Dual engine failure (pic)

U

UAVLounge

I always like to post interesting and first time occurrences with customer equipment. Here is a dual ESC failure/fire. Anyone have similar?

ESC V2.1

Attachments

• P2V+ esc fire.jpg
    P2V+ esc fire.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 389
Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem the motors stalled, heated up, melted plastic at motor mounts, then the ESCs fried.

I always like to post interesting and first time occurrences with customer equipment. Here is a dual ESC failure/fire. Anyone have similar?

ESC V2.1

Dang. New one on me. What are the chances of that? It's a V3, too; ESC V2.1 and swiss-cheesed WiFi. Let's hope this isn't a trend. I upgraded my V2 to V3. From relative decline in ESC issues with the V2.1 rev, I thought these issues were behind us. Does dji twist the motor leads like that now?

Does dji twist the motor leads like that now?

That's probably their "fix" for their dumb move of using solid wires. Might dampen vibration somewhat, but I'm not sure how much that will help over time.

The wires twisted when the motor mount melted.

This really looks like stalled props initiated this.

Iv'e seen this type of failure where a pilot was flying to low over edge of swamp area and got hung up in cat tails. Props got hung up,while motors were still trying to spin. Heated up ESC and motors. Motors melted the mounts and base as well as top. ESC, finally blew and burned from props being hung. All power was going to stalled motors trying to compensate. New body motors and ESC's.

I understand you can freely turn the motors now, but when the damage occurred what was going on and were the props kept from turning rhen. More details are needed. Don't think this would happen from just sitting still. Something had to put a strain on the motors for them to heat up and melt.

I understand you can freely turn the motors now, but when the damage occurred what was going on and were the props kept from turning rhen. More details are needed. Don't think this would happen from just sitting still. Something had to put a strain on the motors for them to heat up and melt.

The great majority of ESC failures I have heard about have been caused by prop obstruction. My hypothsis: I'm seeing this one hanging in a tree for an extended period with the props tangled in the branches. The ESCs fed the motors max output power, thus heating the motors to the plastic melting point. the motors, now free of the Phantom, rotate on their own, twisting the wires. The ESCS continue to supply max power until they blow. Probably very early in the flight; the battery pack had plenty of juice to do the deed.

The great majority of ESC failures I have heard about have been caused by prop obstruction. My hypothsis: I'm seeing this one hanging in a tree for an extended period with the props tangled in the branches. The ESCs fed the motors max output power, thus heating the motors to the plastic melting point. the motors, now free of the Phantom, rotate on their own, twisting the wires. The ESCS continue to supply max power until they blow. Probably very early in the flight; the battery pack had plenty of juice to do the deed.

I agree most of your theory, Have to say that my phantom V2 dropped over tree branches and continued recording and trying to spin motors during 28 minutes !.
I found it squeezing cric cric cric hot motors, battery still 18% but nothing melted or damaged ESC. May be an additional hot environment helped to get hotter those motors in picture.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31