Enclosed props for safety & durability

Reaction score
Excluding crashing into other aircraft, the two most terrible things I worry about flying my drone are a) hurting someone with my four spinning blades of death and b) crashing because one of them hits something.

Reason A is any we can’t fly over people. A drone falling on someone’s head is in a separate category from this discussion, please.

So, it occurs to me that this needs to be addressed. Someone with greater knowledge in (and experience with) this topic please reply: why can’t the props be protected in some fashion that allows sufficient airflow but simultaneously prevents the blades from touching anything but air? Think: birdcage enclosure. Think further: the prop is inside a bird case donut and that is a unit and that removable unit is what we attach and detach from the motors.

If we can do this think of all the potential crashes and injuries we could prevent?

The material for the bird cage donut could be carbon fiber: ultra light & super strong (so the “wires” could be very thin).

Aaaand as soon as I post this my buddy emails me and says, you mean like this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, like that! Doesn’t that make it significantly safer? So much so that we might reconsider the restrictions on flying over things, I believe. Wow, I’m impressed these exist. Anyone tried them?

Have you ever flown with prop guards fitted?

When used with the string they provide similar exclusion with the exception of ascending or descending.

The performance isn’t worth the protection in many instances.

Have you ever flown with prop guards fitted?

When used with the string they provide similar exclusion with the exception of ascending or descending.

The performance isn’t worth the protection in many instances.

I have not. Can you reword or clarify that middle paragraph please?

I have not. Can you reword or clarify that middle paragraph please?

Using the included string the props are protected from impact unless the aircraft is ascending or descending... meaning an object from above or below would not be kept out of the blades on the Prop Guards that are available for Phantoms.

Reactions: N017RW
With the DJI prop guards, the props are completely surrounded but the tops and bottoms are exposed. Thus you could still tangle them up when rising or falling around small branches for example.

When fitted the guards add weight and some additional surface area to ‘catch’ wind /breezes.

Hey Drestin Black. Now's your chance to fly with prop guards.. Check the classified's, I just put a set on.. you can have em for a song..PM me if an interest..

Excluding crashing into other aircraft, the two most terrible things I worry about flying my drone are a) hurting someone with my four spinning blades of death and b) crashing because one of them hits something.

Reason A is any we can’t fly over people. A drone falling on someone’s head is in a separate category from this discussion, please.

So, it occurs to me that this needs to be addressed. Someone with greater knowledge in (and experience with) this topic please reply: why can’t the props be protected in some fashion that allows sufficient airflow but simultaneously prevents the blades from touching anything but air? Think: birdcage enclosure. Think further: the prop is inside a bird case donut and that is a unit and that removable unit is what we attach and detach from the motors.

If we can do this think of all the potential crashes and injuries we could prevent?

The material for the bird cage donut could be carbon fiber: ultra light & super strong (so the “wires” could be very thin).

We considered making the " Cage " for the phantom 4 a few years back, and here is how it played out.

We bought a competitors Prop protector and I watched my kids that use to fly with respect and skill fly that thing like a wrecking ball, into the house , the car, the roof , the dog and friends started catching it like a Frisbee ..

It was all fun and games , until someone grabbed the drone thinking it was completely safe and cut there fingers . They just reached out and snagged it to take a look at it.

The writing was on the wall , without the fear of the props people were going to be stupid with the drone , just like that guy in the video, he immediately gravitated towards doing stupid things.

Not to mention all the other things about it being the Venus Fly Trap , Wind Sail, and training wheels so a certain amount of FEAR goes a long way in keeping everyone safe.

Than you have the Phantom 4 pro is like a harley wide glide , sleek, strong, and yet you hardly ever see one with a wind shield on it, just blows the hot rod thing out of the water, lol

Phantomrain.org '
Approved Vendor.

I’m sorry i remain a little confused, maybe it’s the egg nog. Let me stick to the topic of Phantom 4 guards.

If I’m reading the comments right: you are all referring to the type of guards that I’ve purchased.

IMG_4205.jpg

I’ve used them, they don’t added flight too much, unless you are in very strong windows or seeking top speeds. They worked well against accidentally going sideways into a wall or backing up into a wall. I found them lacking when it came to leaves off tree branches and the branches themselves and/or trees in general (I find myself around trees a lot)

Is this the type that everyone is talking about

Additionally, there is mention of a string. What string? (I didn’t buy the DJI brand guardsmen I bought 3rd party ones that were red and white pairs to aid in front/rear determination). No strings attached (pun intended).

Yes Drestin those kind of prop guards are most common (DJI and third party). Many come with string that connects around the outer circumference of the resulting outer ‘circle’ shape the guards make when mounted onto the Phantom. I personally never bother with the string, but it does add a little strength / rigidity to the overall mounting and purports to prevent something’s coming between two guards from side (like a rogue branch) and striking the props. With some imagination you will have the idea.

I too use white / red to assist in orientation - that bit works rather well actually.

Reactions: BigAl07
Aaaand as soon as I post this my buddy emails me and says, you mean like this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, like that! Doesn’t that make it significantly safer? So much so that we might reconsider the restrictions on flying over things, I believe. Wow, I’m impressed these exist. Anyone tried them?
I had one of those prop cages for Mavic. They use smaller props and significantly reduce performance but there are situations where they may be appropriate, like near tiny tree ("drone magnets") branches.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic