DroneShield’s Deployment Results in Arrest at College Football Game

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
On August 31, 2019, DroneShield’s system was being utilised at the opening game of the football season at a major college team stadium. This deployment was part of the university’s efforts to provide protection against unmanned aerial vehicles. (See the link below for the FULL story . . .)

And for anyone who isn't aware of what DroneShield is here is their website directly:

How can anyone be so [Language removed by Admin] stupid and fly over or near people?

Last edited by a moderator:
"According to the University of Michigan policy on the operation of drones (unmanned aircraft systems or UAS), penalties for “unsafe or unauthorized” use of a drone by anyone on the Michigan campus may include “criminal and/or civil penalties.”

Public university = public property???
If one is a visitor, there's no signage,
& doesn't fly over people-students...?
Is this true of all US colleges-universities???
Crikey, if one is on day-to-day road trip &
doesn't want to deal with red tape, the only
solution is to aerial photograph from edge
of campuses...or take off & land from edge
& then fly over campus...?

Last edited:
"According to the University of Michigan policy on the operation of drones (unmanned aircraft systems or UAS), penalties for “unsafe or unauthorized” use of a drone by anyone on the Michigan campus may include “criminal and/or civil penalties.”

Public university = public property???
If one is a visitor, there's no signage,
& doesn't fly over people-students...?
Is this true of all US colleges-universities???
Crikey, if one is on day-to-day road trip &
doesn't want to deal with red tape, the only
solution is to aerial photograph from edge
of campuses...or take off & land from edge
& then fly over campus...?

Public property can still have "Land Use" regulations/guidelines/rules.

Am I the only one who feels that the best angle for any sporting or concert events is an oblique angle which facilitates excellent coverage withOUT flying directly over people??? Even back in the 2-axis gimbal days I knew this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

D

Reactions: BigAl07
Am I the only one who feels that the best angle for any sporting or concert events is an oblique angle which facilitates excellent coverage withOUT flying directly over people??? Even back in the 2-axis gimbal days I knew this.

D

That's what always baffles me. Straight down shots usually SUCK. We shoot 95% oblique and don't fly over peeps.....

Reactions: GadgetGuy

D
Well, you do have to consider that the oblique angle in a football stadium is a different thing than an oblique angle at a soccer field in a park. Use the same angle which was used in that video at a football stadium, and your drone is hanging directly over section 124, row 42, seats 1-4...

one major issue not touched on here. location ann arbor Michigan where the flight was at is controlled to the surface CLASS D AIRSPACE not class g. In fact the surface part of class d covers almost the entire ann arbor city limits. Stadium site included. That and the tfr that was in effect. The class d airspace is one big reason for me that ann arbor is off limits.

Reactions: BigAl07
Terence, KARB is a LAANC airport, so not sure why you’d be dissuaded from flying in their Class D with easy-to-get authorization. Of course, TFRs are another story and would preclude flying on those days.

I was at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey Saturday night for my sons’ marching band competition and found this entry on the stadium’s electronic billboards interesting.

Attachments

• 8764181D-9A10-41F5-8C90-A5D5E231AEEF.jpeg
    8764181D-9A10-41F5-8C90-A5D5E231AEEF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 182

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic