Extreme cold weather flying

Here it is everyone, pay attention to the battery temp and the altitude. Minus 24C definitely had an affect.

You should have taken her up and out a little on a slow flight, she would have been ok. Providing you warm the Batteries appropriately which you did, you’d have been fine I’m sure.

Both my P3S and P3A are solid and are great to fly. My MP is great also but I get a real buz for some reason out of my ‘P3’s. With some Polarpro lights on it you could keep VLOS on her easily. [emoji106]

You should have taken her up and out a little on a slow flight, she would have been ok. Providing you warm the Batteries appropriately which you did, you’d have been fine I’m sure.

Both my P3S and P3A are solid and are great to fly. My MP is great also but I get a real buz for some reason out of my ‘P3’s. With some Polarpro lights on it you could keep VLOS on her easily. [emoji106]
Ya i was abit nervous about goin too far away, especially when i noticed the barometer was acting up abit, better safe than sorry. Polarpro lights are on the way.

Reactions: Astrix
Ya i was abit nervous about goin too far away, especially when i noticed the barometer was acting up abit, better safe than sorry. Polarpro lights are on the way.

Similar to me so I just do it bit by bit by bit .... gets your heart pumping for sure [emoji23]

Tom’s Tech Time has just posted on YouTube a brief thing about flying in cold weather. Basic stuff but worth a watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdof5
Too bad its snowing, bet I could set the coldest Phantom flight record!!
20190203_120347.jpg

Reactions: Astrix
We are having weird weather here. Yesterday morning it was -12C, today it’s +4C and rain off and on. My son and his friends were playing shinny on the backyard rink yesterday and today it’s like a swimming pool.

Chris

Instant Swimming Pool
View attachment 108079

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdof5
You must be USA! Hers, -5º yesterday, today +8º here in England!

Strange plus & minus here in NI (UK) over the next couple of days also. In NI I think we make the rain and send it around the rest of the world.

The only weather I won’t fly in is the rain, the coldest has only been minus 6. It doesn’t seem to get any colder than that here.

Night flight. Last time I checked they were not allowed in the great white North. That's why we have more new rules coming.

Hi all! I know there are many threads on winter/cold weather flying but I'd like to ask specifically to all our long time experts, Is it really safe to fly this cold?
View attachment 108050
I was driving yesterday with my p3p in my truck tempted to fly a bit but I was at -37 C.... was more worried my fingers would freeze then worried about the p3p... coldest I have flown in is around the -20 mark as well

Well another day of ‘Extremes’, temperature extremes that is!

Today it was +8C and just a few days ago the temps were in the negative 20s.

Out flying today and flew 4 batteries between Spark and P3S - no need for gloves today.

Chris

Reactions: Astrix and 3rdof5
Well another day of ‘Extremes’, temperature extremes that is!

Today it was +8C and just a few days ago the temps were in the negative 20s.

Out flying today and flew 4 batteries between Spark and P3S - no need for gloves today.

Chris
Nice its still minus 25c and snowing here. No flying today :(

Nice its still minus 25c and snowing here. No flying today :(
I have flown numerous flights in falling snow with my P3S a have never had a problem. I usually bring a dry towel to dust the snow off and I have a transmitter glove that I can use to keep my transmitter dry and hands warm. This past fall, I flew in wet snow and everything went fine. The only problem I had was my camera lens getting gummed up with snowflakes so the next flight that day I just tilted the camera down or flew backwards into the snow. Obviously if there is a strong wind with the snow then you can't fly, but falling snow in a light wind is fine.

Chris

I have flown numerous flights in falling snow with my P3S a have never had a problem. I usually bring a dry towel to dust the snow off and I have a transmitter glove that I can use to keep my transmitter dry and hands warm. This past fall, I flew in wet snow and everything went fine. The only problem I had was my camera lens getting gummed up with snowflakes so the next flight that day I just tilted the camera down or flew backwards into the snow. Obviously if there is a strong wind with the snow then you can't fly, but falling snow in a light wind is fine.

Chris
I've seen many posts saying the exact same thing. I've always been too worried about any moisture getting in the vents onto a warm chip/circuit. I do realize that pure water does NOT conduct electricity, its the impurities that do, so its fairly safe. Luckily I have a slow day at work tomorrow and can fly during the day, so my plan is to go to my baby sister's place and duplicate this flight in it's full winter beauty, regardless of snowfall.

This is the weather forecast, so I'm gonna set a cold flying record with some amazing footage :)
Screenshot_20190204-202413_Weather.jpg

Night flight. Last time I checked they were not allowed in the great white North. That's why we have more new rules coming.
Yes technically I started the motors and lifted off in the dark, which isnt allowed until June 1st, and thanks to the new rules flying will be much easier. I did nothing unsafe, never strayed more than 2 or 3 meters in any direction from my landing pad, the only way I would have interfered with any manned vehicle would have been if that vehicle had crashed into the front of my house. It wasn't a flight. But thanks for that.

Hey
I dont think they are going to allow it after June 1. Not saying you had a huge flight and I get you were just doing some testing. I have seen way to many drones go past my condo at night. Drones have a bad name due to misconceptions about them. Trust me I would love some night pic's

Yes as of June 1st night flying will be allowed with appropriate lighting. It's clearly stated in the new rules and regs.

Reactions: Ddubs63

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT