Drone scam on craigslist and a fake eBay page

makneyse

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
I found a posting on craigslist in Los Angeles for a brand new Phantom 4+ Pro for $400. It sounded too good to be true but I reached out, just in case. Here's the text I got back:

scam2.JPG

Not the most eloquent text but I emailed the sister anyway and got this reply:

scam7.JPG

Rule #1 on craigslist: Don't buy anything that isn't face to face. After I send Ashley my email address, I get this reply:

scam1.JPG

I click on the link and it takes me to this page:

scam4.JPG

Some of the links on the page don't really work (but some do) and I notice the URL in the email actually points to a different address than what is displayed in that email. It turns out this is a fake eBay page. Boo-urns.

I reported the scam pages to craigslist and eBay.

Be careful out there!

Same ad is on the DC Craigslist. Too good to be true! Buyer beware.

Reactions: makneyse
I found a posting on craigslist in Los Angeles for a brand new Phantom 4+ Pro for $400. It sounded too good to be true but I reached out, just in case. Here's the text I got back:

View attachment 108053

View attachment 108056

Rule #1 on craigslist: Don't buy anything that isn't face to face. After I send Ashley my email address, I get this reply:

View attachment 108054

View attachment 108055

Some of the links on the page don't really work (but some do) and I notice the URL in the email actually points to a different address than what is displayed in that email. It turns out this is a fake eBay page. Boo-urns.

Be careful out there!
A little surprised you went that far, I've used CL a lot, and never had a problem. But, If the seller suggests anything but a direct in person exchange, it's probably a scam. I did do a remote deal on eBay once, but there the buyer sent me a bank check first, I cashed it, and sent him the item. Hard to believe ehe trusted me that much, but there you are. Be careful.

View attachment 108053

View attachment 108056

View attachment 108054

View attachment 108055

Be careful out there!
Exact same scam for a golf cart, and a Jeep. I suspect just about anything, any item for sale on eBay will get this treatment. In the case of the golf cart it wasn't a fake page, it was a screenshot of an actual sale that had expired.

View attachment 108053

View attachment 108056

View attachment 108054

View attachment 108055

Be careful out there!

Phantom 4+ Pro for $400 (First hint is bogus, $400????

There was a scam going around about used cars a year or two back and this sounds familiar I forget the exact details, but the general theme was that a person was going to be deploying overseas, a member of the military, and was desperate to move the vehicle at a well below book value.

You had to send the money right away, and you would get the vehicle within days. A family member would handle the details.

Caveat Emptor. if it sounds too good to be true...

People are definitely working hard to get our money! I've got to hand it to the scammer's attention to detail. If only they applied themselves like that in more honest pursuits.
Thank you everyone for the comments.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I had the same thing happen with a 5th wheel toy hauler last year, everything sounded so legit and it was through a shipping comp. It was actually the finance company that found out it was a scam.

I teach a computer class weekly, and am constantly harking on "Internet security" and "scams."

A good trick is the mouse-over. When you hover your mouse cursor over a link in email, the ACTUAL address will appear in the lower-left-hand corner of your browser.

2.JPG

This trick will reveal fake links and allow you to make an informed decision BEFORE you click.

D

Thanks Harleydude. Yeah, it took me a while but I noticed the URL they included in the message didn't match the addy below. Sneaky sneaky!

Reactions: Harleydude
Beware of Craigslist. I have sold stuff on Craigslist and I get a text saying I really want your item. Send me your email address and my sister will contact you right away with the money. Its a scam. Any any any ad that has a picture of an item with a gmail in the picture is a huge red flag, its a scam. Beware.

Beware of Craigslist. I have sold stuff on Craigslist and I get a text saying I really want your item. Send me your email address and my sister will contact you right away with the money. Its a scam. Any any any ad that has a picture of an item with a gmail in the picture is a huge red flag, its a scam. Beware.

