FAA Approves DJI To Authorize Customer Flights In Controlled Airspace

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
That’s a BIG STEP in a positive direction for the FAA. I must admit, it does surprise me they are working so closely with DJI in implementing such a program with a common sense and safety format.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.............and it’s not a train this time. Cool !

Reactions: BigAl07
That’s a BIG STEP in a positive direction for the FAA. I must admit, it does surprise me they are working so closely with DJI in implementing such a program with a common sense and safety format.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.............and it’s not a train this time. Cool !

I totally agree with you. I think they went with DJI simply because they are the industry leader and will get the most bang-for-the-buck. Very much like how many software developers opted to write their programs for Windows instead of Mac or Linux.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I'm anxious to see if this will result in the ability to file a flight plan in DJI GO, like in AirMap. This will hopefully make the process even smoother.

What does this mean for $5 hobby-registered dronists?
Since LAANC approval is only available to Part 107 pilots, nothing much changes for hobby flyers. You still call the airport and tower (if there is one ) to notify them if you are flying within 5 miles of the airport. The new FAA authorization didn't change the rules for hobbyists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the feds got involved with DJI to provide the unlocks, it bothers me that DJI is so slow to get their software (Months.), firmware (More months.), and often closed for a holiday (Month in Jan.) to provide any service at all to provide an unlock in a timely manner. They still cannot get their Inspire 2 to work correctly with their cameras and wobbling in flight. My P4 still shakes and howls once landed since the last firmware update. How many months has that been?

Too bad that Airmap, or some other company who is more on the ball, couldn't provide the service. DJI is at the bottom of the list for me, and when they screw up they really take it to a new level. Their marketing is great and maybe why the feds got involved with them and their promises, but once the sale is made it's pretty much downhill and slow as slugs to respond - if they do at all.

Given the feds got involved with DJI to provide the unlocks, it bothers me that DJI is so slow to get their software (Months.), firmware (More months.), and often closed for a holiday (Month in Jan.) to provide any service at all to provide an unlock in a timely manner. They still cannot get their Inspire 2 to work correctly with their cameras and wobbling in flight. My P4 still shakes and howls once landed since the last firmware update. How many months has that been?

Too bad that Airmap, or some other company who is more on the ball, couldn't provide the service. DJI is at the bottom of the list for me, and when they screw up they really take it to a new level. Their marketing is great and maybe why the feds got involved with them and their promises, but once the sale is made it's pretty much downhill and slow as slugs to respond - if they do at all.

Airmap is providing the service and have been for 6 months it’s jusy LAANC system. So now through the DJI Go App you can acces your map and apply for Auto LAANC, exact same thing as Airmap and a dozen other companies

I dont fly in laanc covered airspace but does this mean an update to dji go app or is it working now to file laanc requests?

Speaking as a general aviation airplane owner and pilot. I have a feeling that this will eventually result in "user fees" for drone operators. The FAA has been pushing for user fees on aircraft for several years. This is in addition to the exorbitant fuel taxes we already pay.

I say this because of the looming deadline for aircraft owners to upgrade the transponders in planes before 2020. They sold it under the guise of "safety". What will quickly follow are bills each time you contact ATC. The new transponders send information on aircraft registration, not just the 4 digit code the old ones send.

This can very easily be implemented on drones too. I am always cynical when it comes to government policies. I am always hoping to be wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers