FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars can pull over to the side of the road when something goes wrong.

The flawed auto analogy again..

It's easier said than done when you have a blowout at 70mph. Or have an object strike your windshield, or have a brake or steering system failure.

Even a slow speeds an emergency stop in a car is dangerous. There are almost always other cars around and often pedestrians. This is because cars are all forced together onto roads.

Those Phantom videos I see where people are flying over mountains, deserts and wide open ocean... considerably more error margin in the event of catastrophic failure.

Driving is more dangerous if only because everyone is forced together into a defined and limited space. Added to that is there is an operator IN the car. With an unmanned drone, the danger level is significantly reduced - not only does the drone have to lose control, it has to find a person to hit.

Cars/Drones = Apples/Oranges.

I agree. Instead of comparing accident/injury rates, we should strive to make both as safe as possible. If drones can present a risk to planes, then their operators should be educated in how to avoid that happening at least until the technology is there to prevent it from happening automatically.

That's the $64,000 question. I have never seen a drone operator act irresponsibly. Have you personally seen evidence of this epidemic? All I have to back that up is the hysteria generated by a 24-hour news cycle. These are the same folks who would have me believe that a missing Malaysian jet was the most important story in the world for more than three months. Whether or not you believe it is a non-issue, I cannot fathom an argument where registration makes anything safer. Why not just make a rule prohibiting the loss of aircraft control? Will that, with or without registration, prevent any aircraft from losing control? Of course not.

Rules cannot and do not prevent things from happening. They merely set up a framework for punishing violators of those rules - after the fact. Registration does even less as it does not prohibit anything or prevent anything from happening.

My point and shoot camera is not a "professional" camera if I use it to shoot a magazine cover (and I have done that). Large scale commercial operations are already regulated (to the point of hampering business opportunities). That still has nothing to do with this conversation. By the same token, treating someone who videos a single home as a "commercial" operator with reams of absurd requirements and exemptions makes no sense. It is a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
Exactly. Reckless flying and reckless endangerment are already crimes with penalties that address the real problem.

I just got an email from the AMA, recommending that all drone pilots hold off registering with the FAA
You can see it here ....
http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe4f...61471&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2711727160017a721171&r=0

Ya just gotta wonder if the AMA isn't cooking up a big old moose turd pie for us all, that won't be finished until Feb ... and want to force feed it to us before the FAA has the means to track us down one by one ... and assimilate us into a huge FAA Borg like entity! ;)

Last edited:

It's easier said than done when you have a blowout at 70mph. Or have an object strike your windshield, or have a brake or steering system failure.

Even a slow speeds an emergency stop in a car is dangerous. There are almost always other cars around and often pedestrians. This is because cars are all forced together onto roads.

Those Phantom videos I see where people are flying over mountains, deserts and wide open ocean... considerably more error margin in the event of catastrophic failure.

Driving is more dangerous if only because everyone is forced together into a defined and limited space. Added to that is there is an operator IN the car. With an unmanned drone, the danger level is significantly reduced - not only does the drone have to lose control, it has to find a person to hit.

Texting while driving has also made driving far more dangerous lately. 300% increase in accident risk if texting while driving! Greater than driving with a BAC of .08%! Yet almost 50% of drivers now admit to having texted while driving! Even talking on a handsfree cellphone while driving substantially increases accident risk!:eek:

The analogy fits better than any other. When used outdoors, drones share airspace like cars share the road and like boats share the waterways. Unregistered vehicles like ATVs can't be used on public roads. Same with RC cars. If you want to fly your drone indoors, you don't need to register. Outdoors, no matter where in the US you are, you are in the national airspace which is shared and thus requires rules and accountability.

It may be a "better" analogy but it still stinks. Too many flaws which make for ridiculous arguments.Comparing the roads to airspace is another bad analogy in the context of this discussion. If you are diving down the highway and all of a sudden the lanes are blocked, you either stop or crash. In the air, there are no defined roads - in open county you have virtually unlimited room to avoid. In all three dimensions. The outdoors part is another problem - you don't need to register many types of vehicles when used on private property. Including outdoors. As has already been shown, the airspace above your property is yours up to some "usable" altitude.

That toy can fly several thousand feet up. That toy can fly 8 miles horizontally. That toy can travel at up to 40MPH. That toy can fracture the windscreen of a helicopter or small plane. That toy can be fitted with carbon fiber blades that can cause deep lacerations. That toy can be programmed to fly an autonomous route. If it's a toy, it's a very powerful one.

Powerful and dangerous, yes. That was my point of the "Tonka" story. There are plenty of toys that are as, or more, dangerous than a drone. We don't regulate them. We don't force registration on them. We simply set reasonable rules - "you can't use them to cause harm" and punish those who do.

And when I am not flying drones, I am occasionally a "real pilot" flying Cessnas on the weekends. My biggest fear is YOUR drone.

I took a flight lesson about a year ago. With all that could potentially go wrong in a small aircraft, I am amazed that your "biggest" fear is the astronomically small chance of a drone collision. I am guessing by "YOUR" you mean anyone's. If you mean mine specifically (implied by the caps) then I am worried. It would mean you plan to fly over my private property at a highly unsafe, low altitude (and trespassing into my private airspace). Licensing and registration do not guarantee safety or compliance with the rules. :)

400,000 drones will be sitting under US xmas trees this season. That's almost a doubling of the existing amount. If it doesn't get regulated now, it will be mayhem later. Many people will be responsible. Many will not.

As will BB guns, baseball bats and many other "scary" items. Some people will always be irresponsible. Unfortunately, those are the types of people who registration will not fix.

