Dunked the bird!

Let it dry for about 3days like next to a baseboard heater before powering up. Remove lens cap. My P3P recently spent 15 days in a tree at a height of 65 feet and was exposed to 2 days of rain and one day of light snow. The windstorm last weekend brought it to the ground. There was water behind lens cap. Removed lens cap and battery and dried it out for 3 days. Powered it up with my second battery and everything runs fine. Camera and gimbal are okay. Flew without any issues today.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Well guys, the results are in.

After three days of drying out my P3P, I finally plucked up the courage to try and power it up and ......................................

It works

I can't believe it and I'm so happy. My arse was twitching like a rabbits nose when i put the battery in and powered it up, and even as the gimbal went through it's normal procedure, I was still expecting the worst.

Thankfully though, the camera works, the gimbal works, the rotors all work so happy and relieved that it's all ok.

Iv not tried flying it yet, but so far so good.
Thanks for all the help and advice guys and hopefully all will be well when I fly it next.

Last edited:
Well guys, the results are in.

After three days of drying out my P3P, I finally plucked up the courage to try and power it up and ......................................

It works

I can't believe it and I'm so happy. My arse was twitching like a rabbits nose when i put the battery in and powered it up, and even as the gimbal went through it's normal procedure, I was still expecting the worst.

Thankfully though, the camera works, the gimbal works, the rotors all work so happy and relieved that it's all ok.

Iv not tried flying it yet, but so far so good.
Thanks for all the help and advice guys and hopefully all will be well when I fly it next.

Absolutely FANTASTIC news! Really happy for you mate!

Reactions: CLR121212
Still not had a chance to try and fly the bird yet, but so far things look to be ok :)

The only thing I can see wrong now, is that one of the front LED covers seems to have been lost. The lights work fine, just need to get a replacement cover for that and a replacement battery for the one that was in the bird when it took a swim (don't want to risk the battery after being in water!).

So, all in all, a replacement battery and new LED cover seem to be the only adverse effects suffered......for now.

Next few flights will be a bit of a nervous time, waiting/expecting something to go wrong but hoping nothing will of course.

After the drying out phase, checking and re-checkong everything seemed ok on the ground, I took the bird out this afternoon for the first flight since the "incident" with the water...............thankfully everything is working fine, flew like a dream, and it was definitely put to the test!

Kept well out of the way of any people/obstacles, just in case, but thankfully there seems to be no ill effects.

Will be keeping a very close eye on things for the next few flights!

Just need a replacement LED cover and new battery now :)

Good to hear! Is your battery wet or bulging? If it is dry you may want to try charging it. My battery endured 2 days of rain inside the drone up in the tree and now is fine.

Thanks for the tip. ;)

On a positive note, I managed to get the footage off the DS card and there's some lovely clips :rolleyes:

After a long stressful week I can now tell the story Ive been dreading.
Was At the lake flying my P3 filming a drunk friend trying to paddle board it was on and off like 30 times no balance in his brain at all. He had just fallen and I dropped down to 15 ft to get a close shot when his other drunk friend threw the paddle up at it and took it out of the sky. It did one flip and tried to right itself but no room. (As it turned out would not have mattered as it had a broken prop) It went under props down and came back up 5-8 second later still spinning. I jumped in and swam the 75ft or so out to it pulled it out of water it was dead in the water now pulled battery and dumped out the water. I was hot:mad::mad::mad: long story short dumb a%$ friend wrote me a check and I left drone with him since he now owned it.
Well 3 days later check comes back insufficient funds. Another long story but we settle on $500.00 and he gives me the drone back. I Figured I can part it out and still come out ok or maybe up.
So I get the drone today 1 week to the day after it went swimming( fresh water thank god) I take all apart(**** body clips are a bugger)I spray it all with Corrosion-X Anti-Corrosion Aerosol, wipe it down ,give it a good blow dry.and reassemble. Slam a new battery in it and push the button.:D:D:D:D IT ALL FIRED UP I did a IMU and gimbal cal took it outside did a compass dance. And set her free
amazing flew like a dream made 3 full battery flights and no issues.

PM I can tell you how to get a new battery for the wet one free

Reactions: Reed L
Still not had a chance to try and fly the bird yet, but so far things look to be ok :)

The only thing I can see wrong now, is that one of the front LED covers seems to have been lost. The lights work fine, just need to get a replacement cover for that and a replacement battery for the one that was in the bird when it took a swim (don't want to risk the battery after being in water!).

So, all in all, a replacement battery and new LED cover seem to be the only adverse effects suffered......for now.

Next few flights will be a bit of a nervous time, waiting/expecting something to go wrong but hoping nothing will of course.
Smart not to trust that battery. Glad she dried up for ya

Reactions: CLR121212
For anyone moving forward, do NOT put your recently wet drone in a bag of rice. Thats just ludicrous! There are way too many places rice can get stuck and cause more problems than what it's worth. Instead spend a couple extra days letting it air dry.

S5 tap'n

Glad all worked out and the bird is fine :) hopefully you won't be doing anymore flying on a battery at 3% lol happy flying

Reactions: cr6
We all live and learn lol I'm happy your situation worked out and your back to the skies :)

Good to hear! Is your battery wet or bulging? If it is dry you may want to try charging it. My battery endured 2 days of rain inside the drone up in the tree and now is fine.

The battery was wet but dried out very quickly. All the lights illuminate and there is no bulging at all. My concern is that something may happen to it either if I try to charge it or use it in the bird. I would hate to be mid flight and for it to fail or blow up whilst charging!

Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
One thing i forgot to ask. After I recovered the bird from the water and shook it, I remember seeing that some of the water droplets were a light pink in colour. Would I be right in saying that this is one of the indicators, that manufacturers use to confirm water ingress?

It could be. I know that the iPhone's have a water indicator inside the SIM card slot that turns red/pink when submerged.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20