Drone license in Belize?

Signed up for an account as I wish I had googled this before I left too.

I had a similar experience. I flew into Belize Thursday, December 8th 2016 and had my drone/backpack seized during customs. The person who seized it was very friendly and said due to a "technicality" You must have a permit to operate this drone in Belize. He filled out a tiny slip of paper with my name and description of my drone (Phantom 3) He taped the carbon copy of it to the case and took it to the back room. Easy Peasy.

But the Custom Deceleration guy was FURIOUS! I didn't declare my drone, (I didn't think I needed to as I wasn't leaving it in the country) I didn't declare my laptop either. He said it was a $2000 fine for failure to declare... So I left it at that.

Sunday (Dec 12th) I went back to customs and gave them my slip as I was headed back to the USA. The guy that seized it was there and went to the little backroom and 10 seconds later came out with my drone. He had me inspect it, then handed it to a security guy who accompanied me until I was ready to board my plane. He was really nice as well. After I had my drone back, I was able to laugh about the situation, but for most of the trip, I thought it would get "lost"

One of the missionaries (US Citizen) at the location where we stayed had a drone and told us it was EXPENSIVE. He had the phantom 3 and after purchasing it, had to pay an additional $400 in Duty. He also said that he couldn't get a permit to fly it as well and had to have someone native get the permit. They also had to give GPS coordinates of the locations where it would be operating.

get a permit from the office of Utilities located in the Bank of Belize building in downtown Belize City. 25 miles from International Airport ....
You must pick it up in person.
Once you have the permit..you can get your drone from customs. ...

What I understand is:
  • Take your drone from USA to Belize but expect it to be confiscated when landing in Belize.
  • Drive 25 miles to Bank of Belize to get a free permit
  • Drive back to airport customs and retrieve your Drone.
Seems really strange that you cannot, somehow, get the permit in advance and avoid the time-waste of the customs official and yourself.

Going in April 2017 for my Honeymoon and am now hesitant to take my quadcopter.

Signed up for an account as I wish I had googled this before I left too.

I had a similar experience. I flew into Belize Thursday, December 8th 2016 and had my drone/backpack seized during customs. The person who seized it was very friendly and said due to a "technicality" You must have a permit to operate this drone in Belize. He filled out a tiny slip of paper with my name and description of my drone (Phantom 3) He taped the carbon copy of it to the case and took it to the back room. Easy Peasy.

But the Custom Deceleration guy was FURIOUS! I didn't declare my drone, (I didn't think I needed to as I wasn't leaving it in the country) I didn't declare my laptop either. He said it was a $2000 fine for failure to declare... So I left it at that.

Sunday (Dec 12th) I went back to customs and gave them my slip as I was headed back to the USA. The guy that seized it was there and went to the little backroom and 10 seconds later came out with my drone. He had me inspect it, then handed it to a security guy who accompanied me until I was ready to board my plane. He was really nice as well. After I had my drone back, I was able to laugh about the situation, but for most of the trip, I thought it would get "lost"

One of the missionaries (US Citizen) at the location where we stayed had a drone and told us it was EXPENSIVE. He had the phantom 3 and after purchasing it, had to pay an additional $400 in Duty. He also said that he couldn't get a permit to fly it as well and had to have someone native get the permit. They also had to give GPS coordinates of the locations where it would be operating.

This really sounds like they have no measures to ensure drones don't fly over "sensitive" areas and to reduce that risk they just implemented a seize everything policy.

Maybe they changed their stance? There was an American with a drone where we stayed and he said he was unable to get a permit because he wasn't a citizen. So he got a local to get one for him. He also said that he had to give gps coordinates of the locations he would be flying.

I really wish i could have flown mine. There isn't hardly any wind and everything looked amazing!

Ricky

I am in Belize right now, I had my drone seized at customs, (they were very friendly about it and didn't expect me to know I was doing anything wrong).

They told me I could go get a permit, but I did not have time that day. So I am sitting in Sarteneja, and thinking about going down tomorrow morning to try and get the permit and pick up my drone.

I don't know if any of you have been to Sarteneja, but the roads are just white maul and full of pot holes so this will be a 2.5 hour drive each way.

I will update if/when I get it.

Wow interesting, i had no idea that they would do this at the airport. Just came back from Belize for Christmas and I had no problem and I would say everyone I met in Belize was trilled to see me flying, now I am realizing that it's most likely because my Mavic was in my camera bag and in a lens sleeve blending in perfectly, I guess people are getting stopped because the cases of phantoms are easy to spot. Portability is everything more than ever I guess.

Thank you for the info it's good to know.

www.stephanecouture.com

Last edited:
The mavic would be the way to go, much more difficult to spot and much easier to carry. The guy asked me what was in my backpack (it was big and bulky and said "drone" all over it) as I was walking through customs.

@Twasnow I'm interested to see if anyone is able to get a permit, as I was told only citizens of Belize were eligible.

Ricky

The mavic would be the way to go, much more difficult to spot and much easier to carry. The guy asked me what was in my backpack (it was big and bulky and said "drone" all over it) as I was walking through customs.

