FAA rules that make no sense. Post your opinion.

Reaction score
Anyone got their take on FAA drone rules? Which do you think make no sense or can not be enforced. Which should be discussed and repelled as obsolete?

Would you agreed that owning a drone is already treated almost as owning a car. With licensing, registration and insurance. Yet more restricted then driving a car. Even though being much safer if you count 30000 dead every year in car crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pwsl100
The FAA is probably the most respected airspace regulator in the world. I part because of its efforts, the fatality rate for commercial airlines is more than 10x lower than automobiles, for far more miles traveled.

It is clear that they have gotten most things right. They face many changes and challenges they need to address, drones being one of them. Do they have it completely correct? Probably not, but they will get there. Consider the Boing 737 Max 8 problem they have. It seems quite likely that had some role in the crashes due to the anti stall system’s approval, and the death of hundreds of people. This is a far more serious problem that studying what may be some overly restrictive drone regulations. They will get there eventually.

Doesn't make any difference what laws the FAA is making. The States, Counties and local municipalities are making their own drone laws. It's a mess alright. Soon it will be illegal for a hobbiest to fly a drone, period!

This isn’t quite right. Depending on which local laws you look at, many of them violate the FAA mandate, and will get struck down over time. The FAA mandate covers most airspace above ground. Organizations can request special treatment, which is often granted, but the FAA gets to make the call

A simplified analogy might be bicycles, skateboards and other rideables kids have. Everything’s ok, until they go into the street, or pop out in front of someone in a parking lot. The FAA 107 rules are designed to keep drones and other flying vehicles away from each other, not just to spoil one’s day.

Another is that children generally need to follow their parents instruction (of course, there are some who are smarter and wiser;o). Persons without knowledge of safety, healthcare or disease processes may want to listen to their parents or doctor. There are things in the world that can cause injury, pain, disease. Rules are in place for reasons. Not everyone knows them all, and some are less than perfect. I assure you, sometimes rules are rushed to meet the demands of those overseeing the process.

Who is 100% satisfied with laws involving driving motor vehicles? Running a restaurant? A kid under a parent? A truth in the matter is that rules are set up to protect people. As an attempt to be consistent from state to state.

Anyone got their take on FAA drone rules? Which do you think make no sense or can not be enforced. Which should be discussed and repelled as obsolete?

Would you agreed that owning a drone is already treated almost as owning a car. With licensing, registration and insurance. Yet more restricted then driving a car. Even though being much safer if you count 30000 dead every year in car crashes.
Maybe you could start us out with the ones you think "don't make sense" or ones that "should be repelled as obsolete".

What would make more sense if the FAA in there testing made the questions relevant to what we can actually do with the drone

I would love to hear exactly what part of the FAA testing/rules etc do not have anything to do with drones. I look forward to hearing that information as I can't find anything.

The funny thing is, the rules only end up affecting the law abiding. AND, that is coming from a police officer who is 107 certified. Believe me, bad guys aren’t going to comply; and lots of people who just have no idea their toy is regulated by the FAA, will be caught in the red tape. I’ve had to educate other police officers who fly for fun, that they need to register with the FAA... I think the 107 test should have an actual practical test. If you have years of flying RC you’ll pass... if you just want to buy a drone to do illegal activities, you’ll probably fail. How many non Rc type people can fly their drone without watching the video feed? I can... but somebody who just wants to buy a drone to fly it miles out of sight won’t bother to learn... the 107 test (while interesting to know) doesn’t prove anything... I’m not landing at airports, nor calling ATC on the radio, nor flying in the rain, nor care what airports have fuel etc.

This isn’t quite right. Depending on which local laws you look at, many of them violate the FAA mandate, and will get struck down over time. The FAA mandate covers most airspace above ground. Organizations can request special treatment, which is often granted, but the FAA gets to make the call

Reactions: David_Cambridge
The funny thing is, the rules only end up affecting the law abiding. AND, that is coming from a police officer who is 107 certified. Believe me, bad guys aren’t going to comply; and lots of people who just have no idea their toy is regulated by the FAA, will be caught in the red tape. I’ve had to educate other police officers who fly for fun, that they need to register with the FAA... I think the 107 test should have an actual practical test. If you have years of flying RC you’ll pass... if you just want to buy a drone to do illegal activities, you’ll probably fail. How many non Rc type people can fly their drone without watching the video feed? I can... but somebody who just wants to buy a drone to fly it miles out of sight won’t bother to learn... the 107 test (while interesting to know) doesn’t prove anything... I’m not landing at airports, nor calling ATC on the radio, nor flying in the rain, nor care what airports have fuel etc.

While I agree with the majority of what you stated, the last portion is entirely wrong. Just because YOUR not flying near airport etc doesn't mean that everyone in the nation isn't flying at/near airports. I've actually flown FROM/OVER an airport runway last fall (legally and coordinated). It can happen and there are good reasons why we should know that information.

Keep in mind that Part 107 encompasses a LOT more than just Phantoms and Mavics. It covers a lot more than just Real Estate images and pretty landscape scenes. Some of us do fly at/near airports and some of us are in direct contact with ATC for some flights. Part 107 covers all nonHobby/Recreational flights that are under 55lbs which is a lot more than you'd think. Part 107, as it stands today, has to cover just about anything you can do with a sUAS outside of hobby/recreational.

I whole heartedly agree that Part 107 should have a Flight Demonstration aspect and I voiced that opinion in the comments on the new NPRM section that closed today. If you can't physically fly a sUAS safely then you should have the card in your pocket.

The problem is you can be cited by the local authorities and judged by them. All your neighbor has to do is call the cops and complain you are spying on them, or, you are flying in airspace deemed legal by the Feds but not by the municipality. Legally this situation is a mess and getting worse. I don't think any of us has the money to hire lawyers to take a case that pits Federal authority over local authority.