There are MANY red flags with craigslist. For me, it's stupid simple to flush these scammers out. Any text with the word "item" in it is immediately a scam. Anyone who wants "the item" shipped is a scam 95% of the time. Anyone who mentions a "shipper" is a scammer. And on and on. The GOOD news is that legitimate buyers are SUPER EASY to spot. But there's more...

Some buyers are not scammers, but aren't serious, either. They usually simply refuse to reply to text messages, which is ironic since they texted me in the first place. I'll "resend" like a dozen times until they finally get annoyed enough to reply. But there's more...

Some buyers are simply too stupid to buy. Anyone who asks a question that has been clearly answered in the listing is dismissed. You do NOT want stupid buyers...believe me. I don't have time to be a victim of their CONFUSION. I often reply, "Read the listing." Because I am so harsh and hard on buyers, I have enormous success on craigslist. Transactions are quick and easy 99% of the time. No on-the-spot haggling. No stories. No BS. By the time someone has passed through my rigorous craigslist wringer, they are ready to buy with CASH in hand.

I just sold a printer on craigslist last week for 80 bux. I had it listed for $89. The axes, "Will you take $70?" My one word reply, "No." 10 minutes later, "Will you take $80?" My one word reply, "Yes." And moved forward from there. 20 minutes later the printer was gone and I had cash in hand.

D

View attachment 108053

View attachment 108056

View attachment 108054

View attachment 108055

Be careful out there!
I went around and found them in northern CA. and NV. Clicked on the spam alert. Have not seen them it back yet.

View attachment 108053

View attachment 108056

View attachment 108054

View attachment 108055

Be careful out there!
It sounds like credit fraud. They have you phone number then you send them you email address, next more info from you and they can build a credit reference. Just guessing.

There's another one that's going around, people advertising P4P v2.0's but actually selling P4P's with the new props on it and an original box photoshopped into the photo. I spotted this in a second as the v2.0 has a gold DJI logo on top and these had the standard dark grey/gunmetal color logos. As soon as I pointed this out to the seller who I was to meet later in the week ("are you *sure* it's a v2.0?") he contacted me the next day and said an emergency had come up and he needed to use the drone for a job. I searched and found that scam twice in my area (Portland, OR) and a few times up in Seattle as well.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
There are MANY red flags with craigslist. For me, it's stupid simple to flush these scammers out. Any text with the word "item" in it is immediately a scam. Anyone who wants "the item" shipped is a scam 95% of the time. Anyone who mentions a "shipper" is a scammer. And on and on. The GOOD news is that legitimate buyers are SUPER EASY to spot. But there's more...

Some buyers are not scammers, but aren't serious, either. They usually simply refuse to reply to text messages, which is ironic since they texted me in the first place. I'll "resend" like a dozen times until they finally get annoyed enough to reply. But there's more...

Some buyers are simply too stupid to buy. Anyone who asks a question that has been clearly answered in the listing is dismissed. You do NOT want stupid buyers...believe me. I don't have time to be a victim of their CONFUSION. I often reply, "Read the listing." Because I am so harsh and hard on buyers, I have enormous success on craigslist. Transactions are quick and easy 99% of the time. No on-the-spot haggling. No stories. No BS. By the time someone has passed through my rigorous craigslist wringer, they are ready to buy with CASH in hand.

I just sold a printer on craigslist last week for 80 bux. I had it listed for $89. The axes, "Will you take $70?" My one word reply, "No." 10 minutes later, "Will you take $80?" My one word reply, "Yes." And moved forward from there. 20 minutes later the printer was gone and I had cash in hand.

D
My son was selling his car on our equivalent (Gumtree) A woman asked if he would drive it to Canberra for her to check it out Only a 6hr drive there and back This is a car worth only $1500 .

I have seen the ad twice now in DC area. I had the same experience and immediately knew the ebay page was fake. Please report this to the ic3. I have twice now. You can google how to find an ip address through email if you dont already know.

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic