Drone Rescue

Reaction score
Had to perform a drone rescue mission recently. My 7 yr old crashed his drone on the roof of the house the other day. And instead of doing the smart thing and using a ladder I decided to use the phantom 3 for the job. I found a piece of 3ft long parachute cord and an old d clip to make my rig. I had to fly the roof top completely by camera. Which made for an interesting task. The wind was blowing at gust of 8mph but seemed stronger as the roof line created a lot of turbulence. On the third try the wind picked up and sent the phantom to the edge of the roof where my hook clipped on to the gutter. At that point panic set in but I was able to get enough slack in the cord to release. On the 4th try I grabbed his drone and took a victory lap around the neighborhood. Thought some of you would get a kick out of it.

928eb7f8f54a8f95abb95d76e81fb363.jpg

cebd06bc186e7f6cd33bfc72b21345f3.jpg

My dad had a picture of his copter being slung like that when it was shot down in vietnam.
I do hope you locked the rc for his drone in safe before you slung it under the phantom. A launch might not be pretty when he got tired of waiting for your "victory" lap.

My dad had a picture of his copter being slung like that when it was shot down in vietnam.
I do hope you locked the rc for his drone in safe before you slung it under the phantom. A launch might not be pretty when he got tired of waiting for your "victory" lap.
Lol, the exact thought occurred to me. Before I began the rescue I took his controller and turned it off. Only thing I would have done differently would be to lengthen the cord. 3 feet wasn't long enough because of the pitch of the roof. At one point the drone blades were around 12-14" away from the roof.

Lol, the exact thought occurred to me. Before I began the rescue I took his controller and turned it off. Only thing I would have done differently would be to lengthen the cord. 3 feet wasn't long enough because of the pitch of the roof. At one point the drone blades were around 12-14" away from the roof.
I solved that by refusing to buy a house with a high pitched roof. I'm not killing myself fixing it in 40 years. Don't know what people are thinking with these new homes with 20 valleys on them. I guess a high pitch keeps the leaks down in them maybe.
My first drone flight showed 7 shingles ripped off roof in storm the previous weekend, so had to go up and replace them. I did use the latter though.

Your boy's drone looks like a Syma X5C. Congrats on the rescue.

Great job! You should have taken video of the rescue!
My sons drone is a cheap $50 drone we got from Academy sports during black friday. It's a decent little drone.... but definetly not worth risking my phantom over lol. But I like a challenge. A video would have been cool, but I didn't think of that till it was over. Glad the wife got the pics atleast.

It's a toy drone that weighs only a few ounces and has a 300 ft range. I own 5 acres of countryside, nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. So I think it will be ok lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31