Reactions: shegeek72
All true, but if it is important, society will get it sorted out. The rules for control of marine traffic took a long time to evolve, but now they are comprehensive, obeyed, and providing safe marine traffic worldwide. Where there is conflict and disagreement right now is around the sea boundaries governing fishing and sea bottom mineral extraction. That will get worked out eventually, as it is to everyone’s best interests to have a common definition.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you review the common FAA regulations associated with manned flight - CFR Part 91, Part 135, and Part 121 - you will see that there is a large safety margin built into everything associated with ones operation of an aircraft.

From the requirement for multiple, critical mechanical systems on the aircraft themselves, weather minimums for commercial operators, altitude separations in cruise, crew training...it goes on and on. This is the way the FAA thinks - their Paradigm so to speak - a nice 'fudge factor' - and it's a very good thing too, as there is a lot to lose if things go wrong.

And then it happened. A whole new industry suddenly went mainstream - in the form of readily accessible, complex UAV's flying all around - and the FAA found itself 'behind the power curve', and it had to react NOW.

Their first priority - as I see it - was to protect what they have always known - manned aircraft - from these UAV's. Next priority, integrate them both recreationally and commercially into the airspace that they are responsible for. This second priority is still in the final making, and we shall see.

So, can things be a bit disjointed right now for the guy who buys a 'drone' at Best Buy and wants to 'legally' fly it that afternoon. Yes. Will things become more clear as the FAA catches up? Yes...IMO..

Maybe you could start us out with the ones you think "don't make sense" or ones that "should be repelled as obsolete".

I would love to hear exactly what part of the FAA testing/rules etc do not have anything to do with drones. I look forward to hearing that information as I can't find anything.
when you take the drone test you are asked info as to what way you will enter a landing pattern for an airport, what wingtip vortices do on a plane and other useless questions that do not apply to a drone

One of the problems is for years there was near no control on the flying of "toy" drones. Those drones have become more and more capable to the point of vying for airspace that was only (primarily) occupied by manned aircraft.

I'm in my backyard flying my "toy" drone. There are 50' trees boarding my backyard. Should the FAA have any concern about my flight in my backyard at 25'? If any manned aircraft invades that space I think the last of the worries is my "toy" drone. There has to be some area where the FAA says we don't care what you do in that airspace. In this situation it shouldn't matter if my house is within 5 miles of an airport or not (thankfully it isn't).

I don't know where the borderline needs to be drawn but I think regulations get into the realm of ridiculous when stuff like flying a drone in my backyard below the tree line is being addressed by an agency of the federal government.

when you take the drone test you are asked info as to what way you will enter a landing pattern for an airport, what wingtip vortices do on a plane and other useless questions that do not apply to a drone

That's where you're wrong. Keep in mind that a DRONE is not just a multirotor/quad/Phantom. A Drone (sUAS) is a Remotely Piloted Aircraft which could be fixed wing, helicopter, multirotor etc. It could be a Mavic up to a commercial rig weighing 30lbs and carrying 20lbs of camera payload flying to/from a landing pad on airport property.

If you happen to be flying near an airport and in the process you get ATC approval with stipulations.. one of those might be, "Remain clear of runway 36L and watch for approaching traffic." If you don't know how to read runway/airport markings how will you know anything about where you are?

Just because some portions of the test do not apply to YOU does not mean they don't apply to other Drone (sAUS) operations. Part 107 is is MUCH bigger than our Phantoms. We've got to think outside of our own little sandbox here.

One of the problems is for years there was near no control on the flying of "toy" drones. Those drones have become more and more capable to the point of vying for airspace that was only (primarily) occupied by manned aircraft.

I'm in my backyard flying my "toy" drone. There are 50' trees boarding my backyard. Should the FAA have any concern about my flight in my backyard at 25'? If any manned aircraft invades that space I think the last of the worries is my "toy" drone. There has to be some area where the FAA says we don't care what you do in that airspace. In this situation it shouldn't matter if my house is within 5 miles of an airport or not (thankfully it isn't).

I don't know where the borderline needs to be drawn but I think regulations get into the realm of ridiculous when stuff like flying a drone in my backyard below the tree line is being addressed by an agency of the federal government.

I sort of agree but they also have to account for the WHAT IF.'s... what if your Tx fails and the aircraft goes into auto RTH.... what altitude do you have that set at so that it clears those "protective trees".

Reactions: trcsmith
I sort of agree but they also have to account for the WHAT IF.'s... what if your Tx fails and the aircraft goes into auto RTH.... what altitude do you have that set at so that it clears those "protective trees".

And all of those what if's make for a complicated mess and fosters what to many seem like unnecessary restrictions and regulations. The what if's can be taken to the nth degree and honestly I'm not sure, especially in modern society that wants to sue and litigate everything, where the line should be drawn.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's where you're wrong. Keep in mind that a DRONE is not just a multirotor/quad/Phantom. A Drone (sUAS) is a Remotely Piloted Aircraft which could be fixed wing, helicopter, multirotor etc. It could be a Mavic up to a commercial rig weighing 30lbs and carrying 20lbs of camera payload flying to/from a landing pad on airport property.

If you happen to be flying near an airport and in the process you get ATC approval with stipulations.. one of those might be, "Remain clear of runway 36L and watch for approaching traffic." If you don't know how to read runway/airport markings how will you know anything about where you are?

Just because some portions of the test do not apply to YOU does not mean they don't apply to other Drone (sAUS) operations. Part 107 is is MUCH bigger than our Phantoms. We've got to think outside of our own little sandbox here.
The question that I thought was superfluous was how to you entering the landing pattern as you cannot operate at an airport

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31