Editing FCP. GoPro recommends

Reaction score
GoPro's website recommends processing its MP4 footage via MPEG Streamclip:

"The .mp4 file type produced by the GoPro HD cameras is not supported by Apple’s Final Cut software. The file type is a compressed output format and not an ideal editing format. To convert your files to a more editing friendly format you must use 3rd party software such as MPEG Streamclip (free download)."

Or to use GoPro Studio (with its free "remove fish-eye" in advanced settings).

I use FCP 7 and I don't see any problem with .mp4. You?

I've been editing GoPro (.mp4) files in Final Cut Pro X for a while now. No issues. I do use MPEG Streamclip to assemble GoPro timelapses and then bring into FCPX for editing. That works fine as well. Also, found a free FCPX "remove fish-eye" plugin that works for P2V and GoPro.

I wish there was an editing section in this forum.
For FCP7: I'm going to mix footage that are 1080, 1440, 60fps, 30 and 24 fps.
Do you use MPEG Streamclip with export as ProRes 422 and then a FCP7 sequence settings 1080 30fps?
Last: ProRes 422 Proxy makes smaller files but the end product will be the same, correct?

It's a bit of a kludge to edit with the raw footage out of a GoPro, the codec it uses is ideal for recording quality footage, but it's not well suited to editing. (the same is true for movies coming out of other camera's as well).
it's the nature of how it's encoded that doesn't allow for easy scrubbing back and forth between sections.
which is why it's always recommended to transcode to a more editing-friendly codec. (although the footage file size will increase significantly).

GoPro Studio can easily do it for you, plus you can do it even within most editing apps. (FCPX includes it in it's import footage setting), making it almost transparent to the editor)

PhantomState said:
I've been editing GoPro (.mp4) files in Final Cut Pro X for a while now. No issues. I do use MPEG Streamclip to assemble GoPro timelapses and then bring into FCPX for editing. That works fine as well. Also, found a free FCPX "remove fish-eye" plugin that works for P2V and GoPro.

Hi there. Please share your free plug in info. I'm a FCPX user here in New Zealand. Cheers

Yes, Premiere is great at handling a multitude of file times - even on the same timeline. A good processor is a must, though, to help crunch those numbers. I also use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 to convert between different formats. It's really solid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl