Expecting first ever phantom3s next week...

Reaction score
I was wondering if any pilots would share with me their pre flight checks and or rituals that I must or should do to keep myself and new Phantom 3s safe and mostly crash free! LOL... Not cause it's funny, but a bit nervous with losing my new $500+ toy... or recommended practice procedures, sites, simulators or reading/research on the subject of not wrecking my investment.
Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I was wondering if any pilots would share with me their pre flight checks
There isn't one pre-flight checklist that is best for everyone. You can find some checklists that other people are using in these search results. You could use those to assemble a checklist that fits your needs.

recommended practice procedures, sites, simulators or reading/research on the subject of not wrecking my investment
Download, read, and fully understand the Phantom manual prior to your first flight. You can download the manual from the P3S downloads page. Also, check out the tips at PhantomHelp.com.

FYI, it would be best to post your P3S questions in the P3S forum.

Reactions: cabokalz
(1) Lock down tablet/phone apps and OS so no updates are done, if everything is working good.
(2) Turn off.... "Connect to networks automatically when discovered") on your phone/tablet

(3) Do INITIAL compass call and IMU cal in an areas free of electromagnetic interference...Like an open field, Do not cal near metal or underground metal structures (ie: hood of the car/ parking lots etc).

(4) Perform compass calibrations when you fly in areas far removed from your normal flying habitat. IE: More than 100 miles. (Magnetic declination).

(5) Download maps at home to your Tablet where you intend to fly.

Do this thru Google Maps, zoom in maximum zoom to the spot/area you intend to fly. Type in "OK MAPS" in the Google Maps search bar, it will prompt you to name and save it. To Test.....Turn off Wifi connection to internet, start DJI App, go to Ground Station and zoom in max ground level detail...if you are able to zoom in...you have the map cached.

Apps i keep on my Tablet:
Wind Alert =Wind speed forecasts (pretty accurate)
GPS Status
K-Index Monitor (solar flare activity)

Just a few ideas, that i try and keep in mind. Happy Hovering!

There isn't one pre-flight checklist that is best for everyone. You can find some checklists that other people are using in these search results. You could use those to assemble a checklist that fits your needs.

Download, read, and fully understand the Phantom manual prior to your first flight. You can download the manual from the P3S downloads page. Also, check out the tips at PhantomHelp.com.

Thanks msinger that's what I've been looking for.

(1) Lock down tablet/phone apps and OS so no updates are done, if everything is working good.
(2) Turn off.... "Connect to networks automatically when discovered") on your phone/tablet

(3) Do INITIAL compass call and IMU cal in an areas free of electromagnetic interference...Like an open field, Do not cal near metal or underground metal structures (ie: hood of the car/ parking lots etc).

(4) Perform compass calibrations when you fly in areas far removed from your normal flying habitat. IE: More than 100 miles. (Magnetic declination).

(5) Download maps at home to your Tablet where you intend to fly.

Do this thru Google Maps, zoom in maximum zoom to the spot/area you intend to fly. Type in "OK MAPS" in the Google Maps search bar, it will prompt you to name and save it. To Test.....Turn off Wifi connection to internet, start DJI App, go to Ground Station and zoom in max ground level detail...if you are able to zoom in...you have the map cached.

Apps i keep on my Tablet:
Wind Alert =Wind speed forecasts (pretty accurate)
GPS Status
K-Index Monitor (solar flare activity)

Just a few ideas, that i try and keep in mind. Happy Hovering!

Thanks a ton RCRookie. I live in the middle of nowhere Nevada and am hoping interference is at a minimal. I do like steps to follow now that I'm playing with an expensive toy

I'm sure these are in any typical checklist but I always inspect the props and motor-mount points. I've gotten complacent and have not been doing ground range checks and that almost bit me in the butt yesterday so I'm definitely going to start doing that again.

I'm sure these are in any typical checklist but I always inspect the props and motor-mount points. I've gotten complacent and have not been doing ground range checks and that almost bit me in the butt yesterday so I'm definitely going to start doing that again.

Ground range checks. Would that be like for the height of things to run into?
I will be sure to check props for damage.

Ground range checks. Would that be like for the height of things to run into?
I will be sure to check props for damage.

That also - do not forget to set your RTH height appropriately; but I was actually referring to checking for the signal between AC and TX; both video and control, to ensure both are working OK some distance from each other.

After attempting the P3S page, there is no where to post new posts just reply to previous posts...

Click the "Post New Thread" button at the top, right corner of the page.

Well, due to weather delays it looks like I'm on the UPS docket for delivery of my P3s today!!! Come on UPS driver!!! LOL...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.