ESC status error after upgrade

Yes main board and one motor also replaced bottom shell for some reason? Was put under warranty but my P3P was second hand and I checked with prior owner and was over the warranty period, so I don't know how I got a $300 repair for no cost to me

ESC errors are a main board failure. $150 for the board, $85 labor to change out.

The main board is $96 and the labor is $65 (if repaired via DJI). Suggest that anyone seeking repair in the US to contact DJI directly rather than paying additional cost charged by third party repair shops.

My aircraft is out of warranty. I bought it used from a private party who had crashed it once. There is a scuff on one of the motors and corresponding arm. Upon inspection at DJI's repair facility in Torrance, CA it was noted on my repair order "Non-warranty. Aircraft has impact damage(s)" and even though that had nothing to do with the issue caused by the firmware update, they are able to use that to not cover the repair under warranty. Can't say that I agree with it, but I also can't fight them on it and win either.

Additionally, they sent me a shipping label to send it in at no cost and are not charging shipping to send it back. So my cost to repair was $161 total (vs $235 the above vendor is charging). I expect I should have it back sometime next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rendall69
My P3P just arrived back from DJI today, took a short test flight and life seems to be good. Does still have the poor video signal quality that seems to have come along with the 1.8 RC update, but it's still good to be back in the air again. I have a Mavic on order, but that won't even ship until the end of this month at the earliest.

Will report if there are any issues, but I am expecting things to be good.

Cheers

Reactions: Rendall69
My P3P just arrived back from DJI today, took a short test flight and life seems to be good. Does still have the poor video signal quality that seems to have come along with the 1.8 RC update, but it's still good to be back in the air again. I have a Mavic on order, but that won't even ship until the end of this month at the earliest.

Will report if there are any issues, but I am expecting things to be good.

Cheers
good luck

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
I have this exact same issue!

My P3P has been fine up until I did the upgrade to V1.10.0090 today.

Everything passed according to the logs, so I also did an IMU and gimbal calibration (as I normally do after a firmware upgrade).

The controller has been updated to the latest version (1.8.0) and I have the latest DJI Go version.

The aircraft powers on, connects to the controller ok. Can do compass calibrations etc.

When I try to start the motors I get:

"ESC Status Error", and the motors do not start. Randomly on some occasions the motors do start, and seem to operate as normal (throttle up/down, turns etc) on the ground. I am not tempted to take this airborne until I am satisfied with a fix solution.

I have tried to downgrade the firmware to the previous version with no success. This has included using different memory cars formatted in the aircraft and copying a fresh copy of the previous firmware to the card. I have also tried reinstalling the current version of firmware. I have nitiated the manual firmware load by holding the RC link button on boot, but only managed to get the current version of firmware to reinstall, not the previous version.

I am now screwed as I had some work lined up for tomorrow which I won't be able to do.

I suspect there are issues with this firmware release and I would advise no one to install it until this is looked at by DJI.

I need my bird back in the sky ASAP!

I had to send it in and they charged me over $100 to fix their mistake
Awful service, would never recommend DJI to anyone

Well I just had the "ESC Status Error" pop up today. I had upgraded to the latest firmware 1.10 quite awhile ago (early December i think) and have had several flights since. My last flight before this error was about 2 weeks ago where I used two batteries and everything went great. I pulled it out this morning as we just got some snow (no it wasn't snowing) turned it on, and got the green light, went to turn on the props and bam ESC Status Error message. Tried rebooting it a few times, changed out the batteries, and still no luck.

Contacted DJI support online, suggested I reset IMU, Compass, Camera calibration. Went through all of those and still no luck. I've filled out a support ticket to send it in, but this has me really frustrated and baffled as to why it's happening. Anyone figured out why this happens or what is going on? I bought it mid january 2016, so it'll be out of warranty. I already have a Mavic on order and was planning to sell my P3A once it arrives, but now this has me wondering if DJI products are worth it. I'm also wondering if its worth paying the unknown amount of money to repair it, or if I should just part it out.

I had the same ESC error and I did the quick and easy Remote Controller downgrade to 1.4.6 and now I am flying. I believe the error might come from a motor that uses more juice because now the DJI app says that I have a motor that is missing a propeller. Then I take off and the error goes away and the P3A flies great. I hope this helps. Read the Downgrade link in the above post to learn how to downgrade the RC. I only downgraded the remote controller not the drone.

If I have any issues that need reporting I will come edit my post so that you are reading the latest information possible from me.

Last edited:
Well I just had the "ESC Status Error" pop up today. I had upgraded to the latest firmware 1.10 quite awhile ago (early December i think) and have had several flights since. My last flight before this error was about 2 weeks ago where I used two batteries and everything went great. I pulled it out this morning as we just got some snow (no it wasn't snowing) turned it on, and got the green light, went to turn on the props and bam ESC Status Error message. Tried rebooting it a few times, changed out the batteries, and still no luck.

Contacted DJI support online, suggested I reset IMU, Compass, Camera calibration. Went through all of those and still no luck. I've filled out a support ticket to send it in, but this has me really frustrated and baffled as to why it's happening. Anyone figured out why this happens or what is going on? I bought it mid january 2016, so it'll be out of warranty. I already have a Mavic on order and was planning to sell my P3A once it arrives, but now this has me wondering if DJI products are worth it. I'm also wondering if its worth paying the unknown amount of money to repair it, or if I should just part it out.

Basically went through this about a month ago.

I sent the drone off to the DJI repair place after dealing with the customer service for the same problem you have stated. Took about 2 weeks or so.. But they covered it under warranty even though I am no the original owner and it definitely wasn't still in the warranty period. Got a new main board and 4 new motors. I think the total was around $250 but DJI covered the cost. Only cost me the 2 bucks and some packaging peanuts to send it off. I would send it off and see, if the drone is in great shape and you package it well then you have a good chance of DJI taking the hit and fixing it cost free.

Well I just heard from DJI and they want to replace 1 motor and the control board, total $179. Not happy about it given that I've babied it and it was only about 2 weeks out of warranty when I started this process.

How long does DJI back their repair work? I'm assuming at least that it will include some warranty right? I mean I don't want to spend this money, get it back then a few weeks later have something similar happen again.

Thats too bad to hear. No fun.

Honestly not the quickest thing, they seem to really updated that timeline thing within your case pretty regularly. The sad thing is, if you choose to have it not repaired I believe they nail you with a $60-$70 inspection fee and then you're still stuck with a brick. I was quoted $289 for a repair outside of DJI and that was without shipping.

Hi everyone, just wanted to report a similar issue and a potential fix that worked for me. I have an S1000+ and, upon upgrading to its latest firmware, needed to also upgrade to the latest DJI Assistant 2 to re-configure all the settings (as a side note, it boggles my mind that DJI can't save and reload all the settings on this unit).

Anyway, the firmware upgrade defaulted to a 6 motor config, and this unit is actually 8 motors. So I had 2 motors continuously beeping since they weren't in use.

Couldn't configure the unit until I downloaded the new DJI Assistant 2 software version, and then I was in. When I mirrored all my old settings, I got this ESC error.

For me anyway, what fixed it was changing the ESC from "DJI Intelligent ESC" to "Other ESC"

Don't ask me why, as the former used to work just fine, and I'm using the A3 by the way.

So now I'll go give it a brief flight test and see if this solved my own version of the ESC error...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl