DroneDeploy Accuracy

Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently upgraded from a 3DR Solo to a Phantom 4 and am loving the new capabilities I have. I had the chance to utilize DroneDeploy to do aerial surveys of debris sites (I work for a debris contractor and we're doing the clean up for Hurricane Matthew on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina). The resolution of the 2D maps and detail of the 3D renderings are awesome. I was wondering though if anyone had any first hand experience with the accuracy of the "volume" calculator. I know DroneDeploy states it has a very low margin of error but I was hoping somebody would have some firsthand knowledge/ experience.

Heres a link to a video to show what we're doing out there...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Check it out. Hundreds of thousands of cubic yards of debris.

Thanks!

I haven't had confirmation of the volume calculator for Drone Deploy but I did do a survey using Pix4D of a rock stockpile that had previously been surveyed by a survey team and my volume measurement was within 1% of the survey team calculation, and the whole process took me just over an hour using my Phantom 4 and Pix4D.

I have used DroneDeploy's as well as Pix4D Capture for my first photogrammetric missions.. If you're talking about volumes, that's data. So you need to match/consider quality of the data versus cost of acquiring it.

Quality is determined by accuracy (comparing against a known), precision (finess of measurents), and dispersion of repeated measurements (standard deviation).

I don't yet know how to incorporate my GCPs into DroneDeploy, like I do when used the Pix4D Mapper with GCPs for determining volumes. Without using GCPs and check points how does one really know if the data is good?

The issue with DroneDeploy lies with the Camera . As dronedeploy does not have a stop start function, this means any mapping taken will suffer from Rolling shutter, which makes accuracy low. With the likes of the new Phantom 4 Pro, a mechanical shutter eliminates rolling shutter, therefore making DroneDeploy a reliable tool. Other than that, I only use it for Roof inspections or imagery, not mapping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.