Drone recovery - from a tree, on an island, in a reservoir

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my previous drone-recovery video - it ditched in the ocean and I had to dive for it. Well, my piloting decisions can make life difficult at times, and my recent experience was a case in point.

This particular video explains what happened and details the efforts of myself and a friend to recover my drone after another flight gone wrong. It's a 12 minute commitment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yip good perseverance, great story with it ;)
Takes hand catch to new level

Reactions: MTO
Some of you may have seen my previous drone-recovery video - it ditched in the ocean and I had to dive for it. Well, my piloting decisions can make life difficult at times, and my recent experience was a case in point.

This particular video explains what happened and details the efforts of myself and a friend to recover my drone after another flight gone wrong. It's a 12 minute commitment...

Thanks for a totally entertaining video, suggest a catapult would do better than your pathetic stone throwing next time. ;-)

Yes, not something I'd care to repeat. Should of had my gloves on...
True but good catch and hopefully just some prop damage from that tree magnet ?
I sort of thought of TV programme OAK ISLAND when watched,,got your treasure back

I had that happen to me when a huge oak tree in my backyard reached out and ate my first drone. I tried everything to get 'er down. Success finally came when I took my trusty old JC Higgins 22 rifle and kept shooting the same spot on the offending limb.

That night I wrote a great country song titled, "How Can I Get You Out of My Mind When I Can't Get You Out of My Tree"

Reactions: MTO
I had that happen to me when a huge oak tree in my backyard reached out and ate my first drone. I tried everything to get 'er down. Success finally came when I took my trusty old JC Higgins 22 rifle and kept shooting the same spot on the offending limb.

If I started firing a gun into a tree in my back yard I'd have a SWAT team coming through my front door...

True but good catch and hopefully just some prop damage from that tree magnet
More than just prop damage: The struts are bent out of shape, a piece of paneling has broken off - probably from a rock - and when I flew it at the end I got a message that the downward positioning system was malfunctioning. And it wasn't just the drizzle on that final day... there was light rain during two of the nights that it was out in the open. There's probably more damage, as yet undiscovered (it's now in for repairs). I was surprised that it took off. It really took a beating.

Thanks for a totally entertaining video, suggest a catapult would do better than your pathetic stone throwing next time. ;-)
Ida brought another drone and lifted a weight on a strong cord and released it over the treed one to let it drop back down to the ground. Then shook the bugger down. A little trick I learned from Rube Goldberg....

Ida brought another drone and lifted a weight on a strong cord and released it over the treed one to let it drop back down to the ground. Then shook the bugger down. A little trick I learned from Rube Goldberg....
Thought of that, and of lifting my drone out of the tree with another, but we don't have a harness/release mechanism. Also unclear whether Derek's Mavic would have been up to the task power-wise. It probably could have lifted the rope, but the Phantom, I'd guess - no. Plus, as you saw, we couldn't 'shake the bugger down'. We actually had to lift the drone off its perch using the pole.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan