FAA has started granting Part 107 Waivers & Airspace Authorizations

Reaction score
I have been unable to analyze whether these are still the 333 converted waivers, as I am traveling today. But airspace info is definitely new. According to the FAA:

"FAA Issues Part 107 Waivers, Airspace AuthorizationsOctober 25- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) began issuing Part 107 waivers and airspace authorizations to drone operators starting August 29, 2016, the effective date of the new rule. As of October 24, 2016, the agency has approved 81 authorizations for flights in Class D and E airspace, and has issued 36 waivers of Part 107 provisions to drone operators who applied after the rule’s effective date.

FAA Issues Part 107 Waivers, Airspace Authorizations
However, the agency has found that many applications have incorrect or incomplete information. Many applicants request too many waivers or request waivers for flights in types of airspace for which the FAA is not yet granting approvals. As a result, the agency has had to reject 71 waiver requests and 854 airspace applications."

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ike
Enrico, I've really appreciated your postings here and your videos. I've begun my own Daylight 107 waiver on your recommendations, but I'm a little stalled at "Description of your proposed operation," where I should be proving to the FAA that I can meet performance-based standards.

Which of course for daylight waivers would be:
1. A method to maintain VLOS during darkness (I should think a high-intensity strobe on the top and bottom should satisfy this)
2. "Applicant must provide a method for the remote pilot to see and avoid other aircraft, people on the ground, and ground-based structures and obstacles during darkness." - hmmm......to me, seeing and avoiding other aircraft is even easier at night provided you are flying from a spot with excellent visibility - but people on the ground? Not so much. Ground-based structures and obstacles can be reconnoitered during a daylight pass, but not sure about people. I plan to primarily use this waiver for flying downtown in a city - not sure how I can show the FAA that I know where people on the ground will be...any ideas??
3. "Applicant must provide a method by which the remote pilot will be able to continuously know and determine the position, altitude, attitude, and movement of their small unmanned aircraft (sUA)." - would the telemetry data from the bird suffice here?
4. All persons trained in the peculiarities of night observation - intensive study and full comprehension of PHAK suffice here, or do I *have* to get a CFI to tell me the same info?
5. sUAS must be visible at 3 statue miles - strobes as mentioned in #1?

Would be most grateful for any help honing in on best practices here!!

Reactions: Ike
Gotcha - thanks Enrico! So just to be sure.....you think the FAA would bite if both PIC and VO studied the PHAK on their own, or is training by a CFI absolutely necessary? And is a VO absolutely necessary as well?

Thanks AGAIN!!

I'd really prefer to not *have* to commit to always having a VO - I think I'm going to start looking through other granted waivers and see if anybody has one that doesn't require a VO :)

Still wish they would post the authorizations granted somewhere. Still don't know the status of my request!

All the granted waivers look the same - so might as well request with VO :)
If it helps, I put together a guide and pulled together the Performance Standards by reg of everything granted so far. You can find it here. Gonna be keeping everything up to date. Did one for airspace too.

If it helps, I put together a guide and pulled together the Performance Standards by reg of everything granted so far. You can find it here. Gonna be keeping everything up to date. Did one for airspace too.
Your link doesn't work for me. Would like to see something about daylight waivers. I have a friend that does pyrotechnics all year. Would love to help him get some footage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The authorization request that I submitted in September finally came through mid November. It was for flights in Class E(sfc) airspace. Pretty much approved it as requested. Just added contact with the controlling ATC.

The authorization request that I submitted in September finally came through mid November. It was for flights in Class E(sfc) airspace. Pretty much approved it as requested. Just added contact with the controlling ATC.
Conrgatulations!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic