drone hating taken to a new low

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come we never see a media hit piece on telephoto lenses? Anybody can crawl up a tree in your neighbor's yard or across the street and film you getting undressed through your bedroom window. So why arent telephoto lenses seen as "evil devices that can only cause invasion of privacy" ?? Why is it only a plastic toy with whirring prop blades that can cause this kind of paranoia ??

Like I said numerous times --- drone pilots got NOTHING to apologize for if we're doing nothing wrong. We need to stand up for OUR rights that were given to use by God and country. If some ( Mod Removed ) wants to march up to me in an aggressive manner and falsely accuse me of "harassing" him or his stupid dog with a drone, he's gonna be in a world of hurt lickety-split. Drone pilots need to be the attack dogs!

Exactly, 100% agreed. I fly safely and responsibly and refuse to apologize for doing nothing wrong. If someone has a problem with my safe and legal sUAV flights they are in need of therapy and maybe a soft blanket to cuddle.
One thing we really need to do is call out fake news like the recent "investigative report" by the Today Show which discussed the crisis of keeping toms all across the nation using "drones" to spy on people. According to this report-
you can't hear this flying weedwacker right outside your window. And while you can spend hundreds of dollars cash to buy one of these consumer drones to spy on people and not register it with the FAA, you can't get a set of curtains or blinds for your windows to keep it from seeing you in your home. What?!??
The people who should be apologizing are the reporter and the crew with him for putting out a hit piece like this to all of the gullible housewives who watch these network morning infotainment programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chazzm
Reactions: dirkclod
Well, that settles the debate then.

If telephoto lenses are perfectly legal --- then it's perfectly OK for me to fly my drone over private property. The mere act of flying over someone's private property is not the invasion of privacy --- it's the camera attached to the drone that can do the dirty deed. But if telephoto lenses arent getting banned, then neither should drones.

facepalm.gif

Take A Chill Pill Kydd .

I go on vacation for a week, I come back, and find this brawl going on. Alright then. If you own a "drone" and fly it within public sight, like it or not, you're an ambassador for this sport. As many others above have wisely commented, you can either be a good ambassador or let your attitude get in the way and be a bad ambassador. Given the unfair bad press that our sport has received, we need all the "good" ambassadors we can get. As always, just my two cents. I'm going on vacation again if anyone needs me.

A Very well said Post "Running " !......I'm with You 100%......I always take time with on lookers to answer any questions about my drone and what i'm doing..Even IF i have to land and give the people a nice close look of it....thats not a problem with me....we never really know whos asking the questions ..a off duty police officer..a future possible drone owner......a towns Mayor where you are flying from.....or merely a passer by thats curious...I'm polite to all......like "Running" above states.....we are Ambassadors to the great world of Drones ! Fly Safe and enjoy the sport !

Exactly, 100% agreed. I fly safely and responsibly and refuse to apologize for doing nothing wrong. If someone has a problem with my safe and legal sUAV flights they are in need of therapy and maybe a soft blanket to cuddle.
One thing we really need to do is call out fake news like the recent "investigative report" by the Today Show which discussed the crisis of keeping toms all across the nation using "drones" to spy on people. According to this report-
you can't hear this flying weedwacker right outside your window. And while you can spend hundreds of dollars cash to buy one of these consumer drones to spy on people and not register it with the FAA, you can't get a set of curtains or blinds for your windows to keep it from seeing you in your home. What?!??
The people who should be apologizing are the reporter and the crew with him for putting out a hit piece like this to all of the gullible housewives who watch these network morning infotainment programs.

I’m seriously having issues with this whole segment on ‘Spying drones! There was so much said that was absolutely untrue it boggles the mind!!! And was there ANY rebuttal??? I think to be fair and honest they should allow equal time on the air for pilots like us to be able to respond to the allegations made!!! It’s quite obvious that this person had absolutely no idea at all what he was talking about!!! I’d love to be allowed on the air to refute his claims!!!

Reactions: Cellblock776
It's called "drone envy". period. And ,,, accordingly, I'm soon gonna have enough clips to put a good video together on it. Flippin' birds is the most common way to show off their envy, but also snowballs, rags, beer cans, and the most dangerous, hockey pucks. In fairness, sometimes I've been within their 'airspace', sometimes happenstance, and sometimes they've come and hunted me down. One kid told me that they saw it on a Mountain Dew (Thank You PepsiCo!!!!! - the power of suggestion at work ,,,,) Commercial and that it was cool to try and bring them down ... so they try and do just that!

Attachments

• rag1.jpg
    rag1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 353
It's called "drone envy". period. And ,,, accordingly, I'm soon gonna have enough clips to put a good video together on it. Flippin' birds is the most common way to show off their envy, but also snowballs, rags, beer cans, and the most dangerous, hockey pucks. In fairness, sometimes I've been within their 'airspace', sometimes happenstance, and sometimes they've come and hunted me down. One kid told me that they saw it on a Mountain Dew (Thank You PepsiCo!!!!! - the power of suggestion at work ,,,,) Commercial and that it was cool to try and bring them down ... so they try and do just that!

That's the essence of my post in here --- we should NOT be apologizing first --- we need to go into ATTACK MODE first !!

I've had people throw rocks and baseballs at my very expensive P3 Pro when flying at a public park. These idiots apparently think it's OK to try to knock a drone out of the sky --- although most states classify this as FELONY VANDALISM if the property being damaged is over $1,000.

Let's stop this nonsense about "turn the other cheek and apologize first" mentality --- let's face the dirty truth that many people out there are our ENEMIES and need to be dealt with as such.

Them rock throwers dont think where them rocks could go and injure You badly or someone else....and might even cause a death !

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
That's the essence of my post in here --- we should NOT be apologizing first --- we need to go into ATTACK MODE first !!

I've had people throw rocks and baseballs at my very expensive P3 Pro when flying at a public park. These idiots apparently think it's OK to try to knock a drone out of the sky --- although most states classify this as FELONY VANDALISM if the property being damaged is over $1,000.

Let's stop this nonsense about "turn the other cheek and apologize first" mentality --- let's face the dirty truth that many people out there are our ENEMIES and need to be dealt with as such.
Dibs on all this guy’s extra batteries when he gets locked up. I’m assuming the drone itself will be seized as evidence...

The thing is, in the Today Show segment they use a Phantom 4 that they claim is their normal "drone" used for filming stories. You can clearly see the FAA registration number on the front of the UAV. They are using what I have to assume is a Part 107 pilot to pilot the aircraft.
I have to think that this hit piece would cause anyone seeing their "drone" to act out in fear due to the misinformation they are responsible for putting out to the public. So anytime they use this "drone" to film a segment in the future they run the risk of a citizen calling in a bogus complaint of a flying spy camera looking into their house or a homeowner trying to knock it out of the air. They are doing nothing but harming themselves. The pilot who flies for them is going to have to deal with the paranoid public now. Each time he flies for work or on his off time for fun or to practice, he is going to have to risk people calling the police or assaulting him. It makes him, a Part 107 FAA certified professional pilot, look like nothing more than a glorified peeping tom. It makes all of us look bad.
I don't know how to counter stories like this. Until the Model Aircraft/UAV hobbiests and professionals come together and actively, vocally, speak out against inflammatory "news" segments like this we are never going to be able to operate without having to worry about someone who saw a report like this and decides to destroy our aircraft or assault the pilot for being a pervert with a flying camera.

I don't know how to counter stories like this. Until the Model Aircraft/UAV hobbiests and professionals come together and actively, vocally, speak out against inflammatory "news" segments like this we are never going to be able to operate without having to worry about someone who saw a report like this and decides to destroy our aircraft or assault the pilot for being a pervert with a flying camera.

That is EXACTLY why I am imploring the entire drone pilot community to band together and stop this "Apologize First" garbage. If all we do is apologize first and they keep running hit pieces on us and paint us as nothing but Peeping Toms or worse, why should we just turn the other cheek and take the punishment?

We NEED to be the AGGRESSORS or our hobby will die quickly. If someone walks up to you in a public place and shoves their finger in your face with an attitude --- you stick your FIST in their face and tell them to back off or face further misery. If some dog-lover is complaining about the "buzzing noise" over a dog park, you fly your drone lower and faster over them to let them know a yapping dog is a bigger noise violation than a harmless Phantom. If some local media outlet posts a hit piece about "Peeping Tom drones" --- you call up a reporter and show them how you assisted the local police dept. with a search & rescue mission using aerial video, or helped a business track down thieves with your "eye in the sky".

I'm with the 'good ambassador' members on this one. An aggressive 'I'll punch your lights out' attitude does no one any good except maybe make that person feel tough. No one said you have to kiss a$$ when people approach you, but you should be civil and respectful.
I've never had someone approach me and 'stick their finger in my face', but I have had people that suggest they would shoot my drone out of the sky if they saw it flying over their property. That's fine. I just don't fly it over their property. I don't need the hassle with the police reports and insurance claims, let alone the delay in getting my phantom replaced.
For the most part the general public is just ignorant of drones and a little education is all they need. Not an a$$ whooping.
We don't need another morning show highlighting how ALL drone operators are dangerously aggressive people that must be stopped.
Unfortunately, there are people that have a f.. you attitude in all aspects of their lives. Some even fly drones.

I'm with the 'good ambassador' members on this one. An aggressive 'I'll punch your lights out' attitude does no one any good except maybe make that person feel tough. No one said you have to kiss a$$ when people approach you, but you should be civil and respectful.
I've never had someone approach me and 'stick their finger in my face', but I have had people that suggest they would shoot my drone out of the sky if they saw it flying over their property. That's fine. I just don't fly it over their property. I don't need the hassle with the police reports and insurance claims, let alone the delay in getting my phantom replaced.
For the most part the general public is just ignorant of drones and a little education is all they need. Not an a$$ whooping.
We don't need another morning show highlighting how ALL drone operators are dangerously aggressive people that must be stopped.
Unfortunately, there are people that have a f.. you attitude in all aspects of their lives. Some even fly drones.

Nice.

As far as the amoymous Keyboard Kommandos... they’re full of heated atmosphere.
They are not going to do any of the things they suggest in the real-world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl