Drone winches

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. We are going to start a business delivering food and supplies to hunters,fishermen,campers,hikers,etc.... All in rural non-populated areas. Want to know if anyone could suggest a good rtf platform that comes complete that would be able to safely carry a parcel up to 5 to 6 kg with a operating range of atleast 2 miles and fly fully loaded for a minimum time of 15 to 20 minutes with the parcel.
Also need a winch of some sort that can carry this amount of weight and that can lower the parcel from a maximum height of 200ft, this would be needed to lower into areas congested with trees and dealing with mountains and such, and also for safety reasons to not allow the drone to come in contact with customers. Any input would be appreciated, we are in the early stages of this and if you can maybe even put us in touch with a reputable company that could customize a platform to do what we need would also be great. Thanks for your feedback.
Jimmy T.

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
Well that would be a serious commercial device,definitely not a Phantom,and possibly covered by some serious operating regulations.
Not sure of your country, but most would not permit commercial deliveries of 2 miles, ie beyond visual line of sight, even 0.5 miles is probably beyond VLOS.

I
Well that would be a serious commercial device,definitely not a Phantom,and possibly covered by some serious operating regulations.
Not sure of your country, but most would not permit commercial deliveries of 2 miles, ie beyond visual line of sight, even 0.5 miles is probably beyond VLOS.
Know it most likely would not be a phantom but figured I could get some feed back from here. Would not be delivering parcels from 2 miles. We will also be doing search and retrieval of hunting dogs that get lost, and search and rescue of people, wildlife location and census counts,providing a service to allow potential property buyers to look at land from an Ariel view, etc... Anyway thanks

Matrice 200
Matrice 200 Series: Increased Aerial Efficiency
zzzw.JPG

I am new to this forum. We are going to start a business delivering food and supplies to hunters,fishermen,campers,hikers,etc.... All in rural non-populated areas. Want to know if anyone could suggest a good rtf platform that comes complete that would be able to safely carry a parcel up to 5 to 6 kg with a operating range of atleast 2 miles and fly fully loaded for a minimum time of 15 to 20 minutes with the parcel.
You'd be needing something like this:
AS350-09-lr.jpg

Also need a winch of some sort that can carry this amount of weight and that can lower the parcel from a maximum height of 200ft, this would be needed to lower into areas congested with trees and dealing with mountains and such, and also for safety reasons to not allow the drone to come in contact with customers. Any input would be appreciated, we are in the early stages of this and if you can maybe even put us in touch with a reputable company that could customize a platform to do what we need would also be great. Thanks for your feedback.
Jimmy T.

Really!!! I got on here because a friend told me I would get some good feed back. I did not know they allowed kids on here. Could have gotten better out of my 10 year old (DAUGHTER) there are companies that manufacture platforms that fit my needs but I was hoping to find someone that could maybe save some money on my start up costs. Definately not you though. Go back and play your video games and let the intelligent grown ups handle this okay.
Intelligent? Grownup? There are a lot of smart helpful people on this forum although we do tend to have a bit of a warped sense of humor sometimes. Meta4's response was a not too subtle way of telling you that the requirements you presented would be very difficult if not impossible to meet with any reasonable 'drone'. You've presented some fairly difficult hurdles. Even manned helos would have a difficult time lowering a parcel 200 ft! Lost and found, head counts, etc are all pretty straight forward applications that could be addressed by a number of aircraft including the phantom series and later. It's the whole delivery application that pushes thing out in to "Tomorrow Land"!

Really!!! I got on here because a friend told me I would get some good feed back. I did not know they allowed kids on here. Could have gotten better out of my 10 year old (DAUGHTER) there are companies that manufacture platforms that fit my needs but I was hoping to find someone that could maybe save some money on my start up costs. Definately not you though. Go back and play your video games and let the intelligent grown ups handle this okay.
There are many people on this form with a lot of good knowledge. I think that most people don’t have your vision. They also see a lot of formidable obstacles. To be legal you would have to overcome a lot of government bureaucracy. You would have a lot of trouble keeping contact with your drone as you drop down through the trees to make deliveries.You can only legally fly within sight and sooo much more. It would not seem to be practical at this time.

Your question as which drone platform, I can not answer.

