Drone license in Belize?

Reaction score
From reading thsee discussions, I assumed laws on drones laws were pretty light in most places. I was planning to take my drone to Belize in a few weeks and did a quick internet search on laws I might need to be aware. I was surprised to see this which states the need of a test and license for drones there
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443035199.966478.jpg

Has anyone been to Belize with their drone

Somehow that information does not seem legit. The website shared on that pic does not work either. I am from Belize and drones seem to be getting more and more popular as I saw a number of those during this month of September for independence celebrations. Your best bet perhaps would be contacting the Department of Civil Aviation here. Here's a link to contacts there: Contact BDCA | Belize Department of Civil Aviation

This is the response I received from the Belize Aviation Dept stating the need for authorization. I have emailed back for more clarity in what this involves, but I'm certainly concerned and disappointed on the logistics and time that may be necessary to use my drone legally
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443148784.458261.jpg

I've traveled several times to Belize with my Phantom. No problems whatsoever...from LA to Miami, then another flight south to Belize.

Same going home...not a glitch at all.

I don't think it's the travel there but the need to get authorization before flying it. I emailed him again for more information on where is this department and for some idea on how complicated this process is with no response. I'm tempted to just take it and try to be inconspicuous in flying it. Has anyone used there in Ambergis Caye?

Ambergris is where we went. Twice there, and twice to Turks and Caicos as well.

No problems, no one at Belize Customs suggested any license, and no one in the area of my flights questioned anything. In fact, we stayed directly across the street from the San Pedro Police headquarters.

Many were interested in watching, but not a word about any potential license or permit.

Thanks for the input. I've emailed the guy with the response above twice for more detail on this process with no answer. I have no idea where this department is located. I'll just take it and use some reason in staying away from crowds. Would u recommend the word "drone" if asked by airport security or something more vague like toy helicopter or remote camera ?

I generally just mention its a flying camera.

We're on vacation...we bring our cameras. One of them flies

Also, you'll be on Ambergris, not on the mainland. You'll be fine. As you said. away from crowds...all is well.

Hello,

I was also looking for information about permits to flying drones in Belize, but I am particularly interested in getting a permit to fly it over the ruins of Nim Li Punit. Someone told me that i needed a permit, but I don't know if that is true and if so, where and how do I get a permit.

Could someone help me with this please? I

I'm actually leaving tomorrow. No response from the aviation people after their first response. I'm taking my drone anyway. Will be using it on Ambergis Caye. Will let u know how it goes. Have had a hard time getting any sort of answer from anyone. Hoping for the best

I'm actually leaving tomorrow. No response from the aviation people after their first response. I'm taking my drone anyway. Will be using it on Ambergis Caye. Will let u know how it goes. Have had a hard time getting any sort of answer from anyone. Hoping for the best
Any update on how everything went?

Yes I took it a week ago and had no problems w airport security or flying it on Ambergis Cay. I know of two other people there w Phantoms during the same time frame as well and they no issues at all

From reading thsee discussions, I assumed laws on drones laws were pretty light in most places. I was planning to take my drone to Belize in a few weeks and did a quick internet search on laws I might need to be aware. I was surprised to see this which states the need of a test and license for drones thereView attachment 31636

Yes..just got back..drone seized at customs...you must have a permit from the health authority in the bank of belize building...it's free..they will not email it.
Cost me $90.00 to fly back to mainland and back to Ambergris Island.if you get caught flying it without permit ..that will seize it. Contact me at [email protected]. .If you need more info.

I don't think it's the travel there but the need to get authorization before flying it. I emailed him again for more information on where is this department and for some idea on how complicated this process is with no response. I'm tempted to just take it and try to be inconspicuous in flying it. Has anyone used there in Ambergis Caye?

I just returned from belize. Drone was seized at customs. You must get a permit from the office of Utilities located in the Bank of Belize building in downtown Belize City. 25 miles from International Airport
They will not email the free permit.You must pick it up in person.Once you have the permit..you can get your drone from customs. If you get caught with drone without notifying customs upon arrival..you may be fined and drone seized. If you are caught using drone without permit. ..it will be seized with a long and expensive process to get it returne
From reading thsee discussions, I assumed laws on drones laws were pretty light in most places. I was planning to take my drone to Belize in a few weeks and did a quick internet search on laws I might need to be aware. I was surprised to see this which states the need of a test and license for drones thereView attachment 31636

I just returned from belize. Drone was seized at customs. You must get a permit from the office of Utilities located in the Bank of Belize building in downtown Belize City. 25 miles from International Airport
They will not email the free permit.You must pick it up in person.Once you have the permit..you can get your drone from customs. If you get caught with drone without notifying customs upon arrival..you may be fined and drone seized. If you are caught using drone without permit. ..it will be seized with a long and expensive process to get it returned.Believe me...it will cost you a minimum of $150.00, airfare from Ambergris to mainland, taxi fare, airfare back to Ambergris. .

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivan C
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.7px Arial; color: #141414; -webkit-text-stroke: #141414; background-color: #ffffff} span.s1 {font-kerning: none} span.s2 {font-kerning: none; color: #701520; -webkit-text-stroke: 0px #701520}

I'm currently in Belize. I wish I had read your comment before leaving the US. This is my second time bringing the drone to Belize. The first was in Dec 2015 and I had no problem. The custom rep asked me about the drone and told me to pay $20US for taxes. That was all. Although it was strange that I had to pay for something I was not going to leave in the country, I went ahead and did what he said.

Then last week when I tried to bring it back it was seized by a custom official that did not have anything in writing to show why he was seizing it. They didn't even know what I was supposed to do instead they pointed me to Civil Aviation. The rep told me to go get a permit and he will release it after I bring the permit back. I gave it to him for storage. When he opened a locked door, a little peek inside revealed about 10 DJI drone cases. These were all seized without any documentation as to why. So I proceeded to Civil Aviation in the rain only to find out that the person in charge, Mr. Lindsay Garbutt, was out of the office for the day. I spoke with Mrs. Nirvi Bautista (Airworthiness Assistant / SSP Assistant Coordinator), who told me that they do not issue permits and that all I had to do was to take the receipt I had collected from Custom to the storage area and collect my drone. This is where the real confusion began. I went back over to the customs area and told the person whom I had spoken to earlier what the lady at the aviation office said. He said he could not release it to me. The custom reps had no knowledge why they were taking people's drone. All they knew was that Civil Aviation had told them that they must seize all drones. I went back to the CA building about five times to be pushed around again by Mr. Nigel Carter (Chief Operations Officer / State Safety Programme Coordinator) who told me that his department had a round table and they had voted on seizing all drones. When I asked him to show me something in writing that said they can enforce such strict law, he could not produce anything. He kept on telling me that all tourist coming into Belize are no longer allowed to bring and operate drones in Belize. As to the permit, only Belize Nationals can apply and receive a permit to fly. Here is where I am at a lost. He also stated that if the drone is brought into the country it is not allowed to be taken back out of the country. To me it seems as though the CA authorities have no clue, don't know what they are doing and are making up the rules as they go along. There are no proper documentations to justify their actions. This is very unsat and I think they need to get their act straight before someone takes some legal steps to make sure they do the right thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4