Dual controllers for the P4P?

Reaction score
I was just reading a comparison review of the various DJI products in an article in Fstoppers. The section on the P4P says

"Additional features: Dual controller/dual operator. 360-degree obstacle avoidance sensors on the Pro version but only forward and downward detection for the Advanced."

Dual controllers for the P4P? Did I miss something in my six months of flying the P4P and reading all the posts? Could you really fly with one controller and control the camera with a second person on a second controller? I'm presuming that this would be the external RC that you add a device to and not the tiny DJI screen type controllers?

Thanks

Andrew

I was just reading a comparison review of the various DJI products in an article in Fstoppers. The section on the P4P says

"Additional features: Dual controller/dual operator. 360-degree obstacle avoidance sensors on the Pro version but only forward and downward detection for the Advanced."

Dual controllers for the P4P? Did I miss something in my six months of flying the P4P and reading all the posts? Could you really fly with one controller and control the camera with a second person on a second controller? I'm presuming that this would be the external RC that you add a device to and not the tiny DJI screen type controllers?

Thanks

Andrew
I called Tech and asked if I could link a second controller to the 4 pro like my inspire he said absolute not cannot support another controller doesn't have the hardware the inspire has

I was wondering about this myself... This is on page 45 of the Phantom 4 manual...

Follow Mode
The gimbal’s orientation is aligned with the aircraft’s nose. One user alone can control the pitch motion of the gimbal, but a second operator is required to control the yaw motion using a second remote controller.

So did they take this function away when they designed the F4P?

I was wondering about this myself... This is on page 45 of the Phantom 4 manual...
Follow Mode
The gimbal’s orientation is aligned with the aircraft’s nose. One user alone can control the pitch motion of the gimbal, but a second operator is required to control the yaw motion using a second remote controller.

It's not in the latest version of the manual and it would make no sense anyway because no yaw motion (more than a tiny bit) is possible with any Phantom.
It's never been a feature and can only have been a bad cut and paste from the Inspire.
The only thing a second operator to do on a Phantom is to tilt the camera up and down but you can't connect a second controller anyway.

Reactions: Daveyboy
It's not in the latest version of the manual and it would make no sense anyway because no yaw motion (more than a tiny bit) is possible with any Phantom.
It's never been a feature and can only have been a bad cut and paste from the Inspire.
The only thing a second operator to do on a Phantom is to tilt the camera up and down but you can't connect a second controller anyway.
Seems like chinglish, the translation likely being follow mode is so smart it will point the gimble down or up for you so you don't need an inspire, second controller and a friend with a cinematic eye to do it for you.

Follow Mode

I just hung phone up with Support they said it was taken away there is no way a second controller will support it but I have seen utube vids with them using 2 controllers Odd maybe they added something on I'm gonna reach out to XLR Pros they will give an answer my inspire does support it and myS900 does as well

I just hung phone up with Support they said it was taken away there is no way a second controller will support it but I have seen utube vids with them using 2 controllers Odd maybe they added something on I'm gonna reach out to XLR Pros they will give an answer my inspire does support it and myS900 does as well
Unfortunately support isn't always a good place to get good information.
No Phantom has ever been able to link to two controllers at the same time.
And no Phantom has ever had the ability to yaw the camera.

You can't do twin controller Master / Slave mode with two GL300A/B/C controllers, like the ones sold with the P4. The controllers require a 5.8GHz radio, which only the Inspire RC has.

And no Phantom has ever had the ability to yaw the camera.

Incorrect. If you use Litchi you can yaw the P4 gimbal. Why you would want to is a different question entirely...

Thanks

Andrew
There is a workaround for dual operator configurations with the Phantom 4 Pro. If you use two Inspire 2 controllers paired to the Phantom 4 Pro you can in fact use dual operator configuration and Master Slave mode. We currently use this configuration for Flight Training by putting the master controller into coach mode. The slave controller can then have full access to any control the master can but the master can instantaneously override the slave controller. This also allows you to utilize two Crystal Sky monitors and the HDMI output of the Inspire 2 controllers.

