FAA Remote I.D.

What is the rational behind the 400' rule for limited remote ID? My thinking would be it should at least be line of sight distance which with vision correction would be more like 800' to 1,000'. What is the basis for the 400' limitation?

ADS-B in is something that will benefit drone PIC’s/hobbyists and pilots of manned aircraft, Detect and Avoid. The next time a pilot of manned aircraft declares he almost got hit by drone, RID will be able to verify if there was a drone in the area and who it belongs to.

Agreed.

FAA remote I.D. information, Changes are a coming
mail
Remote ID Banner
U.S. Department of Transportation Issues
Proposed Rule on Remote ID for Drones

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a proposed rule that would continue the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, into the nation’s airspace by requiring them to be identifiable remotely.
“Remote ID technologies will enhance safety and security by allowing the FAA, law enforcement, and Federal security agencies to identify drones flying in their jurisdiction,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
The FAA will seek input on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for Remote Identification (Remote ID) of UAS that today was placed on display at the Federal Register. In the coming days, it will be accompanied by a 60-day comment period to receive public feedback and help the FAA develop a final rule to enhance safety in the skies over the U.S.
“As a pilot, my eye is always on safety first,” said FAA Administrator Steve Dickson. “Safety is a joint responsibility between government, pilots, the drone community, the general public and many others who make our nation so creative and innovative.”
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the entire transportation sector – nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots are registered with the FAA. Equipping drones with remote identification technologies would build on previous steps taken by the FAA and the UAS industry to safely integrate operations, including the small UAS rule, which covers drones weighing less than 55 pounds, and the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.
These efforts lay the foundation for more complex operations, such as those beyond visual line of sight at low altitudes, as the FAA and the drone industry move toward a traffic management ecosystem for UAS flights separate from, but complementary to, the air traffic management system.
The proposed Remote ID rule would apply to all drones that are required to register with the FAA (recreational drones weighing under 0.55 pounds are not required to register), as well as to persons operating foreign civil UAS in the U.S.

The article on the link below gives a great overview of the rule and how it can impact drone users. It also has the link to leave comments for the FAA. Recommend doing so they can see their rules are going to be over regulation.

The FAA Proposed Rule On Remote Identification Will Kill Drone Flying

You don't require an internet connection for Standard Remote ID.
I’m referring to already existing drones that are, presumably, incapable of the direct broadcast that will be needed for the standard RID. I know some have mentioned that DJI drones now broadcast ID info. But AFAIK, this can be picked up by nearby specialized equipment and would not meet the requirements of the proposed standard.

I may end up wrong about that. But that was the basis for my statement.

Last edited:
Again, if you read the rule, you'll find that if your drone broadcasts the required data on Wifi (which all DJI drones are capable of doing), you can fly even in places where there is no internet.

I must have missed that part. Broadcast on WiFi to where? What will receive it and pass it to the service provider?

I must have missed that part. Broadcast on WiFi to where? What will receive it and pass it to the service provider?

There is no requirement for anything to be receiving - it's like ADS-B - just a broadcast. But the intent is for there to be a network of receivers and also for other drones and mobile devices to be able to receive the broadcasts.

There is no requirement for anything to be receiving - it's like ADS-B - just a broadcast. But the intent is for there to be a network of receivers and also for other drones and mobile devices to be able to receive the broadcasts.
“If a drone broadcasts RID info and there is no USS infrastructure to hear it, did it really fly?” :))

Ok. You provide an interesting take. I guess I was assuming that when required to broadcast that you were broadcasting to something that can make use of your transmission (I.e. pass it to the USS network) and not just into the ether. Without that, I’m not sure what the point would be. I also thought I read that if you lose the broadcast capability, you must land.

“If a drone broadcasts RID info and there is no USS infrastructure to hear it, did it really fly?” :))

Ok. You provide an interesting take. I guess I was assuming that when required to broadcast that you were broadcasting to something that can make use of your transmission (I.e. pass it to the USS network) and not just into the ether. Without that, I’m not sure what the point would be. I also thought I read that if you lose the broadcast capability, you must land.

It's not my "take" on it - it's fully described in the proposal. I don't see any inconsistency with requiring a broadcast. Do you think that there is no point to ADS-B if nothing is receiving?

It's not my "take" on it - it's fully described in the proposal. I don't see any inconsistency with requiring a broadcast. Do you think that there is no point to ADS-B if nothing is receiving?
I’m not an expert on ADS-B but from what I think I understand of it, seems like a very different paradigm. Whereas the ADS-B receivers are meant to be in other aircraft and towers, the RID system is more network based so as to take the info from UAS flying anywhere and making it available via network anywhere else (as well as being stored).

In other words, AFAIU, the ADS-B is designed to be more proximity based while the USS based RID system is not. In one case (ADS-B) the consumers of the info are intended primarily to be nearby (receiver equipped) aircraft where as in RID, the consumer is primarily (albeit not exclusively) “the network.”

Again, I could be wrong on some or all of this. Just explaining why intuitively I personally don’t see the comparison.

I’m not an expert on ADS-B but from what I think I understand of it, seems like a very different paradigm. Whereas the ADS-B receivers are meant to be in other aircraft and towers, the RID system is more network based so as to take the info from UAS flying anywhere and making it available via network anywhere else (as well as being stored).

In other words, AFAIU, the ADS-B is designed to be more proximity based while the USS based RID system is not. In one case (ADS-B) the consumers of the info are intended primarily to be nearby (receiver equipped) aircraft where as in RID, the consumer is primarily (albeit not exclusively) “the network.”

Again, I could be wrong on some or all of this. Just explaining why intuitively I personally don’t see the comparison.

No - ADS-B is received by aircraft and ground stations, and RID broadcast is intended to be received by other sUAS, manned aircraft, ground stations and mobile devices. They are quite similar in concept.

No - ADS-B is received by aircraft and ground stations, and RID broadcast is intended to be received by other sUAS, manned aircraft, ground stations and mobile devices. They are quite similar in concept.
Ok. That helps. Thanx.

Reactions: sar104
so we are okay with the new nprm remote id aka mass citizen spying system the faa proposing. that in it's current form will break major federal laws that prohibit mass collection of data without court issue warrants on us citizens. just consulted with my prepaid legal service that I get from my work.

so we are okay with the new nprm remote id aka mass citizen spying system the faa proposing. that in it's current form will break major federal laws that prohibit mass collection of data without court issue warrants on us citizens. just consulted with my prepaid legal service that I get from my work.

Key phrase "in it's current form" but also I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say Mass Citizen Spying system?

When you fly on an airplane pretty much that same information is being broadcast every millisecond of the process.

Why should Facebook, Google, Instagram, Yahoo, Microsoft, and the rest have all the fun?

A hoist operation of several hundred feet for every delivery? That sounds more dangerous than the drone performing a landing.

What I was reading a while back was that they were testing a system where the recipient would put out a mat (marked with a special Amazon logo) in a predetermined safe landing area, and the drone would know to look for and use it as the landing location.
Amazon forgets that many people are stupid and will put out that cute little specially market mat on their dining room table.

The drone would come down much lower than that.

I’ve also seen the logo pad you talk about. I think in suburbs and urban areas coming down to ground might be a little risky.
You mean like in the Chicago hood? Dem boyz would use da package and da drone for target practice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94