Drone, police helicopter almost collide

I don't understand. I just pointed that we may not fly at night and there is no grey area. From that you conclude we can fly at night? It sounds to me like you're just arguing to argue.

I don't like seeing drone BS from the media. It bothers me. So I point out their BS.

Maybe it doesn't bother you. That's okay.

AC 91-57A is found on FAA.gov and many other places.

AC 91-57A is attached below for your convenience.

Attachments

• AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 142
The bone you are picking is with the media. I understand that.
Been a large number of new members here since Xmas, heck, just since this first of the year.
A few of them have already shown a lack of understanding the laws/rules/regulations/guidelines because they are new and the rules are very confusing.
So when you type what I have quoted below, what is the new Phantom owner led to believe?

"Since when did the FAA have authority to make ANYTHING illegal?

And since when did flying at night become illegal?

AC 91-57A (taken from Public Law 115-95) applies."

Sounds like not only is it legal and ok to fly at night, but the FAA really has no authority over me!

But what you really meant was?:
"I just pointed that we may not fly at night and there is no grey area."

That is confusing. I doubt the new Phantom flyer got the second message.

All I am trying to point out, not to argue with you, but to inform new owners that yeah, you fly at night using FPV and go beyond visual line of sight in an urban setting, you could suffer the consequences. Power lines, RTH with "invisible" trees, poles, etc. that you may not have prepared for, could all bring attention to your night flight and if the local LEO finds your flight to be "reckless" in their opinion, you could be facing fines or a court fight.

You are upset because the media speaks in generalities and not specifics when it comes to the actual laws.

Illegal in Los Angeles now, but when it wasn't I had no problem seeing the bird's lights at night. In some ways it was easier than in a bright sunny sky.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Guy was asking for trouble, you can feel the arrogance through the article. It's sad that it all it takes is 1 out of 1000 to make us all look bad. I hope he's prosecuted to the fullest.

Trust everything you hear or read from the media, as they present it, at your own peril.

Illegal in Los Angeles now, but when it wasn't I had no problem seeing the bird's lights at night. In some ways it was easier than in a bright sunny sky.

This has been my experience too. 1,500 feet distance at night seems about like 500ft distance during the day. Not sure why. But I'm definitely more comfortable at greater distances at night. Go figure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20