FAA Expands Online Small Unmanned Aircraft Registration

Reaction score
Starting today, owners of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) used for commercial, public and other non-model aircraft operations will be able to use the FAA’s new, streamlined, web-based registration process to register their aircraft. The web-based process will significantly speed up registration for a variety of commercial, public use and other users. Registration for those users is $5, the same low fee that model aircraft owners pay.

FAA Expands Online Small Unmanned Aircraft Registration

For the time being this does not eliminate the requirement for a 333 Exemption and COA Waiver when working commercially but it helps to streamline the aircraft registration portion of the process after obtaining those permissions.

If they do move forward to finally allow broad commercial micro UAS operations in the coming weeks/months, this registration step may be the only thing that operators need to complete in order to work commercially with a Phantom.

Interesting (and encouraging) that this FAA step forward is announced on the same day that CASA (Australia) announces easing of restrictions on commercial use of sub-2kg drones, starting September 2016. Watch for parallel developments in other national airspace authorities.

I didn't realize this wasn't going to take care of the 333 exemption. Government needs to gtfo of the way of what would be more tax dollars for them

Before the online process started for commercial registration, I went through the process of securing an N number which finally just came in. The N number has meaning and I've had stickers made with the #. Is there a way of using that N number through the online registration process or is the only way to go through the offline paper process with AC 8050-1?

Before the online process started for commercial registration, I went through the process of securing an N number which finally just came in. The N number has meaning and I've had stickers made with the #. Is there a way of using that N number through the online registration process or is the only way to go through the offline paper process with AC 8050-1?

For N-number registration you'll still need to go through the paper route. The form's pretty simple to fill out though.

So for anyone that's done the 333, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. How long does it take to fill everything out and to get a reply?

2. Do you still need some form of a pilot license to fly commercially?

3. Have any of you been denied?

1. How long does it take to fill everything out and to get a reply?
I spent a few weeks getting mine nailed down until I was happy with it.
I sent everything in on July 10th and got an immediate (auto) reply with a tracking #
Mine was posted to the Public Docket sometime in November.
It was "approved" on Dec 23rd and got the packet in the mail Dec 30th.
It was "approvaed" on the Public Docket sometime in late January (I think).

2. Do you still need some form of a pilot license to fly commercially?
Yes a MIN of Sport Pilot license is required (as of today anyway) to utilize the 333 Exemption.

3. Have any of you been denied?
I have no idea. Many have been "Asked for more information" which only adds to the time frame.

I just don't get it. That Sport Pilot license is like $4,000 isn't it? It would take so long to make that back with a business, especially once you're already down $1600 from the drone purchase. These guys have really mashandled the entire drone thing (I'm sure that's been said 1,000 times).

I just don't get it. That Sport Pilot license is like $4,000 isn't it? It would take so long to make that back with a business, especially once you're already down $1600 from the drone purchase. These guys have really mashandled the entire drone thing (I'm sure that's been said 1,000 times).

How much do you think it takes to start a business?? $5,600 is dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
It's a tech business. Not a restaurant. It costs me $500 to start my business. That's dirt cheap to me. Especially when you have everything you need to make money with it in place, and you just need a piece of paper from the government. Not sure how anyone is ok with the costs right now. Absurd.

How much do you think it takes to start a business?? $5,600 is dirt cheap.

I agree completely. There's a lot of difference between starting a business and trying to make $$ from your hobby.

Reactions: icoco3
It's a tech business. Not a restaurant. It costs me $500 to start my business. That's dirt cheap to me. Especially when you have everything you need to make money with it in place, and you just need a piece of paper from the government. Not sure how anyone is ok with the costs right now. Absurd.

It cost me less than $100 to start my side business. Oh, shall we discuss the thousands of hour experience I have in the field that got me there? Everything costs.

Will be good if it costs too much for the hobbiest to get involved for commercial work. More opportunity for those who want to put up some money.

Then the definition of commercial work needs to be changed. Because right now, I'm not even allowed to sell photos I take above my back yard.

[EXPLITIVE REMOVED]

You have your opinion, and I have mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't mean to, my panties are in a knot. Was just trying to offer some cheese [emoji893]. [emoji41]

Then the definition of commercial work needs to be changed. Because right now, I'm not even allowed to sell photos I take above my back yard.

[EXPLITIVE REMOVED]

And I have mine and it's we don't call others names here :)

[EXPLITIVE REMOVED]

I support having some rudimentary knowledge of the airspace system in order to access that airspace safely. Passing the sport or private pilot knowledge test should be all that is required, actually flying an aircraft has nothing to do with UAS operations. Learning how to fly safely, and what the regulations and airspace system actually are, has everything to do with it.

Even the FAA knows how ridiculous it is to require a real plane license to sell photos from a toy drone when you can fly and photograph for recreation with no license.
The problem is that they are dinosaurs and very slow to move.
They started on this a year ago: Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM)
And now they are working through this: Publication > Micro UAS Committee charts bold new course for FAA treatment of smaller unmanned aircraft

Reactions: imgrado
Even the FAA knows how ridiculous it is to require a real plane license to sell photos from a toy drone when you can fly and photograph for recreation with no license.
The problem is that they are dinosaurs and very slow to move.
They started on this a year ago: Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM)
And now they are working through this: Publication > Micro UAS Committee charts bold new course for FAA treatment of smaller unmanned aircraft

I hadn't seen that second link before, that's good news. Thanks for sharing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31