Drone impact study on turbine engines

I suspect (sadly) that the critics will argue an 8 lb. test subject does not represent what many would consider to be the most common types of MRs.

It just makes sense though that the effects would be different than striking a flight-able animal composed mostly of hollow bones, soft tissue, water and feathers.

Reactions: BigAl07
I would guess that a 3lb Phantom with it's extremely dense LiPo battery would do more damage than an 8lb bird made of hollow bones, muscle, and liquids.

That article was released Oct 2015. I'm genuinely surprised I've not seen it before and there's not been anything else like it released since.

That's interesting!

I found another version of it where someone on the ground also shows the flameout after the bird strike and the engine stop here:

Sounds like someone on the ground took over control from the pilot and steered it to that empty field to crash. Don't know if the ground had control over the eject part though.

Sounds like someone on the ground took over control from the pilot and steered it to that empty field to crash. Don't know if the ground had control over the eject part though.

I think you've got toooo much time flying your bird from the ground... o_O

There is no way to ground control an F16. That was the PIC flying that crippled bird and him talking to his backseat (and the air controller).

SB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl