Fully enclosed prop guards

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a fully enclosed prop guard for a P3?
I am concerned that members of the public, especially children, could come in contact with the props and suffer major injuries.
A mesh enclosure that surrounds the prop and clamps on the arm of the P3 is what I have in mind.
These could be constructed from lightweight materials.
Would this affect the flight characteristic too much?
If the performance is affected a little but it is still safe to fly then I think these kind of modifications would go a long way to building confidence in the general public.
What do you all think?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

prop guards are like wind sails make bird due weird things don't even use them

I guessed they would affect the aerodynamics of the bird. And if it makes it do unpredictable things then that would defeat the object a little

Only seen enclosed prop guards on hovercraft and airboats, and they don't fly. I admire the thought on safety, but they aren't feasible for aircraft.

I guessed they would affect the aerodynamics of the bird. And if it makes it do unpredictable things then that would defeat the object a little

Safety bumpers...air bags.. and windshields affect the weight of a vehicle and affect gas mileage. Should we never use them? Sometimes prop guards are a good idea.

Comments deleted..........

Safety bumpers...air bags.. and windshields affect the weight of a vehicle and affect gas mileage. Should we never use them? Sometimes prop guards are a good idea.
but those don't effect flying in the air totally different

but those don't effect flying in the air totally different
I have not seen much difference in flying my P1s with or without prop guards although the added weight and surface no doubt can affect performance. I fly mine calm as I'm doing video and not on very windy days. If I wanted a racing balls out quad, I would buy one.

I believe that "flight" is created when air passes thru the props. If they were fully enclosed I don't think there would be any lift.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When I first started flying the P3A I add snap on prop guards. I was worried about hitting obstacles or people. But after about 20 flights I left them off. I did leave the bases on as hopefully that is helping to prevent the engine mount cracks. Anyway with the guards it flew well enough. Max speed was about 27 mph and the flight were about 12 minutes when the 30% battery remaining warning would alarm. Without? I have it 38 mph and 16 minute flights. Although admittedly this shouldn't be about speed but it does indicate a loss of capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've first used prop guards at the recommendation of the company that sold me my first drone,a P2 Vision. It was a good way to start off and made it easier to see the craft at greater distances. But, I recently installed arm braces on my P3P and the guards won't fit anymore. Immediately, I noticed greater control, acceleration and maneuverability. Just have to be even more careful kids don't run up to the drone when landing (which has happened).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4