FAA Really Isn't Going to Like This

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like their layout with the overlapping blades!

dear lord I hope we have hovercycles I can just drive around before I die

I am so ready for stuff like this. I always figured when the the quadcopter drones that we fly came out that this is what our hover bikeS will be like. 4 rotors seems logic since cars have 4 wheels. They seem quite stable, but I think the main issue is powering the rotors. the electric rotors seem that they will do the job better than anything else. Maybe a small gas engine that can charge the batteries like a hybrid. Similar to how the Fisker Karma has that 4 cylinder engine. This adds weight. The best solution would be for very efficient light-weight batteries.

atomsk
the blimp I posted a link to actually has a small gas engine on it that does in fact charge the batteries while in flight.
According to specs, it can fly up to 3 hours at a time.
So I don't see why a good size quad drone couldn't do the same.

a hybriquad

When I read the title I was expecting that case where a medical chopper was delayed landing for nine minutes thanks to a UAV in the zone. :lol:

QYV said:
a hybriquad

See? This is one of those threads that easily could've just turned into a "hey, it's been posted before".
But I'm so glad it didn't, because it's become something rather intriguing!

A hybrid quad for this full-sized application could be very interesting. I'm not sure it'd ever get to the point where the extra minutes of flight time the engine could provide wouldn't just get counteracted by the weight of the engine and the fuel, but maybe. The blimp is in a little bit better position for this to work, since in order to carry the extra weight all you need to do is increase the buoyancy of the LTAG envelope (ie - make the blimp bigger).

ATOMSK said:
Maybe a small gas engine that can charge the batteries like a hybrid. Similar to how the Fisker Karma has that 4 cylinder engine. This adds weight. The best solution would be for very efficient light-weight batteries.

Hmm ... let's not get carried away.
Multicopters are already very weight sensitive which means short flight times.
I can't loading them up with an additional internal combustion engine plus fuel plus charging system is going to work.
And although very efficient light-weight batteries would be nice, they are about as likely as lightweight space saving inflatable anchors.

Meta4 said:
they are about as likely as lightweight space saving inflatable anchors.

You haven't seen those? The late night infomercials are always trying to get me to buy them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub