DroneShield being deployed by NASCAR

I too wonder, although article did indicate if (optional) GPS block, it would land else return to known location (I guess they meant RTH if GPS unblocked).. I can’t recall what phantom behaviour is under RC looses contact AND if no
GPS - it can’t return home obviously, does it land? It would on critical battery eventually nodoubt.

Last edited:
I too wonder, although article did indicate if (optional) GPS block, it would land else return to known location (I guess they meant RTH if GPS unblocked).. I can’t recall what phantom behaviour is under RC looses contact AND no if GPS - it can’t return home obviously, does it land? It would on critical battery eventually nodoubt.
It goes into ATTI mode... and drifts... into the crowd??

Reactions: MTO and KentA
Yes valid senario me thinks, I guess one could try by (setting RTH if loss of control) then putting Phantom some distance and height away, switch over to ATTI mode then disconnect RC & see what happens.. bugs me I don’t know [emoji848]

According to this article, they imply that loss of gps AND RC signal will force a landing. Is that true with DJI drones?

Even if so I don’t think it would have any choice but to go into ATTI mode before landing - still leaving it vulnerable to drift.

Watch This "Drone Gun" Safely Take Down a DJI Phantom | Inverse

I agree, ATTI mode is what they revert to if no GPS as we know, so the drift risk is real as you say. The forced landing as stated I just don’t know about. I wouldn’t have thought so - as it may land itself in (say) water or other harms way.

I would have guessed the built in logic would force a hover until battery condition forces a self-preserving landing (its out of juice anyway - typically at 10% battery). But guessing is just that - I don’t know the facts on this.

I will try test on P4P and P3P over weekend if can get out.

Reactions: ferncfc
Most recently it introduced a new version of its handheld “DroneGun,” which scrambles the UAV’s signal so that it has no choice but to safely put itself down, as these devices are generally programmed to do.
Really?
DJI drones (>70% of drones out in the wild) are programmed to RTH if they lose signal.
I wonder if these things really work or if the sales talk is just bluff.

You can download the ‘DroneShield’ handbook from their site, and it explains what their system can and cannot do. One point I found missing from their system is ‘controllability’. They may be able to stop the drone in flight, but they really have no control of flight from that point. (Unless that is a proprietary point they won’t share)

Seems to me a drone that is essentially in ATTI mode with no control inputs is a falling object at some point. Legal consequences could be incurred if injury or damage to property is the result of DroneShields actions. Like you @Meta4, I wonder if it works....and works safely.

Understandable someone would think to manufacture something like this. It's been suggested that terrorists could start using drones to pull off their next attack.

Reactions: RW8888
I don't recall ever reading anyone being able to take control as a part of their 'system'.

I did not read the documents bsa referred to but it seems that detection is the primary selling point with take-down possible. This would have to be a case-by-case decision I imagine.

Though not mentioned yet nor saying this is a facet of their system, once a drone is detected the operator could be located using radio triangulation by trained individuals and proper equipment. Given enough time he/she could be intercepted.

Not sure how a Litchi mission or similar would play into this.

Yes valid senario me thinks, I guess one could try by (setting RTH if loss of control) then putting Phantom some distance and height away, switch over to ATTI mode then disconnect RC & see what happens.. bugs me I don’t know [emoji848]
In that situation, the Phantom would use GPS to come home since GPS is available but not being used.
You would have to block GPS with something like aluminium foil to test properly.

Reactions: Loz
Not sure how a Litchi mission or similar would play into this.
Yeah, I highly doubt these interference -based systems would have any effect at all on a Litchi mission.

Like so many other things, it's just a pointless cat and mouse game.

In that situation, the Phantom would use GPS to come home since GPS is available but not being used.
You would have to block GPS with something like aluminium foil to test properly.
That’s what I was thinking

Yeah, I highly doubt these interference -based systems would have any effect at all on a Litchi mission.

Like so many other things, it's just a pointless cat and mouse game.
The literature I pointed to did mention GPS disruption I believe.

Reactions: Loz
There is no restriction on detection devices. i.e. DroneShield

The jammer ‘gun’ is different.

From their website:

DroneGun MKII has not been authorized as required by the United States Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”). This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, in the United States, other than to the United States government, its agencies, and its properly delegated representatives, until such authorization is obtained. The use of DroneGun MKII in the United States by other persons or entities, including, in certain circumstances, state or local government agencies, is prohibited by federal law. Laws limiting the availability of DroneGun MKII to certain types of users may apply in other jurisdictions, and any sales will be conducted only in compliance with the applicable laws.”

The literature I pointed to did mention GPS disruption I believe.

It did, making a Litchi mission just as vulnerable as any other controlled flight, ie with no GPS and no RC the quad would effectively be disabled other than drift/ land when battery forces it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj