FAA asks for our cooperation in fighting wildfires in Ca.

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from the FAA asking for our (responsible pilots) cooperation in fighting the terrible situation in California. They said some fire fighting efforts have been cancelled due to drones in the active areas.
I find it incredible that someone would be so ignorant of whats going on out there that they would be flying around the area just to satisfy their curiosity.

Come on, people, think.
Here's the message from the FAA:

Please help spread the word: Drones and wildfires don’t mix.
More than 120 wildfires are burning across 1.6 million acres in the United States. Firefighters aren’t just struggling to battle these blazes, they’re also facing the dangers posed by unauthorized drone flights over or near the fires. Firefighters across the nation have repeatedly been forced to cease helicopter and airplane operations because the presence of drones prevented them from flying safely. In these circumstances, the minutes or hours of flight delay could mean lost lives and destroyed property.

Federal, state and local fire management agencies and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) urge members of the public not to fly drones over or near wildfires. Unauthorized drone flights pose collision hazards to firefighting aircraft and can distract pilots who are operating in stressful and challenging conditions. A collision could cause serious injury or death to fire crews in the air, endanger firefighters and members of the public on the ground, and drastically limit the effectiveness of fire suppression efforts.

People who engage in this dangerous and irresponsible activity are violating federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations, regardless of whether a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is in place.

Fire agencies are reporting to the FAA and to law enforcement unauthorized drone flights near wildfires on federal, tribal, state and local lands. People who interfere with fire suppression efforts will face civil penalties that could exceed $20,000, as well as potential criminal prosecution.

Anyone who witnesses or has information about an unauthorized drone flight over or near a wildfire should immediately contact local law enforcement.

To keep drone pilots aware of flight restrictions, the FAA developed an easy-to-use smartphone app called B4UFLY. The app helps drone pilots determine whether restrictions or requirements are in effect at the location where they want to fly. B4UFLY is available for free download in the App Store for iOS and Google Play store for Android. But regardless of whether a TFR is in place, people should never fly drones near or over wildfires.

Please remind your friends, colleagues, and family members who own drones that flying them over or near a wildfire means fire crews can’t, and doing so could cost them more than $20,000.

Last edited:
It happens more than you think. Some people "assume" they know better than everyone else and take the chance with NO regards to anyone else. SELFISH!

Just got an e-mail from the FAA asking for our (responsible pilots) cooperation in fighting the terrible situation in California. They said some fire fighting efforts have been cancelled due to drones in the active areas.
I find it incredible that someone would be so ignorant of whats going on out there that they would be flying around the area just to satisfy their curiosity.
Come on, people, think.
Link to the entire message from the FAA: Wildfires

Modern ignorance never ceases to amaze me... of course ignorance has always been with us, but technology has made it easier for idiots to do more increasingly stupid things than ever before!

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't post on these boards much. I do read a couple of them on a regular basis.

The FAA and the drone business group are working on new drone law and regulations with intent of making drastic changes in the recreational drone side. My take on all of this is that it is the stupidity of so many recreational type drone users. People who simply don't follow the current rules and regs. I read threads ever day about some recreational drone user pushing their drones way beyond the limits.

Users exceeding the altitude limits. Flying within the distance from airports without contacting the airport. Flying a drone in the area where a helicopter was busy moving equipment on the job. Just pure stupid crap.

We all hate rules and regulations. We get many of them due to people who simply can't resist the urge to push the limits of common sense.

I have a phantom 4 pro and fly it for my own personal use. I am the General Manager of an agricultural LLC. We fly our own property. We use the drone for checking equipment, crops and livestock as well as fence lines etc. We have zero reasons to fly above 400 feet or to fly close to airports. We don't fly over property owned by others.

Yet, the use of our own drone use is jeopardized by those who simply can't use common sense and fly under the existing rules.

Pretty sad really.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.