@Twasnow I'm interested to see if anyone is able to get a permit, as I was told only citizens of Belize were eligible.

Ricky
I see I guess this is why, they asked me as well what was in my bag and I just said photographic équipement.... and it is :), I was not trying to hide anything.

Okay so after a 3 hour drive in to the Public Utilities Commission, they informed me that I needn't have gone there, while they do issue the permits for import they are able to do so through an email with licensing confirmation from civil aviation which is at the international airport. so 30 min back towards the airport. (on the upside only 2.5 hours now from Sarteneja)

So I went to Civil Aviation at the airport (when you exit the airport terminal turn right and walk up the road to the security gate and check in (give them your drivers license for a visitors pass) and then you walk over to the building (across the street to the left). the security guard will point you in the right direction.

Now I went in and talked to reception, and of course the person Nirvi Bautista wasn't in that day and there was no one else to talk to. The receptionist asked if I was going to be importing it permanently or temporarily, as there is a complete ban on the temporary import on drones. The customs agent also showed me a copy of a "memo" (on his phone earlier) which stated the rules, the last of which said there is a ban on the temporary import of drones, I brought that up and he said "yes but sometimes they make exceptions") The P.U.C. said they would issue the permit once I was licensed (granted they never asked if I was importing it temporarily).

I did ask what the license cost and she said $30bz. (I was expecting free so maybe she was mistaken and thinking about a commercial license).

Anyway I had to go without my drone, but I will be heading back in Wednesday, and hopefully talking to Nirvi Bautista. Not to import my drone, as I am leaving that day, just to get more information and learn the exact rules (which are apparently constantly changing).. Hopefully I have better luck next year.

So in short, as I currently understand it.

1.) To import a drone you need a license and permit.

2.) You get the license ($30bz ??) from Civil Aviation which is located at the airport.

3.) You get the permit from P.U.C. which according to the P.U.C. can be done through email with civil aviation.

3.) You technically can't import a drone temporarily (but the customs agents apparently make exceptions (this might mean for a small unofficial fee, I didn't get this far yet)

4.) You can import a drone permanently, if you are doing so plan ahead, find a customs agent, so you hopefully don't have to pay the full taxes on the import (otherwise you will be paying a minimum of 40% import duty).

5.) Feel free to try you luck, but don't leave the airport for the P.U.C. before getting your license from Civil Aviation and make sure to ask them to email the P.U.C. for them to issue the permit, they you won't need to leave the airport at all.

6.) If you can get the drone in to the country undetected (this is illegal so don't do it) you still need to go get a license and a permit before you fly... you just won't have to go back and import your drone. (if you don't get your license or permit DO NOT FLY in heavily populated areas, nor at any of the large ruin sites. (altun ha, xunantunich, lamanai) at the smaller ones ask the attendant if they would mind if you flew your drone to take some pictures and tell them you would be more than happy to pay a entrance fee for your drone.

7.) After I hopefully talk to civil aviation on Wednesday I will update again.

Okay so after a 3 hour drive in to the Public Utilities Commission, they informed me that I needn't have gone there, while they do issue the permits for import they are able to do so through an email with licensing confirmation from civil aviation which is at the international airport. so 30 min back towards the airport. (on the upside only 2.5 hours now from Sarteneja)

So I went to Civil Aviation at the airport (when you exit the airport terminal turn right and walk up the road to the security gate and check in (give them your drivers license for a visitors pass) and then you walk over to the building (across the street to the left). the security guard will point you in the right direction.

Now I went in and talked to reception, and of course the person Nirvi Bautista wasn't in that day and there was no one else to talk to. The receptionist asked if I was going to be importing it permanently or temporarily, as there is a complete ban on the temporary import on drones. The customs agent also showed me a copy of a "memo" (on his phone earlier) which stated the rules, the last of which said there is a ban on the temporary import of drones, I brought that up and he said "yes but sometimes they make exceptions") The P.U.C. said they would issue the permit once I was licensed (granted they never asked if I was importing it temporarily).

I did ask what the license cost and she said $30bz. (I was expecting free so maybe she was mistaken and thinking about a commercial license).

Anyway I had to go without my drone, but I will be heading back in Wednesday, and hopefully talking to Nirvi Bautista. Not to import my drone, as I am leaving that day, just to get more information and learn the exact rules (which are apparently constantly changing).. Hopefully I have better luck next year.

So in short, as I currently understand it.

1.) To import a drone you need a license and permit.

2.) You get the license ($30bz ??) from Civil Aviation which is located at the airport.

3.) You get the permit from P.U.C. which according to the P.U.C. can be done through email with civil aviation.

3.) You technically can't import a drone temporarily (but the customs agents apparently make exceptions (this might mean for a small unofficial fee, I didn't get this far yet)

4.) You can import a drone permanently, if you are doing so plan ahead, find a customs agent, so you hopefully don't have to pay the full taxes on the import (otherwise you will be paying a minimum of 40% import duty).

