Drone spotted at 1700 feet in Dallas

mjw

Reaction score
Watching the local news last night, pilot of a small plane spotted a small four prop drone passing under their plane. and near Addison airport. During the interview the news folks went to a drone expert that then started discussing geo-fencing. What is someone trying to accomplish, if indeed the report is correct, doing flying a drone (what the pilot described sound like a Phantom and of course the example used by the news folks was a Phantom) at 1700 feet and over/near an airport. Whoever you are out there, thanks for the bad press!

What is someone trying to accomplish, if indeed the report is correct, doing flying a drone (what the pilot described sound like a Phantom at 1700 feet and over/near an airport. Whoever you are out there, thanks for the bad press!
What were they doing?
Maybe something and maybe nothing.
There are many, many more reports of drone interactions with planes, than there are real drone interactions with planes. Drones are the new UFOs and pilots and other people are "seeing" them all over the place.
It's just like UFO reports in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
The more reports like this, the more drone reports there will be.
Here are just a couple of recent drone incident reports from the FAA's database.
Do you see any that could have been a real quadcopter? (apart from the two stupid ones that have nothing to do with aircraft)
i-hMKvcBR-L.jpg

I also wonder how many real drones have been flying around wildfires.
With the drone hysteria reporting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of those reports are also imaginary.

Reactions: J.James
The one reported by American Airlines Flight 629 on 5 August over Knox, Ind couldn't have been a quad copter.

One good thing for the goverment if any one ever does see a real ufo or a space ship they can just say na it was probably just a drone.

I seen one ufo report that I know had to of been some one that was seeing my phantom based on the day it was there location and it being at about 2am and they described it as having green and red lights and was west of there location. Tho the real funny part was when they seen it land they thought they were seeing it fly away and said it looked to be going about 300 mph or so. lol lol

and one other time while flying out side my house the cops showed up to check out if the ufo reports they had just gotten were maybe just me or the fireman down at the fire house that has one also.

Which that I thought was hilarious as all heck that any one that seen any thing had as there first thought oh no its aliens in a space ship coming to invade earth as there first logical conclusion. Then even more hilarious that there next thought was to call the cops as if cops would be able to of done any thing about a space ship esp being as far as I know there are no laws that make it a crime for space aliens to fly by on a site seeing excursion.. Its not like they would be able to pull them over and give them a ticket even if it was a space ship. lol Tho the cops thought it was funny to but they were able to atleast close out the report and know it was not a space ship and just the guy over on 5th flying his drone like they suspected.

Watch us get attacked by aliens now because everyone is thinking about drones.. Thanks a lot you (*&$'s at CNN.

Has anyone here ever been in the cockpit of a "jet" while in flight? I have flown right seat in a number of jets...mostly Citations. At normal cruising speed --or even while decelerating to drop below the 10k deck- it would be next to impossible to "see" at drone, much less identify it's make and model. Therefore I'm having a really hard time believing that most of these reports could possibly hold water.

As a road warrior I've flown nearly a million miles just on American Airlines during the past 15 years. I've seen planes coming towards the side of the plane on which I was a passenger several times, passing over or under my "ride" in what I would generously describe as a "near miss". Once I was able to read the tail logo (Fed Ex) of the other plane so clearly that I felt sure it would be on the news by the time we landed. Contrary to my expectations, I was informed that no such flight had flown anywhere near enough to cross our flight path that day. I DID see and was able to read that logo on the tail of the other plane...with NO problem whatsoever...regardless of the required 1000 foot separation of flight levels. As we were traveling at close to 550mph (ground speed) I was told that it just "looked close". Of course if it had been a drone I'm certain they would have noticed it and reported it as flying too close for comfort.

The FAA has a funny way of believing some reports and discounting other reports. I guess if I had told them I saw a drone (which would have been impossible) they would've believed me. As it was, I was told that what I saw never happened and couldn't have happened because there was no plane in that airspace at the time. Typical government agency BS. Go figure.

What were they doing?
Maybe something and maybe nothing.
There are many, many more reports of drone interactions with planes, than there are real drone interactions with planes. Drones are the new UFOs and pilots and other people are "seeing" them all over the place.
It's just like UFO reports in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
The more reports like this, the more drone reports there will be.
Here are just a couple of recent drone incident reports from the FAA's database.
Do you see any that could have been a real quadcopter? (apart from the two stupid ones that have nothing to do with aircraft)
i-hMKvcBR-L.jpg

I also wonder how many real drones have been flying around wildfires.
With the drone hysteria reporting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of those reports are also imaginary.
I think the first one was a UFO. Or that old Harvest Gold freestanding dishwasher I once had - that thing was always trying to take off across the kitchen floor - just thought the motor was out of balance but maybe it was trying to fly?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik