Drone videography: top cinematic moves

Always love his stuff.

I only have one thing to add: in the very end technique (Bird's Eye) where he mentions that it's darker when pointing down, he says "you may have to remove the ND filters that you used for previous shots involving the sky" (or something to that effect).

Yes, but we also have Exposure Compensation (EC). If you have a 3-stop ND filter on, changing EC to +3 is much the same as taking the ND filter off.

The EC might not be exactly the same as the ND filter if the one you are using is also a polarizer, but it should be close enough that you don't have to land and take a filter off, then take off again (often with a new battery). He also said that birds-eye is nice to capture when you're flying on your way back home, so just use EC in those cases.

Chris

Reactions: VicVideopIC
Always love his stuff.

I only have one thing to add: in the very end technique (Bird's Eye) where he mentions that it's darker when pointing down, he says "you may have to remove the ND filters that you used for previous shots involving the sky" (or something to that effect).

Yes, but we also have Exposure Compensation (EC). If you have a 3-stop ND filter on, changing EC to +3 is much the same as taking the ND filter off.

The EC might not be exactly the same as the ND filter if the one you are using is also a polarizer, but it should be close enough that you don't have to land and take a filter off, then take off again (often with a new battery). He also said that birds-eye is nice to capture when you're flying on your way back home, so just use EC in those cases.

Chris
Thank you Chris,
I agree with you, in many cases it is fine to modify the brightness without changing ND filter, especially near sunset or sunrise, or in cloudy conditions, as the difference in brightness is not too much.
If it is a middle of a bright day with a lot of light in the sky, I still prefer to change the ND before shooting towards the ground. But, anyway, it is always better to shoot near sunrise or sunset

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20