5.) Feel free to try you luck, but don't leave the airport for the P.U.C. before getting your license from Civil Aviation and make sure to ask them to email the P.U.C. for them to issue the permit, they you won't need to leave the airport at all.

6.) If you can get the drone in to the country undetected (this is illegal so don't do it) you still need to go get a license and a permit before you fly... you just won't have to go back and import your drone. (if you don't get your license or permit DO NOT FLY in heavily populated areas, nor at any of the large ruin sites. (altun ha, xunantunich, lamanai) at the smaller ones ask the attendant if they would mind if you flew your drone to take some pictures and tell them you would be more than happy to pay a entrance fee for your drone.

7.) After I hopefully talk to civil aviation on Wednesday I will update again.
Well this is a little anti climatic..

I just got an email back from civil aviation, currently there is a complete ban on the temporary import of drones.

I was told to contact the department prior to my visit next year to see if the moratorium has been lifted...

So try if you want but the long and short is that if customs sees your drone they will keep it until you leave.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: IcySparks
Wow interesting, i had no idea that they would do this at the airport. Just came back from Belize for Christmas and I had no problem and I would say everyone I met in Belize was trilled to see me flying, now I am realizing that it's most likely because my Mavic was in my camera bag and in a lens sleeve blending in perfectly, I guess people are getting stopped because the cases of phantoms are easy to spot. Portability is everything more than ever I guess.

Thank you for the info it's good to know.

www.stephanecouture.com

Thanks for the info! Were you able to get it back through security once through customs?
I'm worried they will confiscate my Mavic through the security gate when they would send my stuff through the scanner when I fly to Placencia

Thanks for the info! Were you able to get it back through security once through customs?
I'm worried they will confiscate my Mavic through the security gate when they would send my stuff through the scanner when I fly to Placencia

Well like I said I did not know about the ban and for me the Mavic was in my camera bag in a lens sleeve with other lenses, camera, batteries and chargers. I guess it's pretty hard to see a drone all folded up in the x ray with all the rest. When I passed custom to get into Belize they just asked me what was in my bag and I just said camera equipment and all was good.

Also if I remember well there was no x ray in Belize to get into the country it was in Dallas in my case, there was a x ray just when you get out and I don't think they care at that point.

I hope this helps a little.

Really wishing my fiance didn't have her heart set on (and airline tickets purchased for) Belize for our honeymoon now.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that by April 2017 there'll be a change of events and flying cameras will be accepted and encouraged.

Hey everyone. Im a Belizean, just got my drone and looking to get my permit etc. I had read this thread before calling Civil Aviation and they confirmed the moratorium on temporary importation for visitors. They are apparently fine tuning their laws and hopefully they come up with a solution soon. What is a bit crazy is they want me to list the GPS coordinates for all the places i plan to use it. That's one heck of a list. On another note i do understand some concern for having these drones everywhere, especially with the type of airplanes that fly around Belize. We have mostly Cessna's that fly at low altitudes and our airstrips are always near tourist areas. San Pedro Ambergris is a good example the airstrip is basically in the town itself. Anyway, my contact promised to update me as things progress and I will update this thread as information comes to me.

Has anyone been able to obtain any new info on Belize requirements.
Got my new P4P for Christmas and have been getting some flight time in preparation to take to Belize in mid March. Looks like I may have to postpone taking it on this trip, as I can't find any specific info regarding laws or licenses required.

Things in Belize do not happen fast, so I highly doubt there has been any change.. feel free to email Nirvi Bautista at civil aviation and ask.

Google search will find the contact form.

Thanks Twasnow - I just sent an email to Nirvi and will follow up with any info (should I receive a reply).

Latest from Belize Department of Civil Aviation.

upload_2017-2-20_12-51-29.png

Really wishing my fiance didn't have her heart set on (and airline tickets purchased for) Belize for our honeymoon now.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that by April 2017 there'll be a change of events and flying cameras will be accepted and encouraged.

IcySparks,

Let me know if anything changes. My wife and I talked about a trip to Belize, I was hoping I could bring the Mavic. After reading this thread we are going to have to pick another place for our next vacation.

We just came back from Costa Rica, no issues whatsoever thru Customs in CR. I brought home a ton of footage that I need to edit and put together in a video.

IcySparks,

Let me know if anything changes. My wife and I talked about a trip to Belize, I was hoping I could bring the Mavic. After reading this thread we are going to have to pick another place for our next vacation.

We just came back from Costa Rica, no issues whatsoever thru Customs in CR. I brought home a ton of footage that I need to edit and put together in a video.

ElGuapo,

Just got back from Belize and had no problems getting the Mavic in. Left it in my backpack and walked right through customs without any problems. It also went through the metal detectors with out any problems in my backpack. Seems like all the care about in the airport was liquids going through the detector. I would say as long as you dont have a giant case or backpack that looks like a drone you're good. Also there are no posted signs stating that you cant bring them in. Throw the Mavic in your bag and you should be fine.

Reactions: jton

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl