External Battery for Tarot 2D Gimbal

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get my Tarot 2D gimbal install dialed over here... I've convinced myself to go with an external battery as a power supply instead of the aux wire from the phantom. I'm getting the Storm 3S 11.1V 1000mah battery from helipal. As far as connections go, my tarot came pre-assembled and is showing a jst male connector for the power/ground wire. My question is that if I get the battery (http://www.helipal.com/hyper-lithium-11 ... ttery.html) will that connector work? It says it was meant for the Trex 250 system, I hope that means its a female jst, right? Is there anything that I might have to add in-line, or can I just go battery, right to gimbal?

Sorry I'm still trying to grasp a lot of the electronic side of all this. At least I was able to get the Tx and FPV done lol These things are so addictive.

Yes, all you need to do is connect/solder a male JST to the battery.
But be careful, as any short will cause some sparking.

Also take note that for every gram you add, you'll lose a bit more than a second in flying time.

which is why most go with just powering gimbal/FPV using the aux power lead, as they don't use that much power.

Well I'm running the FPV off the AUX already... I'm using the Storm 2700's in the phantom, so with the weight of the gimbal and its small battery I'm hoping to still remain around stock flight times.

Thanks for your advice Giz... did you say a male on the end of the battery though? I thought the jst coming off the gimbal was a male already?

Attachments

• gimbaljst.jpg
    gimbaljst.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 653
How's this working for you I am in process of something similar I have seen guys runs both gimbal and fpv transmitter off that ribbon cable but I as well would like to stay off the p2s main power source.. I know the added weight will already affect it some but I can only imagine the how fast the battery would die with all that taking energy from the stock batt wouldnt last long .. wonder what kind of power the gimbal requires I know it's not much .. post a link to the batt you used

I run both a TX & Gimbal from P1 accessory wire.

Sure, it drains flight battery faster but so will carrying the weight of a 2nd battery. And then you must deal with a 2nd battery pack? No thanks.

If/when I need more than 7 minutes “safe” flight time with stock 2.2Ah I add a 2nd flight battery on the outside rear of the shell with one of those “dual” battery CF mounts. Custom parallel wiring and some notches in the stock battery door everything wires up nicely.

This single external 2nd battery pack not only provides 12 min safe flight time but also better balances the P1 front-rear COG when gimbal/camera’s installed.

When I say “safe” flight time that’s a very conservative self-imposed time limit. When I reel it in there’s at least another 2-3 minutes reserve capacity remaining but as folks should be aware, avoiding deep discharges will provide best battery pack life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20