The real irony is that this topic is about registration. There are NO NEW RULES which address ANY safety issue. Registration is a completely different topic than safety or rules. You could triple or quadruple the amount of drones under the Christmas tree and register all of them twice. That does not add or remove a single operator rule or restriction to what is in place.

I realize i don't "get it." To me, make some rules, assign penalties and enforce. Instead, it is "we are thinking about the rules" -meanwhile, give us $5 and let us put you name on a list while were figure it out. Complete insanity.

...Rules cannot and do not prevent things from happening. They merely set up a framework for punishing violators of those rules - after the fact. Registration does even less as it does not prohibit anything or prevent anything from happening.

Setting up the framework for punishing violators is what allow different people to co-live in the same space while doing the so many different activities we all do in relative order. It's how society got to this is stage. No one will say it's perfect, or fair, or flawless and I admit it's neither.

But it's still better than the option, which would be a wild wild west, anything goes each one for his own. Rules don't prevent accidents from happening or violators to violate, but the long-term effect of punishment is educational and usually positive - thus necessary to give us freedom in many aspects.

If no rules are in place, and if something is not enforced, things usually tend to anarchy and chaos. That's human nature plain and simple.

That's the $64,000 question. I have never seen a drone operator act irresponsibly. Have you personally seen evidence of this epidemic? All I have to back that up is the hysteria generated by a 24-hour news cycle. These are the same folks who would have me believe that a missing Malaysian jet was the most important story in the world for more than three months. Whether or not you believe it is a non-issue, I cannot fathom an argument where registration makes anything safer. Why not just make a rule prohibiting the loss of aircraft control? Will that, with or without registration, prevent any aircraft from losing control? Of course not.

Rules cannot and do not prevent things from happening. They merely set up a framework for punishing violators of those rules - after the fact. Registration does even less as it does not prohibit anything or prevent anything from happening.

My point and shoot camera is not a "professional" camera if I use it to shoot a magazine cover (and I have done that). Large scale commercial operations are already regulated (to the point of hampering business opportunities). That still has nothing to do with this conversation. By the same token, treating someone who videos a single home as a "commercial" operator with reams of absurd requirements and exemptions makes no sense. It is a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
i hear ya.
though i have not personally seen irresponsibly operations, the media has done a great job showing where it has. epidemic? thats why FAA wants to provide the framework for stiff fines and regulations.
same as you presumably having auto insurance and have passed a driver test. christmas seasoned new operators are seen as a threat from the public with lack of control and un-informed.

my point being with the commerical use, is that local cities will want to get paid just like you mentioned large networks. some operators fly for income whether its part time or full time. uncle sam wants his part.

I'm not sure I would agree with a suggestion that flying is more dangerous than driving although you may be right. I have a couple memories of flying and then nearly dying on the road while driving home after work. I remember one memory like yesterday from sixteen years ago. Flying a formation low level, in a valley, with terra firma very close to my wingtip. It was quite a rush. Driving home some idiot pulled out in front of me doing a lane change and I slammed on my brakes and just narrowly avoided a crash.

Driving is far more dangerous than flying in my experience. Of course that is anecdotal and there are more cars than airplanes and the highway in the sky is far far bigger than pavement...

True and I agree, but maybe that is so exactly because flying is a much enforced, regulated, controlled activity in most aspects. There's a serious learning curve and a whole process until someone is able to fly on his (or her) own, that more or less works both as filter and controller, both for aircrafts and pilots.

But I guess above all there's probability by exposition. How much in average is a person exposed to traffic compared to flying, either as pilot/driver or passenger/pedestrian/etc.?

Reactions: Solar Deity

Reactions: Solar Deity
And when I am not flying drones, I am occasionally a "real pilot" flying Cessnas on the weekends. My biggest fear is your drone.
Since you favor regulations, and compareally to the auto industry, then why don't we force your Cessna to have a regulated windshield like an auto. It might save you from a wondering drone.

I hope everyone does register. Not only will it be the law but it will save you from the local cops harassing you. They will definitely be eyeballing you when they got nothing better to do.

save you from the local cops harassing you.

Right. Those over worked, local guys that have 20,000 local laws to uphold are going to be looking to enforce an FAA regulation. When was the last time you heard of someone getting a ticket for not using a turn signal?

I hope everyone does register. Not only will it be the law but it will save you from the local cops harassing you. They will definitely be eyeballing you when they got nothing better to do.
No, all it does is give them another reason to contact you for investigation if you are flying a drone. It's probable cause for a contact, if anyone (the drone hating jerk harrassing you for flying at all) claims you are flying without registration, because you refused to show them your reg #, so they can look up your name and address on the FAA website!

Reactions: aka1ceman
When the utility of pointless unconstitutional laws is solely to avoid being harassed for not complying with them, I personally hope that people make a ton of noise about those laws and voice their disdain to keep those "laws" from becoming finalized.

Are you saying that a law that says you have to register your drone with the government for accountability purposes is unconstitutional?

Right. Those over worked, local guys that have 20,000 local laws to uphold are going to be looking to enforce an FAA regulation. When was the last time you heard of someone getting a ticket for not using a turn signal?
No, but it will be complaint based. Then they have to investigate. Not quickly, but when they get around to it.

No, all it does is give them another reason to contact you for investigation if you are flying a drone. It's probable cause for a contact, if anyone (the drone hating jerk harrassing you for flying at all) claims you are flying without registration, because you refused to show them your reg #, so they can look up your name and address on the FAA website!

Agreed. When driving a car a police officer can't pull you over unless there is probable cause, i.e., broken tail light, missing registrations tags or an observation of a moving violation. If you're that happy go lucky guy flying his drone at the local park then a cop has the right to come up to you and verify that UAV is in compliance. My point being save yourself from any stupid fines from non-compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94