Drones and the Surveying Professional

Okay, my last try.:rolleyes:

From the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers & Surveyors website.

Oblique Aerial Photography
Volume Computation Survey

This includes "I took some pictures, used some software and made some estimations based on the data and the analysis thereof. I did not pretend to seal anything with an engineering or surveyor's seal, or misrepresent myself or the data or the analysis in any way. Why is this not "legal"?". Yes, this is defined as Photogrammetry and Volume Computation Surveying & you must be a Licensed Land Surveyor in NC to offer that service. If you perform these services for a profit, you are in violation of NC state law. You seem to be under the belief that as long as you don't claim to be Surveyor, all is good. It does not matter if you claim to be a Surveyor or not, by offering these services, you are practicing Land Surveying in NC. Not sure how to make it any clearer. The Authority the Board has is granted by the State Legislature, with all Board members appointed by the Governor.

By your logic, I can do so many things!

-Put a cast on someones broken arm, but hey, as long as I don't call myself a Doctor, I'm fine.
-Rewire someones house, but hey, as long as I don't call myself an Electrician, I'm fine.
-Build someones house, , but hey, as long as I don't call myself a Builder, I'm fine.
-Represent someone in Court, but hey, as long as I don't call myself an Attorney, I'm fine.

Fortunately, all these Professions require a License to offer these services. Just like Land Surveying.;)

Beware the duck police!!o_O

ps: Pretty sure ducks don't have to be licensed to flap there wings!

Dmax, I appreciate the discussion, and I do not wish to make light of your credentials. I have surveyors in my office and I understand the amount of work and study it takes to earn that accreditation.

I work for a huge company, and they have a huge legal department. The question at hand was posed to that department 3 years ago when the company I work for started their UAV initiative. The response was, as long as you are not touting it as a sealed survey or pretending you have credentials that you do not have, then it is not illegal. That was the lawyer's analysis, not mine.

In fact, I have been making maps of sites all over the country for 12 years. They contain approximate boundaries and topographic, bathymetric and potentiometric contours and volume estimates and the like to the tune of 10s of thousands of maps. Many times we even incorporate survey data into our maps.

They are routinely delivered to state and federal regulatory agencies without anyone batting an eyelash. So my stance on the matter is not fueled by my own opinion or pig headedness (I am sure it seems that way) , but rather on the reality I have experienced over the last decade of my life.

I will apply my logic to another profession that you missed.

You are not an engineer, therefore, you cannot do math. Seems ridiculous doesn't it?

Quack

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik