Extreme cold weather flying

Reaction score
Hi all! I know there are many threads on winter/cold weather flying but I'd like to ask specifically to all our long time experts, Is it really safe to fly this cold?
Screenshot_20190202-172838_Weather.jpg

I would say no. Your tablet's liquid display will probably freeze anyway.

I'm really tempted to test my P3P in this cold. Its dead calm and a clear cold night. If I'm ever gonna fly this cold this is the ideal time. I'm gonna charge everything up fully and decide lol.

I’ve had my phantom 3 Standard out in -23C weather and had no problems as long as I warm the battery beforehand. Had my Spark out last week in -21C weather (wind chill -28) with no problems. The only problem I have is keeping my hands warm.

Chris

Ok video is uploading to you tube now, dam that was a cold flight, i will say i learned this: the barometer was definitely affected by the temp change, the AC kept rising on its own as it got colder and eventually i landed at almost minus 5 meters below take off altitude. Also the battery cooled off 1 degree during the flight altho I was mostly hovering and not stressing anything. Seems I found the line where it holds its own, barely anyway. Minus 24 C

Glad that you enjoyed the minus 24 c flight time and sharing a very interesting thing about how cool the battery was and the barometer indications....now we are waiting to see the video.....Thanks 3rdof5 !

Here it is everyone, pay attention to the battery temp and the altitude. Minus 24C definitely had an affect.

I really really enjoyed the video.....and i got my low battery warning set at 35% too and i most of the time i land at 25 to 30 %....Thanks for the share 3rdof5.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I really really enjoyed the video.....and i got my low battery warning set at 35% too and i most of the time i land at 25 to 30 %....Thanks for the share 3rdof5.
My pleasure. Always fun to test what we can do. I trust the P3 immensely and this was just more proof on what a solid bird she is :)

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Cold flight.jpg

I flew during our cold spell here in MN this week. It was a clear day and light wind so I decided to get some pictures.
The store parking lots were quite bare for a Thursday morning at 11 AM.
I didn't notice any thing different during my flight although I was only out for about 6 minutes. My fingers couldn't take any more!

Enclosed is screen shot from my Airdata log.

View attachment 108052

I flew during our cold spell here in MN this week. It was a clear day and light wind so I decided to get some pictures.
The store parking lots were quite bare for a Thursday morning at 11 AM.
I didn't notice any thing different during my flight although I was only out for about 6 minutes. My fingers couldn't take any more!

Enclosed is screen shot from my Airdata log.

Didn’t know the humidity could be that high at -21.9 f.
Do you live close to a large body of water.

I must say I'm very impressed. This was a test that was FAR colder than recommended by DJI. And my old P3P came thru fine altho with minor issues as we've seen with the altitude changes. Plus minus 10 meters in a temp change from plus 24c to minus 24c. Not bad. I now trust that i can photo in these temps safely. We have minus 34c coming in 2 days. Might have to test again ;)

wow and I thought -1c was too cold lol. I flew a couple of weeks ago between -1c and 3c and saw the cold battery warning in the post flight data.

Blimey, that is COLD! Flew today here in Devon, England. T'was only -5ºC and all worked well (apart from the fingers after a while :)
This is our sleepy little village taken looking East from about 200ft above our house. (Is there any way one can see exactly how high the drone was when the pix was taken?).

Attachments

• DJI_0005.jpg
    DJI_0005.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 270

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj