Drowned P2Vision Plus, and couldn't be happier!

The new ESCs for my newly resuscitated P2V+ arrived this morning, along with this Armor waterproof case for the new P2V+ bird. I got it from Amazon for $75 (original price was listed at $450!). Wonder how many folks paid THAT! There's plenty of room for charger, batteries, controller, cords, and just about everything else you'd need except for maybe a cold beer or three! A waterproof case for $75 that isn't carry-on baggage friendly, measuring about 24 1/2" wide, 20" deep, and a little over 10" in height. But if you're just lugging, not flying, this is pretty hard to pass up if you have the cash. It's noticeably heavier than my carry-on friendly Go Productions case for my P2+ setup, but still... Seventy-five bucks for a water-proof case!

case-1.jpg

Last edited:
So easy to forget the basics! After replacing the four ESCs of my formerly drowned P2V+ with the new v2.1 versions in anticipation of replacing the older 2212 motors with the 2313's, I found that two of the replacements were actually 2212's sent in error from the Amazon seller. I've returned them and ordered new ones, but couldn't wait to see how the resurrected bird would fly. So I replaced the one bad 2212 with a spare that I had and took her out for a test flight this afternoon. Performance was terrific, but I couldn't get the compass to calibrate, so drift was a problem.

Thinking that maybe I still had some remaining problem from the original "baptism" by dunking in the swimming pool, I started looking at ways of testing. Then it hit me! I didn't do the S1 flip 5 times to calibrate the bird with the replacement controller. So I took her out tonight with a calm and clear sky to try her out again. Glory be! She's working again, camera, gimbal, iPad Ground Station ap and all!

Perseverance, having the tools and patience, and a lot of luck has made this a VERY happy experience indeed!

Can you please explain this part "I didn't do the S1 flip 5 times to calibrate the bird with the replacement controller" ?

What is this calibration ? I will also replace my V2 RC with V3 and I see that I need to press that button for 5 sec on the bird and then turn ON the RC but what else should I do with the RC ?

Can you please explain this part "I didn't do the S1 flip 5 times to calibrate the bird with the replacement controller" ?

What is this calibration ? I will also replace my V2 RC with V3 and I see that I need to press that button for 5 sec on the bird and then turn ON the RC but what else should I do with the RC ?

First, you need to make sure that you run the Phantom 2 RC Assistant software with your controller plugged into a USB port on the host computer. This calibrates the controls. Make sure you know if you have the Basic or Advanced (four green LEDs) controller, and check the appropriate box. Then make sure that you have the latest firmware updates on the Phantom (v. 3.14 for the P2 series). If everything is up to date and connected, you turn the controller on first, then the Phantom. Do the compass calibration both horizontally, then vertically. Flip the S1 switch of your controller on and off at least 5 times, then you should see the solid green LEDs at the rear of the bird. I was only getting the flashing yellow before I figured out my error. Hope this helps, and it's been covered many times before on this forum. But learning to navigate and search can be confusing. Many good videos on YouTube also!

Arent controller sticks calibrated when I connect the Phantom to the PC and then press Calibrate for X1 channel and right next to it is the stick calibration ? Now I have Basic but will have Upgrade model with 4 LEDs.

Latest firmware is on the Phantom.

Ok for Compass calibration, I know how to do it but when flipping S1 4-5 times it starts the compas calibration on the Phantom ? What do you get with that that is different ? Or maybe you meant S2 on the left side ? If you can pelase explain if you flip it from front to back 5 times ot front-to-middle 5 times. What does this command do ?

My compass calibration was not working until I flipped S1 (right side) 5 or more times rapidly to correct my problem. I had flashing yellow before doing this, then finally got the solid green once the calibration was set.

Oh, I thought that you made something with RC by flipping this. Sorry for misunderstanding :)

First, you need to make sure that you run the Phantom 2 RC Assistant software with your controller plugged into a USB port on the host computer. This calibrates the controls. Make sure you know if you have the Basic or Advanced (four green LEDs) controller, and check the appropriate box. Then make sure that you have the latest firmware updates on the Phantom (v. 3.14 for the P2 series). If everything is up to date and connected, you turn the controller on first, then the Phantom. Do the compass calibration both horizontally, then vertically. Flip the S1 switch of your controller on and off at least 5 times, then you should see the solid green LEDs at the rear of the bird. I was only getting the flashing yellow before I figured out my error. Hope this helps, and it's been covered many times before on this forum. But learning to navigate and search can be confusing. Many good videos on YouTube also!
I just want to make sure you are doing the compass cal correctly. When I read back your text it is a bit confusing on the order of thigs. This is the accepted method:
How to Calibrate
  • Power up your Phantom and accessories as normal.
  • P1 / P2: Flip S1 five times between the top two positions, or initiate cal through he app (preferred)
  • Confirm solid yellow rear lights.
  • Pick up the Phantom and turn it smoothly and steadily a full 360 degrees until the lights turn solid green.
  • Point the front of the Phantom straight down and repeat until the lights turn off and resume normal flashing.
    Note: Don't be concerned if your gimbal reacts poorly to being face down, keep turning as normal.
  • Power off and restart Phantom.
  • Enjoy your flight!

I just want to make sure you are doing the compass cal correctly. When I read back your text it is a bit confusing on the order of thigs. This is the accepted method:
How to Calibrate
  • Power up your Phantom and accessories as normal.
  • P1 / P2: Flip S1 five times between the top two positions, or initiate cal through he app (preferred)
  • Confirm solid yellow rear lights.
  • Pick up the Phantom and turn it smoothly and steadily a full 360 degrees until the lights turn solid green.
  • Point the front of the Phantom straight down and repeat until the lights turn off and resume normal flashing.
    Note: Don't be concerned if your gimbal reacts poorly to being face down, keep turning as normal.
  • Power off and restart Phantom.
  • Enjoy your flight!

Much clearer procedure description than mine.. My original point was that I had forgot the S2 switch flip sequence when binding the replacement controller to my bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj