Editing problem. Wrong file size.

Reaction score
so I am trying to edit togethor 3 short 4K clips totaling about 300 Mb, but despite repeated attempts, in at least 3 different 4K formats, the finished file is is only 38 to 42 Mb. Clearly NOT 4K, hell, that’s not even 720p, that’s a 15 year old flip phone.

What is happening? Where is my data going?

I am using Open Shot Video Editor. I have selected export as “high” quality at 4K UHD 2160p 24fps (3840x2160). I have tried MP4 format (h.264), MP4 (mpeg4), MOV (h.264), and MOV (mpeg4). The original file format is MOV.

On a side note, are there any free 4K Video editors that are actually worth a crap?

Where are you getting the clips from? Phone or camera SD card? If the phone they are not 4K. They are just cached low res copies.
Assuming you recorded in 4K you can expect (very) approximately 1GB per 10 min clip from the SD card.

If they come from the SD card (and are 4K files) then it's something in Open Shot - afraid I can't help you with that, I use Adobe products.

What’s the resolution of the original clips? To verify, if you’re using a PC, copy the videos from the SD card. Once copied to your computer, right click on one of them, then choose “Properties”. Then click on the “Details” tab. Your resolution will be shown there. If it’s not 4096 x 2160, you either don’t have your Phantom set to record 4K or you’re not using the video from the SD card. 300 MB is a pretty small size for three 4K clips unless they’re extremely short clips, ESPECIALLY for a .mov.

Another good option for checking is:

MediaInfo

Last edited:
What’s the resolution of the original clips? To verify, if you’re using a PC, copy the videos from the SD card. Once copied to your computer, right click on one of them, then choose “Properties”. Then click on the “Details” tab. Your resolution will be shown there. If it’s not 4096 x 2160, you either don’t have your Phantom set to record 4K or you’re not using the video from the SD card. 300 MB is a pretty small size for three 4K clips unless they’re extremely short clips, ESPECIALLY for a .mov.

Another good option for checking is:

MediaInfo

They are extremely short, total length is only 21 seconds.

They are timelapses from my Osmo+, NOT the 720ps the Osmo+ produces automatically, but ones made from the individual JPEG images (shot in J+V mode). I used DJI Media Maker to stitch them together into a 4K resolution video, on my computer. There are 3 videos, one 12 seconds long, one 8 seconds long, and one 1 second long, the total file size is over 300 Mb. When I try and stitch them together I get a 38-42 Mb file.

My idea is a cheaters day to night to day time lapse. The first video (starting just before sunset) was recorded for 3 hours taking a picture every 30 seconds, the second video (recorded early the next morning, starting just before sun rise) was recorded over 2 hours, with a picture every 30 seconds, and the third video was recorded for 20 minutes, starting just after the end of the second one (so I could get more of the sun fully up), it also took a picture every 30 seconds.

So my total video is 5 hours and 20 minutes with one frame every 30 seconds. It plays back at 24 frames per second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers