magnet around it and set it down level and check keep doing it until you notice any change, Also make sure where you set it down there is no magnet, Cell phone, electronics or anything that may contain a magnet even your screw driver any where near the compass as this while give you high readings! Good luck.

phantomflyer said:
bees said:

Are the numbers not fluctuating at all and just sticking on that number? Some times passing a magnet around the compass takes a few try's! I must of past one over mine 20 or so time's before I got to the right levels!! Pass the magnet around it and set it down level and check keep doing it until you notice any change, Also make sure where you set it down there is no magnet, Cell phone, electronics or anything that may contain a magnet even your screw driver any where near the compass as this while give you high readings! Good luck.

The numbers didn't fluctuate at all. I tried the magnet trick to no avail. One step from giving up and sending it back, I decided to try flicking the compass module really hard with my finger to try to knock anything that may have gotten stuck. To my surprise it did the trick and the values started fluctuating; I was then able to do the magnet trick and calibrate it. I am still tempted to send it back as I am worried the compass module is defective, and I have not heard back from DJI on whether they'll send me a replacement, but at least I have something to fly for the thirty days while I make that decision.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl