Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

I got my new damper pads in the mail today and I installed them. Gotta try them out this weekend before some big shoots next week. Can't say that I can see where these will improve anything, but will wait to see for sure with results. Look very simolar to me, but the proof will be in the pudding. I am still happy I bought mine and waiting on something better can always prove not the best ss there will aleays be something better just over pthe horizon and never stopps. My videos look so much better than before, so I am happy and can upgrade more someday if needed, but by that time, a better everything will come out and will need something else to make that better also. It never ends. I am up on the game now, so happy.

dastagg said:
I got my new damper pads in the mail today and I installed them. Gotta try them out this weekend before some big shoots next week. Can't say that I can see where these will improve anything, but will wait to see for sure with results. Look very simolar to me, but the proof will be in the pudding. I am still happy I bought mine and waiting on something better can always prove not the best ss there will aleays be something better just over pthe horizon and never stopps. My videos look so much better than before, so I am happy and can upgrade more someday if needed, but by that time, a better everything will come out and will need something else to make that better also. It never ends. I am up on the game now, so happy.

I like pudding!! Yeah, I look forward to see how the dampeners work for you! They seem to make things better. And I agree, the fact that the videos are 110X better than before is so great to me. I love my gimbal, and everyone I show my videos to are extremely happy with the results. My issue is now I want a better video . . . so I'm actually looking at the F550! They have a deal now for a complete system for $750 . . . So I might sale my rig and go with a little more stable platform. But for now I'm very happy with the gimbal and ease of use of my Phantom V2.

I put the new pads on and flew today to test them out. Well, I can't see that it helped and possibly made it worse? I did some video using different methods and will post in a few days but leaving on a shoot tomorrow using this system and don't see any improvement and again, it may be worse. I went and got some moon jel pads and tried that also and still has some vibration to the video while flying. I put new blades on and still no improvement. I am supposing the gimbal on the legs as stated just isn't the greatest method. I am a little dissapointed that this didn't help, although I never really thought changing the pads really would help. Just hopefull. I still think this gimbal is much better than stock, but not as great as once thought. I didn't exactly see the shake from the beginning but the more I work with this, the more I see it.

I hope the other gimbal coming out is better and if proven to be as good as hoped for, I may spring for that further down the road when they become available without back orders. IThe 7th channel thing is nice, however not as nice as I thought it would be. It doesn't move as smoothly as I thought it should and have played a lot with it but still seems a little sticky even with some lube on the slide. Better than stock, but not as good as it could be with some tweeking. I do like the results, but not rated as a 5 to me. Maybe a 4. There will always be something better around the corner, and will look at upgrading if it does, but for now, this one works OK. Yes, it's expensive but does a pretty good job. I have a job Monday using it and should do a decent job, just not quite as good as I would like it to do. Was a little flustrated today as this thing seem a little sensitive vs that the Rotopixal appears to be more simple system with less complicated configuration. Relying on a simple damper pad for getting rid of jello or vibration shakes is not a great thing. I am glad I got it when I did and not still waiting on the Rotopixal, but would be interested in seeing the results of it's performance.
I also tried other settings on the camera using 720 60fps and didn't help vs 1080 30fps. I also hot melted a small lightweight circular polarizer to see if all the hoopla that has been speculated on here and that make it shake even more than without. I could even see the shaking on the iphone and looking at it while hovering a few feet hovering by me, I could see the shaking by looking at the camera. Removed that filter and that test sure didn't help. Oh well, will continue trying to see if I can get more jello out of it and although I didn't see it much prior, I can see it more and more now than ever. Sorry for long post, but was hoping those new pads from Dronexpert would improve things, but doesn't appear much will at this time. Will post video after I get back from my Business Shoot later in the next week. Leaving tomorrow a little dissapointed. At least any video used for my shoot will only be a supplement to several other groung cameras as main cameras. This was for just fill in perspective suppliments.

whitelens said:
dastagg said:

I like pudding!! Yeah, I look forward to see how the dampeners work for you! They seem to make things better. And I agree, the fact that the videos are 110X better than before is so great to me. I love my gimbal, and everyone I show my videos to are extremely happy with the results. My issue is now I want a better video . . . so I'm actually looking at the F550! They have a deal now for a complete system for $750 . . . So I might sale my rig and go with a little more stable platform. But for now I'm very happy with the gimbal and ease of use of my Phantom V2.

who has this deal with the f550 for $750.00? does anybody know?

yep, thats the one. . . sorry. . yeah $799. Anyone else thinking of jumping to the F550?

whitelens said:
yep, thats the one. . . sorry. . yeah $799. Anyone else thinking of jumping to the F550?

i keep thinking about it but the one thing that bothers me with these larger frame quads is the flight time.

I am most likely stopping at this point with what I have. Maybe an upgrade for what I have, but don't see myself getting more drones. I still have a Phantom 1 just sitting and not being used. I will retire in the next couple of years, so this is my stopping point for now. Can't justify getting another one for myself only.

dastagg said:
I put the new pads on and flew today to test them out. Well, I can't see that it helped and possibly made it worse? I did some video using different methods and will post in a few days but leaving on a shoot tomorrow using this system and don't see any improvement and again, it may be worse. I went and got some moon jel pads and tried that also and still has some vibration to the video while flying. I put new blades on and still no improvement. I am supposing the gimbal on the legs as stated just isn't the greatest method. I am a little dissapointed that this didn't help, although I never really thought changing the pads really would help. Just hopefull. I still think this gimbal is much better than stock, but not as great as once thought. I didn't exactly see the shake from the beginning but the more I work with this, the more I see it.

I hope the other gimbal coming out is better and if proven to be as good as hoped for, I may spring for that further down the road when they become available without back orders. IThe 7th channel thing is nice, however not as nice as I thought it would be. It doesn't move as smoothly as I thought it should and have played a lot with it but still seems a little sticky even with some lube on the slide. Better than stock, but not as good as it could be with some tweeking. I do like the results, but not rated as a 5 to me. Maybe a 4. There will always be something better around the corner, and will look at upgrading if it does, but for now, this one works OK. Yes, it's expensive but does a pretty good job. I have a job Monday using it and should do a decent job, just not quite as good as I would like it to do. Was a little flustrated today as this thing seem a little sensitive vs that the Rotopixal appears to be more simple system with less complicated configuration. Relying on a simple damper pad for getting rid of jello or vibration shakes is not a great thing. I am glad I got it when I did and not still waiting on the Rotopixal, but would be interested in seeing the results of it's performance.
I also tried other settings on the camera using 720 60fps and didn't help vs 1080 30fps. I also hot melted a small lightweight circular polarizer to see if all the hoopla that has been speculated on here and that make it shake even more than without. I could even see the shaking on the iphone and looking at it while hovering a few feet hovering by me, I could see the shaking by looking at the camera. Removed that filter and that test sure didn't help. Oh well, will continue trying to see if I can get more jello out of it and although I didn't see it much prior, I can see it more and more now than ever. Sorry for long post, but was hoping those new pads from Dronexpert would improve things, but doesn't appear much will at this time. Will post video after I get back from my Business Shoot later in the next week. Leaving tomorrow a little dissapointed. At least any video used for my shoot will only be a supplement to several other groung cameras as main cameras. This was for just fill in perspective suppliments.

Dastagg. I've been trying out to solve the jello and here are some things that worked for me:

1-The four pads need to be fitting the out cuts and rest with no room for slipping. Confirm that they are in place prior to take off.
2-Re check if the 4 plastic screws that fix the camera downward are tight enough and so the rubber tubes without any loosing.
3-If there is enough space between the arm that holds at the vertical gimbal motor side and the camera, then you don't need to add the new pads. If you place pads in between, vibrations are going to increase. I added my own pads and put them off after testing. Unmounted the camera and realized that the rubber tubes were not completely down inside. Mount it again getting a free space and jello was less.
4- Then, tested flying the Phantom in a wide covered area at 1080p/30fps and confirmed that there was any jello. Then my next goal is to limit the amount of light with the filters.

Now I'm waiting the filters and filters mount to try with them

Thaanks, I did check and the pads are in the slots made for them (however, my old ones were not and may have done better). The screws are tight as suggested. I did put the new pads between the camera and the holder although as was suggested. You apparently removed yours? Hmmm. I shot video using several settings such as 720 60fps, 1080 60 fps, and 1080 30 fps. All were simular. I put the circular polarizer which gives ND effect and seemed worse and probably because of weight difference? Anyway, I may take of the side pads, but if they are needed, then I have no more to replace? I'm as odds on this. Video shaking was worse with filter still though, so I removed the filter as it was just hot melt glued in place to test. I have a lot of work tomorrow shooting at the Texas A&M Fire School and was hoping to get some cool overheads, but not too promising now, but gonna try anyway.

Hi Dastaag. I removed the side pads because I got the camera cleared from the holders so no reason to have them on. But if this is not your case you should keep them. Did you re calibrate the phantom after adding the filter holder??
I'm also balancing props. It's very tricky but doable.

I'm still fighting so don't let me alone!!. We are all on this until getting a final conclusion.

