Dump the P3 SE and go P4?

Reaction score
I originally had a P2 Vision and had a lot of fun with it even with it's limited range and glitchy video. The cameras died and I decided to up grade to a new bird. I got the P3 SE because of its reliability and the upgrades they did to it. I've flown it a few times and really disappointed with it. The video to so glitchy just like the my old P2 and at times goes black and white or just locks up. I bought it at Bestbuy and I I'm still in the period I can return it. Thinking of just cashing it in and Getting a P4. Is it truly that much better? Asking this stupid question because I just don't know. I went with all the Internet recommendations on the P3 SE and they were wrong. I trust this forum....

Reactions: crsttfr
I have a Vision too. I'm surprised you're having such problems with the SE considering the stock range on the Vision was only 300 meters and the stock range on the SE is supposed to be 10x that. There must be something wrong with yours. Your mobile device is adequate, right?

But yeah, lightbridge is "that much better." The image on your device is wonderfully HD and you'll get very nice distance too. You might consider getting a P3A/P over a P4 though. MHO

I wish I could help as I have the opposite question. Read my question I posted and maybe we can help each other even though I didn't get much response. I do real estate and thought I might save a few bucks by doing my own listings or may even make a few bucks on the side.

Reading these forums there sure seems to be a lot of problems with all of these drones, DJI support, broken this or that, et al. I can still take mine back for 10 more days but I'm wondering if I just bought an expensive toy/pain in the neck.

Or should we wait and see if P4-ADV come down. I'm at a loss.

I'm not a fan of ANY DRONE using WIFI (such as P3S), the range simply sucks, and connections are finicky because of the TCP/IP handshake protocol. Wifi was not designed for air to ground long distance video communications. Lightbridge is the bomb, it was designed specifically for air to ground video communications. My P3P will easily go 2 miles, and often 3 miles with just a windsurfer. It's for sale now. My P4 will also go 2 to 3 miles, but that's using an Inspire controller because the stock GL300C that comes with the P4 is anemic. The GL300C controller that came with my P4 has been in the drawer almost the entire time I've owned the P4, since March 2016. So if you're thinking of the P4, you may outgrow the limited range and need to upgrade the antenna, or buy a GL658 or GL300A controller, both of which makes the signal integrity with the P4 craft much better, like the original version P3P. You can forget the P4A, it uses the same anemic GL300C as P4, range is less than P3P. So IMO a good craft to buy would be an older P3P that uses GL300A or B, (NOT GL300C) or a P4P with the GL300F (without built in display). Those two craft will make you happy. You can pick up a good used P3P for about $700 to $850 with 3 or 4 batteries. That's what I would advise to any beginner that can't afford a P4P. My Mavic Pro has great range too, but the camera isn't as good as my original P3P.

Reactions: Elqueso2
I owned a P3 standard, then advanced, then moved to a P4. The P4 is simply so much better than the p3 it hurts. Sure, the P3 4k might be a great choice but once you have a P4 that's it... You'd never go back.

I originally had a P2 Vision and had a lot of fun with it even with it's limited range and glitchy video. The cameras died and I decided to up grade to a new bird. I got the P3 SE because of its reliability and the upgrades they did to it. I've flown it a few times and really disappointed with it. The video to so glitchy just like the my old P2 and at times goes black and white or just locks up. I bought it at Bestbuy and I I'm still in the period I can return it. Thinking of just cashing it in and Getting a P4. Is it truly that much better? Asking this stupid question because I just don't know. I went with all the Internet recommendations on the P3 SE and they were wrong. I trust this forum....

Thanks for all the great input. I took the P3 SE out one more time and hated it. Video was choppy and distance totally sucked. Few times only got out maybe 1000 FT and lost video & returned home. Took it back to Best Buy before my month was up and ordered a P4 Advanced. Will be here this Friday and will keep you posted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj