Engadget article on the free version of DaVinci Resolve 15

Reaction score
If you are a looking for a free and powerful video editor with audio editing and motion graphics, there is a free edition of DaVinci Resolve 15. Engadget did a nice review of it last week.

Reactions: Oso
If you are a looking for a free and powerful video editor with audio editing and motion graphics, there is a free edition of DaVinci Resolve 15. Engadget did a nice review of it last week.
I downloaded it last week. It is VERY NICE. However, be advised that it is also VERY technical. it is most certainly NOT a program for beginners. The .pdf user manual is 2685 pages. This is some of the very best video editing software in the world and even with this free (lite) version there is an assumption that you pretty much know your way around a video editing console (terminology, techniques, etc.). I know that I will probably have to do a lot more practice with other programs before I would be able to get the most out of this.
As far as the quality of the software, the interface and functionality are stunningly beautiful. I uploaded 6 random videos and was able to work with them immediately but I did have to keep referring to the user manual ALOT. BTW I am NOT a video editing professional, but my good friend does it for a living and he recommended this to me because he uses it at his job on a daily basis. I will probably be bugging him for help with it Ha Ha.
If you're looking for a quality video editing software package that TRULY IS FREE, then this is it.

There are several collections of YouTube tutorial videos on DaVinci Resolve - sometimes an older version, but still relevant - that helped me through an initial learning curve. Anything new is strange until you get started and used to using it. Resolve is no different.

This software is unbelievable, and free, used by top professionals, so more than good enough for enthusiasts. Look no further. After perhaps a few hours or a day of head scratching, it’s a pleasure to use.

As with almost any software, the majority of enthusiast users would just get proficient up to a certain level to suit their purposes. And that’s fine. But the scope is endless.

Sadly, we cannot use it at present, because of a rare combination glitch involving a top-spec Dell laptop and a Windows 10 upgrade. The BlackMagic tech help guys in the UK were very helpful and persistent, even if we all had to eventually give up. So we’re now using Magix Vegas Pro - not as good, but still capable of editing a short film. I’m explaining this bit to show how our view of Resolve is not biased or based on what we use (now) ourselves.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31