Sorry to revive an old thread...

In Boefinator's scenario above, does this mean that the 2nd (camera) operator has control over gimbal up/down only?

Is the Camera Op able to take control over exposure and other camera / video settings whilst the PIC simultaneously retains control of the heading and attitude of the craft?... Or is a complete hand-over of control; the Op #2 takes over everything? it still may be useful in intelligent modes to hand over to focus / exposure / tilt for sure.

Thank you

Paul

Sorry to revive an old thread...

In Boefinator's scenario above, does this mean that the 2nd (camera) operator has control over gimbal up/down only?

Is the Camera Op able to take control over exposure and other camera / video settings whilst the PIC simultaneously retains control of the heading and attitude of the craft?... Or is a complete hand-over of control; the Op #2 takes over everything? it still may be useful in intelligent modes to hand over to focus / exposure / tilt for sure.

Thank you

Paul
You can control camera settings and tilt from the Slave controller while the Master controller flies.

Reactions: NIFly
There is a workaround for dual operator configurations with the Phantom 4 Pro. If you use two Inspire 2 controllers paired to the Phantom 4 Pro you can in fact use dual operator configuration and Master Slave mode. We currently use this configuration for Flight Training by putting the master controller into coach mode. The slave controller can then have full access to any control the master can but the master can instantaneously override the slave controller. This also allows you to utilize two Crystal Sky monitors and the HDMI output of the Inspire 2 controllers.

If I understand you correctly, I could attach 2 Inspire 2 controller to Phantom 4 PRO+ and use one to coach a student who is controlling the other RC. If the student gets into trouble, I could use my RC to override the mistake. Is this correct thinking? Thanks so much

If I understand you correctly, I could attach 2 Inspire 2 controller to Phantom 4 PRO+ and use one to coach a student who is controlling the other RC. If the student gets into trouble, I could use my RC to override the mistake. Is this correct thinking? Thanks so much
Sorry, I read your post incorrectly. It would not work with a Phantom 4 PRO+ controller, you have to use 2 Inspire 2 Remotes. You pair one of the I2 remotes to the Phantom 4 Pro and then set the second I2 controller as a slave to the first one. Your P4P+ controller is not used and cannot be work in master / slave, it requires two Inspire 2 controllers. Our P4P controllers sit in a box, never been used!

And to further complicate matters, you can "yaw" the camera in this configuration using the Pilot App by holding the screen and moving your finger back and forth. You get about 30 degrees of yaw but the camera will center when you take your finger off. It's not super useful as Meta pointed out.

Last edited:
Sorry, I read your post incorrectly. It would not work with a Phantom 4 PRO+ controller, you have to use 2 Inspire 2 Remotes. You pair one of the I2 remotes to the Phantom 4 Pro and then set the second I2 controller as a slave to the first one. Your P4P+ controller is not used and cannot be work in master / slave, it requires two Inspire 2 controllers. Our P4P controllers sit in a box, never been used!

And to further complicate matters, you can "yaw" the camera in this configuration using the Pilot App by holding the screen and moving your finger back and forth. You get about 30 degrees of yaw but the camera will center when you take your finger off. It's not super useful as Meta pointed out.
Thanks for the info. I was looking around - is there some documentation somewhere that shows an I2 RC can be used on a P4P? I'm seeing a few P4Ps for sale on ebay without a controller.

Thanks for the clarification - need two Inspire remotes to control the Phantom 4 PRO+ (forget the controller that came with the P4P. A bit pricey but would let me use the P4P for training.

Its because of Lightbridge / Ocusync it seems
DJI said:
  • Multiple Device Connectivity

OcuSync can connect to multiple devices at the same time. It can link two remote controllers* or a remote controller and set of DJI Goggles. OcuSync can sense aircraft altitude and the relative position of aircrafts while choosing the ideal antenna combination for Goggles, the remote controller, and aircraft for optimal signal transmission.
* Linking of two remote controllers will be available in a future firmware update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20