Drone for SWAT operations

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been tasked by my boss to do some research on drone for SWAT operations. This would be specifically, and mostly for indoor work. I need help with what direction to start my research. I need a product that does....
1) Can take off and be assembled from the yard of suspect residence.
2) Can fly around outside of house and look into windows
3) Can fly from outside, and into a open front door, and look around the house
4) Easy to fly
5) No more than $10K a piece
6) Can broadcast image to user from out in the yard.
7) Needs to be ready "off the shelf", and without too much custom building

I'm starting to look at the Phantom 4, as they are cheap and we can buy new ones if we smash them up. But I worry that they would be too big. Thank you in advance!

Just some comments on your requirements above:
  • The Phantom 4 (and all other DJI aircraft) must be flown direct line of sight. If an obstacle comes between the remote controller and the Phantom, the remote controller and downlink (video) will disconnect.
  • You'll have to be very close to people in order to make out their faces (if that's a requirement)

Ok, copy that. It would for sure be not in line of sight then. And we don't need to see faces per se, just if there is a body there or not.

Most of these drones need to have LOS. You can get to a higher position though and fly around the house , but the Remote still needs LOS for a live video feed. For portability, a dji Mavic, but one thing the phantom has over the mavic is a larger field of view. The Mavic may be super portable, but the image is cut off compared to the dji phantom 4.

Most of these drones need to have LOS. You can get to a higher position though and fly around the house , but the Remote still needs LOS for a live video feed. For portability, a dji Mavic, but one thing the phantom has over the mavic is a larger field of view. The Mavic may be super portable, but the image is cut off compared to the dji phantom 4.
And if you are on swat.. cool... thanks for protecting us.

Wifi signal chops the signal up, so just a heads up. If you do get a phantom, then get a boosted Remote with an upgraded antenna since it will durastically improve the signal. Plus, if ever you break the phantom, all you have to do is get a new drone for a fraction of a full setup, but the Modded RC you can always keep and link to other phantoms

From experience though, it doesn't really have to be LOS. There can be some interference, like a house in front of you. THE phantom will still be able to go some distance and descend house level, but that was with a modded itelite dbs antenna. If that gets boosted, then I imagine it will work even better. I ordered a boosted amplifier. I mean I can test it here in the suburbs and let you know how it goes..If I do test it, then I can go like a block away and fly around a building at around window level. One drawback is that the phantom can be loud, so a person inside a house may hide from the noise.

Last edited:
The Mavic can be flown via Wi-Fi (no remote controller required), but it only has a max range of 80 meters when unobstructed. I don't know how well the Wi-Fi will penetrate objects.

Eifi
The Mavic can be flown via Wi-Fi (no remote controller required), but it only has a max range of 80 meters when unobstructed. I don't know how well the Wi-Fi will penetrate objects.
If you are looking for indoor then the Mavic is supppsed to be more stabilized.

Hello all, I have been tasked by my boss to do some research on drone for SWAT operations. This would be specifically, and mostly for indoor work. I need help with what direction to start my research. I need a product that does....
4) Easy to fly

I'm starting to look at the Phantom 4, as they are cheap and we can buy new ones if we smash them up. But I worry that they would be too big. Thank you in advance!
You can always contact DJi directly too since this is regarding Law Enforcement. I believe they can mod certain drones to best serve your needs. I'm not sure about this, but you can always ask.

4) Easy to fly

Figure out how to post an industry request for information. It will help you get an unintuitive from many providers rather than this forum only, which is focused on DJI products.

I too am in Law Enforcement and use a Phantom 2 vision plus. I find that it works very well and keeps or unit much safer. I believe that even a p3 standaed would serve you well. We use ours for search and rescue, evidence collection, and recently searching for a wanted person. Make sure your agency either gets a COA or someone takes the 107 test, which I did. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm a retired LEO, and I wanted our agency to incorporate UAS into our arsenal of LE tools. I retired before any realization of that, but I'm still interested in what's out there so I can hopefully get another officer to get a program started. I'm sure now that drones are becoming more mainstream for LE and other public safety duties, there are tons of companies popping up to fulfill the need. Here is just one: Police - Fire - Search and Rescue Drones

I can see how a Mavic Pro and a P4 can help in some situations, but in very limited ways. Just fyi, there is a company called "Walkera" who has a drone I'd be very interested in, and I'd like to see DJI go this way with its Phantom line. The Walkera Voyager 4 has an 18x optical zoom feature, real time HD downlink and retractable landing gear in a package which appears to be a little more robust than the Phantom line.

Still, for LE work, and especially SWAT work, I'd look at those professional level drones which are more robust and capable, especially with the use of FLIR cameras. Good luck and stay safe.

there is a company called "Walkera" who has a drone I'd be very interested in, and I'd like to see DJI go this way with its Phantom line. The Walkera Voyager 4 has an 18x optical zoom feature, real time HD downlink and retractable landing gear in a package which appears to be a little more robust than the Phantom line.
Unfortunately Walkera drones have a very poor reputation.
DJI also have released a high magnification zoom lens camera recently.
DJI Debuts Drone Cam with 30x Zoom; Made for Industrial Use, Not Creeps

Unfortunately Walkera drones have a very poor reputation.
DJI also have released a high magnification zoom lens camera recently.
DJI Debuts Drone Cam with 30x Zoom; Made for Industrial Use, Not Creeps
Yep, Walkera is one company I haven't really investigated past the reporting of their newly to be released Voyager 4 with the peeping Tom 18x optical zoom. I'm hoping that their Voyager line is a more serious line than their drug store level drones, but I just don't have any personal knowledge. I can tell you again, I really like the apparent robustness of the design where the motors aren't attached to a plastic body like the Phantom line. Again, if Walkera has an overall bad reputation, I'm hoping it is of their lower line of drones and not necessarily their Voyagers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20