No, I didn't recalibrate mine. Probably should have but didn't even think about doing it. Will try it out this morning before I head out. will see how it goes today. Lots of flying to do today. I will have this camera going as well as one ground large camera as well as 4 GoPros today. Lots of editing coming up. Filming today and Wednesday at same location, so hopefully can get enough to get some good footage.
As for a filter holder, I did't want the extra weight and for testing only, I merely hot melted in a few spots a polarizer filter but didn't appear to help with jello effect and was actually worse and supposing due to the weight although this filter was feather light. I removed it afterwards when I saw it did not help. I will try to put some video together and post with each test I did later this week, however, it didn't look good. I looked at my older footage and can see a little jello in those, however this series of video looked worse.

dastagg said:
No, I didn't recalibrate mine. Probably should have but didn't even think about doing it. Will try it out this morning before I head out. will see how it goes today. Lots of flying to do today. I will have this camera going as well as one ground large camera as well as 4 GoPros today. Lots of editing coming up. Filming today and Wednesday at same location, so hopefully can get enough to get some good footage.
As for a filter holder, I did't want the extra weight and for testing only, I merely hot melted in a few spots a polarizer filter but didn't appear to help with jello effect and was actually worse and supposing due to the weight although this filter was feather light. I removed it afterwards when I saw it did not help. I will try to put some video together and post with each test I did later this week, however, it didn't look good. I looked at my older footage and can see a little jello in those, however this series of video looked worse.
anyone have any luck with the "rubber band" solution? Good luck Dastagg, College Station is right up the road from me . .have fun!!!! Hey, it should be cloudy today, so that should help you out :)

Yes, I am pretty close to your area. Did the shoot today and went well......well a little well anyway. I had three ground cameras going as well as the Phantom for the first burn today. Went well and think I got some good video. However........the big boys in the tower of the A&M School saw the drone and demanded for me to land. I did and there was a lot of discussion that occured and we had prior approval before I even went as I knew enough to check first. Anyway, they said that had no procedure for doing this and until a procedure could be written, no more flying. I got a lot of video anyway, just only one overhead view. Dissapointing, but I understood, however, my company was pretty upset since we had verbal approval prior to going to this school. There are a lot of ongoing discussions, but am sure it will not happen this week. Wednedsday is my last day here. I haven't viewed the video yet, but from looking at the screen, it looks ok. When I landed, I saw a lot of water on the drone from steam and such from the fire fighting and I was carefull to stay away from any water spray. Didn't seem to hurt anything. Will be viewing the video this evening and tomorrow ready to video again Wednesday. Tons of very close video right up next to some pretty large fires and more overhead would have sure helped suppliment the video outcomes. Dissapointing conclusion.

dastagg said:
Yes, I am pretty close to your area. Did the shoot today and went well......well a little well anyway. I had three ground cameras going as well as the Phantom for the first burn today. Went well and think I got some good video. However........the big boys in the tower of the A&M School saw the drone and demanded for me to land. I did and there was a lot of discussion that occured and we had prior approval before I even went as I knew enough to check first. Anyway, they said that had no procedure for doing this and until a procedure could be written, no more flying. I got a lot of video anyway, just only one overhead view. Dissapointing, but I understood, however, my company was pretty upset since we had verbal approval prior to going to this school. There are a lot of ongoing discussions, but am sure it will not happen this week. Wednedsday is my last day here. I haven't viewed the video yet, but from looking at the screen, it looks ok. When I landed, I saw a lot of water on the drone from steam and such from the fire fighting and I was carefull to stay away from any water spray. Didn't seem to hurt anything. Will be viewing the video this evening and tomorrow ready to video again Wednesday. Tons of very close video right up next to some pretty large fires and more overhead would have sure helped suppliment the video outcomes. Dissapointing conclusion.

Sorry for the issue. I also will be shooting aerials this week. I hope to get the filters and filter holder and attach them with rubber bands as suggested by White

Remember with the filter, you will likely get some reflections from between the lens and filter on the video. When I tried the polarizer filter by a few touches of hot melt glue, it held well but had some reflections on the video which were not terrible, but bad enough that I would be hesitant to use a filter due to the reflections. Can possibly eliminate using a dark flat black cover over the silver part outside of lens, but just didn't see any positive effects when I tried using the filter. I removed mine and going as is. I am uploading my video of today, but will take several hours to upload. Here is the link to the video, but will take a while to complete the upload, so if you can't see it, it will come later after it completes. http://youtu.be/fMYWFb8YqeY

dastagg said:
Remember with the filter, you will likely get some reflections from between the lens and filter on the video. When I tried the polarizer filter by a few touches of hot melt glue, it held well but had some reflections on the video which were not terrible, but bad enough that I would be hesitant to use a filter due to the reflections. Can possibly eliminate using a dark flat black cover over the silver part outside of lens, but just didn't see any positive effects when I tried using the filter. I removed mine and going as is. I am uploading my video of today, but will take several hours to upload. Here is the link to the video, but will take a while to complete the upload, so if you can't see it, it will come later after it completes.
link please ????

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94