I wish you the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Here you go big boy:
PRODRONE
Knock yourself out with their price. (And don't forget to include at least one backup machine in your cost calculation)
You might also want to look into a few trivial practical details like:
What actual performance would be carrying a load
How it would work with trees and terrain
What affect rules and regulations might have on your idea
Why it is that no-one is using drones for deliveries anywhere despite it being talked about for years​
I was hoping to find someone that could maybe save some money on my start up costs. Definately not you though. Go back and play your video games and let the intelligent grown ups handle this okay.
I was trying to save you some money on startup costs

Was not saying that everyone on here did not have good advice or lacked knowledge or anything like that. I'm the one lacking knowledge, that's why I'm on here. I thought the guy was just being a jerk so I apologize if I over reacted. Prodrones pd6b type II delivery drone is 35,000 but does carry 30 kg for 30 minutes and their winch will lower from a height of over 300 ft. but it's a little outside of my startup budget ...there are drones that can handle the payload, I guess it's the winch I will have to have custom built. Anyway I again apologize for jumping the gun on the attitude man. You guys have a blessed day.

Reactions: BillyN
1st drone lesson.
You need to be careful reading specs.
Published numbers in specs are usually optimistic or absolute best case under optimum conditions.
Prodrones pd6b type II delivery drone is 35,000 but does carry 30 kg for 30 minutes.
The specs on the manufacturers website say:
Max Payload 30 Kg
Flight Time 10-30 mins

It can't carry 30 kg for 30 minutes.
It might be able to carry 30 Kg or fly for 30 minutes .... but it can't do both both
Asking any drone to carry weight will substantially eat battery life. and flight time.

It needs 4 batteries (per flight) and they cost about $300-$400 (each)
How many deliveries would you anticipate per day? You need that many battery sets.

Too bad Lyft is already a company name, be interesting for drone delivery.

I don’t know much on this, but figured I’d toss out that it sounds more like a custom built to order type drone so you can have powerful motors, redundancy, etc. Might be possible to somehow work in a solar panel to aid in battery life during the flight?

Like others have mentioned, your biggest hurdle may be the legality to fly with cargo. There could be a lot of cost in getting approved or paying fines or legal fees if you just jump in.

1st drone lesson.
You need to be careful reading specs.
Published numbers in specs are usually optimistic or absolute best case under optimum conditions.

The specs on the manufacturers website say:
Max Payload 30 Kg
Flight Time 10-30 mins

It can't carry 30 kg for 30 minutes.
It might be able to carry 30 Kg or fly for 30 minutes .... but it can't do both both
Asking any drone to carry weight will substantially eat battery life. and flight time.

It needs 4 batteries (per flight) and they cost about $300-$400 (each)
How many deliveries would you anticipate per day? You need that many battery sets.
Ok thanks for the insight. 35/40 thousand is way outside of our start up budget anyway. Im thinking I'm going to have to lower our parcel payload capacity some. I don't know, get it figured out somehow I guess.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm talking to a companies engineer now about custom building a winch system and drone. Thanks for your advice.

Might be possible to somehow work in a solar panel to aid in battery life during the flight?
No it's not.
A quick look at how much electricity the drone needs to fly and how big an area of solar cells you would need to make that much electricity should quickly tell you why no-one is doing this.
Look a little further into how much the cells would weigh, how much wind resistance they would add and how to mount them and you see how impractical this idea is.
A drone could not carry the solar cells it would take to power it.

Alot of these people on here have no common sense when you ask for help, its all negative bull crap, example- all you can't do that, that's to far, it's illegal, and many more nonsense replys. They can't just give good constructive advice instead of preaching at you, and you sad people know who you are so now i have really gave you something to preach about, come on know it alls

Reactions: cbjharrold
Custom Projects - VulcanUAV
Google Image Result for http://vulcanuav.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/winch-UAV1-3000.jpg

The UAV smart winch developed by us for delivery of light payloads to areas where landing is not possible (such as the top of wind turbines), or for placing of equipment or sensors in hard to reach or no access locations (with the addition of our remotely operated dropping hook – not shown here). The smart winch is integrated into one of our removable quick release landing gear systems for quick swapping of different payloads for different functions.

The winch is almost entirely automated as it must be able to operate well away from clear view of the pilot operator. A downward facing camera is fitted, and the winch is able to monitor it’s position at all times enabling the operator to have no worries about deployment height or correct retraction. A simple three positon switch is all that is needed to operate all winch functions. A number of safety systems are included such as overload protection, signal loss, positional override reset and even an emergency escape procedure in case the winch line were to get tangled or hooked to something on the ground.

Custom Drones | DJI & Custom Drones: Best Price & Warranty | Rise Above

Last edited:
Reactions: skellyrocker
Alot of these people on here have no common sense when you ask for help, its all negative bull crap, example- all you can't do that, that's to far, it's illegal, and many more nonsense replys. They can't just give good constructive advice instead of preaching at you, and you sad people know who you are so now i have really gave you something to preach about, come on know it alls
Yeah, and those laws of physics need to just keep their mouth shut too....

Jimmy T.

I think your best bet would be the Robertson R2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4